Join Early Retirement Today

State tax treatment of federal annuities
Old 08-12-2016, 03:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

State tax treatment of federal annuities

http://www.narfe.org/pdf/StateTaxRoundupTaxYear2015.pdf

Does anyone know if North Carolina tax treatment for tsp withdrawals continues to be the same for the surviving spouse?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
The article is addressing how different states tax the defined benefit retirement plans of the federal government, FERS and CSRS. It is not specifically applicable to TSP withdrawals. TSP is a defined contribution plan, very similar to a 401k plan.

NC uses federal AGI as the starting point. A quick look at the NC instructions does not show any adjustments allowed to the AGI for TSP or any other type of defined contribution plan. It appears that any TSP withdrawals are taxed by NC as income same as federal.

For people who have 5+ years of federal service befor 1989, csrs pension and tsp withdrawals I believe are not taxed under Bailey decision. My question is whether surviving spouse tsp withdrawals would continue to receive the same treatment.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Call the NC Dept of Revenue. Further research shows the TSP is subject to the Bailey decision but don't know about survivor benefits.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
Call the NC Dept of Revenue. Further research shows the TSP is subject to the Bailey decision but don't know about survivor benefits.

Thanks for looking into my question. Great idea to call the NC revenue dept!