Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you staying the course so far (and in the foreseeable future)/
I am maintaining or increasing my equity holdings 209 90.48%
I am slowly/rapidly decreasing my equity holdings moving to cash or other safer holdings 22 9.52%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm buying equities and REITs. I haven't sold anything since the Clinton years when I sold some long-term bonds after interest rates dropped and I realized a large capital gain on them.

I do all my rebalancing by purchasing with new money.

Sure, I'm taking a beating right now in the market, but I'm sure it's mostly a give-back of unrealized gains than a loss of principal. I'm still adding more every month to my net worth than is being taken away. I can go back to working full-time and overtime to add even more..........nah.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just heard some dude on Bloomberg say he thinks the market will decline another 20%. Jimmy Rogers says Fed is screwing up big time and markets will pay the price even more. Hmmmm.........wish I had listened to some of these guys earlier.

DVY owners, have you sold or holding? Contains a ton of financials. Hard to see financials doing anything for quite sometime. What are you guys buying that say you are buying?

My concern on DVY is that by the time the financials hit bottom and have driven DVY down, they will be replaced in the index for having cut their dividends. It is less of an index and more of a mechanical trading system from what I have read on it's stock selection. I spent a little time looking into the timing of when a stock is changed but I don't think they are actually eliminated from the Dividend Achievers until they actually cut their dividend by which time it has long since been priced in.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:42 AM   #23

We are 45% cash and have been so for years so it's not been quite so terrifying to see the markets plunge. I must admit we are sleeping better at night to know that nearly half of our portfolio is earning 8%.

New money in the market this year has been funded mainly thru 401k contributions. I maxed out before I quit my job, DH is almost done for the year. Other than that we probably invest another $3k a month in mutual funds and individual stocks thru DRIP plans. No plan to change that at this time. However, we did perform a review of our individual stocks recently at cut loose a few.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Staying the course, but it's not easy. As the bad news and gloomy outlook in the media continue, the downward trend gains momentum, but I'm also worried about being among the last to sell, and not getting back in quickly enough, so I'll grit my teeth and hang on.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

As much as it can be painful we continue DCA'ing in 401k's and RothIRA's into mostly equities. We also continue taxable DCA'ing. However we sold two 'dog' DRIP plans after reading that it's GOOD to do tax-loss harvesting. In return I hope BUD deal will be closed by YE, so the 'dogs' would offset gains on BUD.
I'm considering to re-open the same 'dog' DRIP plans and invest the left over money after the sale and see how we'll do then. This is part of our 'fun money' so it won't hurt very much if we lose (and learn that we're bad stock-pickers), but maybe we'll win :confused:.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:26 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

DCA into retirement accounts. If the major indexes drop another 5%, I will be buying Spyders and Diamonds and Cubes, oh my.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #27

Here are the emails from my wife:

Vanguard is down to 29.94

We bought dodge and cox at 50.47. it is currently at 38.65

I just finished increasing our weekly investments.

That's why I like her.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Here are the emails from my wife:

Vanguard is down to 29.94

We bought dodge and cox at 50.47. it is currently at 38.65

I just finished increasing our weekly investments.

That's why I like her.
Haha, doesn't mess around, straight to the point. She is a straight shooter with upper management written all over her.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #29

Still 100% SP 500 index funds. When I am employed again, I will be tempted to set my 401(k) contribution to 50% of my salary for a while to take advantage of what seems to be a buying opportunity as well as to max it out for 2008.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #30

I'm buying in my SEPP and 401k every pay period. I'm glad I've become a fixed asset allocator at 60/40. My instinct for the last 20 or 30 S&P points has been to go 100% equities. So far, I've successfully resisted the urge. I was 90% until last August. I guess in retrospect I was a genius.

BTW - Initial earnings are beating consensus and last years earnings. Overall, things look pretty good in the first week of earnings season. None of this seems to matter for more than a few seconds. Everyone is too busy panicing about what might happen to the financial stocks. If it continues its current decline, Bank of America should be at zero by the time its earning are actually announced on July 21. That ought to be a wild day for BAC.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #31

Quote:
We are 45% cash and have been so for years so it's not been quite so terrifying to see the markets plunge. I must admit we are sleeping better at night to know that nearly half of our portfolio is earning 8%.
Dangermouse, where is cash getting 8%? Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I'm pretty impressed that 90% of posters are staying the course! It's been a pretty scary downturn so far.

Good to know I'm in good company even if I am insane.....

Audrey
Old 07-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm pretty impressed that 90% of posters are staying the course! It's been a pretty scary downturn so far.

Audrey
Im going down with the ship. Maybe we could have a band playing on the deck!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Staying the course according to the asset allocation I pulled out of my ass my scientifically chosen asset allocation. IGR was triggered today, so I bought 350 shares. Otherwise, sinking holding fast...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Audrey
I think polls/threads such as this one would be much more informative (at least to me) if they included information as to each posters retirement status. Has the board ever considered adding this information? Could it be done like the 'dryer sheet' icon?

It seems as though 'staying the course' is different for someone ten years from retirement and one who is already retired.

Would anyone else be interested?

BTW I'm retired and staying the course.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Biker Dude,

I agree with your suggestion 100%. It is frustrating to not know the retirement status of the posters. To me it adds a great deal more context to people's questions and answers.

I am planning to retire in about 1 year and am staying the course and planning to buy additional equity this week (DCA).
Old 07-15-2008, 07:42 PM   #37

Have not touched mine. 20 years until I start withdrawing. I still contribute 18% of my salary and have not changed the asset allocations in a year+.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

A few years from F/T retirement but still aggressively rebalancing my 70/30 portfolio. The good news is that I think I have enough realized capital losses to last a lifetime.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Same here - I rebalanced (bought more equities) even though I am already retired.

BTW - this is my second bear market since retiring. During 2000-2002 I had the (good fortune?) to be averaging into the market. This time I get to experience a bear market while fully invested.

Audrey
Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I think polls/threads such as this one would be much more informative (at least to me) if they included information as to each posters retirement status. Has the board ever considered adding this information? Could it be done like the 'dryer sheet' icon?

It seems as though 'staying the course' is different for someone ten years from retirement and one who is already retired.

Would anyone else be interested?

During the early period on this board people more or less knew one another's status. Who was retired, who had COLA pensions, whose husbands or wives were still working at professional careers, etc. But there are so many people now that it gets confusing.

FYI, I am single, retired for over 20 years, no pension or SS (though I will take SS eventually)-and I would not even consider selling any equities now, other than to realize tax losses and re-deploy into similar investments. I have not even done any of this. Of course I have handpicked my stocks, and they almost all are income producers. It is conceivable and maybe even likely that I would never need to sell stocks for living expenses.

I had a lot of cash reserves, some of which I have invested too early it seems. But one almost never does investing optimally. Good enough is an adequate target.

Ha