Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I never get mistaken for the help, and I don't get snubbed in stores. Even my small, cheap car doesn't seem to fool anybody.

I used to, though, when younger. In fact, when I was 20, a store owner accused me of stealing a sterling silver necklace I'd left with him on layaway (anyone remember layaway?) He reduced me to tears, and when he finally located the piece, which he'd naturally misplaced, he was so ashamed of himself (I think) that he wouldn't apologize.

Amethyst

Oh you were too kind and graceful to have let it end in that manner. I would have held him accountable with a string of expletive deletes that if the conversation was replayed on tv a listener would have no clue to what was going on because only about one word a sentence would not be beeped out. And at 20 I already knew how to do this!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Mulligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
My grandfather worked his way up from nothing to lawyer and eventually to judge. During their later, affluent years, my grandparents lived in a ritzy neighborhood, but my grandfather still drove a beater. A wealthier man in the neighborhood admonished him one day: "You aren't rich enough to drive that car."

So, even back in the 1930s, "stealth wealth" was sometimes known to be a "humble brag."
I like this. As for me, I am one of those BMW drivers. Just really enjoy the way it drives and the comfort/road connection. Now granted, my 5 series station wagon was bought at 248,000 miles, and with 312,000 I'm looking for a replacement, but damn - I look and feel good in that 14 year old car.
__________________

__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
A good reason to move.
My first LOL of the day!
__________________
Jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
All this talk of people lying and changing their stories after an accident scare me. Luckily, my wife and I don't have much experience with auto accidents. It got me to thinking, is it best to always call the police to file a police report? Do they not come out for minor accidents? I am guessing it probably depends on how big a city you live in?
I do. In this area they will respond as long as; there's not a snow or ice emergency, if no injuries or alcohol just report to the police station the next day. They do not respond to accidents on private property(injury or alcohol may change the result).

I was recently involved in a private property accident in FL. The State Police were called, the trooper said they don't work accidents on private property. The other guy was in a county vehicle, me in a rental. We both asked for any form of documentation, the trooper obliged.
__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
My grandfather worked his way up from nothing to lawyer and eventually to judge. During their later, affluent years, my grandparents lived in a ritzy neighborhood, but my grandfather still drove a beater. A wealthier man in the neighborhood admonished him one day: "You aren't rich enough to drive that car."

So, even back in the 1930s, "stealth wealth" was sometimes known to be a "humble brag."
Great story!
__________________
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post

I do. In this area they will respond as long as; there's not a snow or ice emergency, if no injuries or alcohol just report to the police station the next day. They do not respond to accidents on private property(injury or alcohol may change the result).

I was recently involved in a private property accident in FL. The State Police were called, the trooper said they don't work accidents on private property. The other guy was in a county vehicle, me in a rental. We both asked for any form of documentation, the trooper obliged.
I went to the station the next day when I got sideswiped by the state's attorney. The cop at the station who took my report said it was a mistake because now it was my word against her's and she is a state's attorney

That mistake cost me half of a 4k repair bill to my BMW 5 Series because she later claimed it was my fault so the county claims department would only cover half the cost. A total scam.
__________________
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 427
I drive a BMW 5 Series. I am not an a@@hole. But, yeah, I also have a low opinion of many of my fellow BMW owners. There's a high ratio of tools in that population.

When new in 2005 mine sold for 65k. I bought it at Carmax for 38k. It was 18 months old and had 6k miles. Had them remove the Carmax decals before driving it away--not into being a mobile billboard for them.

It is 9 years old. Looks great and I love driving it. Not even considering getting rid of it, as it only has 78k miles. I think my 14 yo DD will inherit it when she graduates from HS! Need to teach her to drive the 330 hp manual transmission. :-)
__________________
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:20 AM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
The reward of doing a kind deed for somebody (even though financially, they might not have needed it) was probably worth far more to her than any payback.

Just pay it forward to somebody else you might see in need someday
+1
__________________
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
I went to the station the next day when I got sideswiped by the state's attorney. The cop at the station who took my report said it was a mistake because now it was my word against her's and she is a state's attorney

That mistake cost me half of a 4k repair bill to my BMW 5 Series because she later claimed it was my fault so the county claims department would only cover half the cost. A total scam.
I would have reported her to the State Bar Association ethics office (though I would have told her in advance that was what I was going to do if she continued to lie). It would be another hassle for her to deal with and if she was caught lying in any way, she would likely lose her bar license for 30-90 days. Under those circumstances, playing the "states attorney" card wouldn't get her very far - in fact, the Bar would likely hold her to a high standard and wonder why someone like you would go to the trouble of filing a bar complaint if there wasn't some truth to what you were saying.
__________________
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
I drive a BMW 5 Series. I am not an a@@hole. But, yeah, I also have a low opinion of many of my fellow BMW owners. There's a high ratio of tools in that population.

When new in 2005 mine sold for 65k. I bought it at Carmax for 38k. It was 18 months old and had 6k miles. Had them remove the Carmax decals before driving it away--not into being a mobile billboard for them.

It is 9 years old. Looks great and I love driving it. Not even considering getting rid of it, as it only has 78k miles. I think my 14 yo DD will inherit it when she graduates from HS! Need to teach her to drive the 330 hp manual transmission. :-)
That's how you do it with luxury cars. Let someone else take the immediate depreciation hit (and the 12-month depreciation hit). German cars (BMWs, Mercedes and even VWs) have the well-deserved reputation of being drivable for decades if well maintained.
__________________
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #91
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
That's how you do it with luxury cars. Let someone else take the immediate depreciation hit (and the 12-month depreciation hit). German cars (BMWs, Mercedes and even VWs) have the well-deserved reputation of being drivable for decades if well maintained.
16k Honda Civic or Toyota Yaris will be more reliable and will not require to be well maintained.
__________________
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,900
That way of handling things has its advantages, and certainly would have caused a sensation at the time. Odd as it is, I don't find yelling or swearing to be stress-releasers. In fact, I feel sick and worn out when I have to yell. I wouldn't have made a good drill sergeant, although it would be useful to have one around sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Oh you were too kind and graceful to have let it end in that manner. I would have held him accountable with a string of expletive deletes that if the conversation was replayed on tv a listener would have no clue to what was going on because only about one word a sentence would not be beeped out. And at 20 I already knew how to do this!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Keim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,128
I once made the mistake of assuming someone was poor. He wasn't.

I used to work for the Boy Scouts. Overtime I got to know one of the more eccentric local volunteers.

Morbidly obese, he always dressed in dirty coveralls. Unkempt hair. Smelly. He drove a rusty, badly dented mid 80s Toyota pick-up.

As I got to know him over time he gradually revealed that he owned some local property. He understated. He was a major local landlord, and had been approached about buying one of the local malls.

One of the most fascinating people I've ever met. Before landlording he'd had a varied career. Including a stint as a travelling puppeteer!
__________________
You can't enlighten the unconscious.
But you can hit'em upside the head a few times to make sure they are really out...
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #94
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I once made the mistake of assuming someone was poor. He wasn't.

I used to work for the Boy Scouts. Overtime I got to know one of the more eccentric local volunteers.

Morbidly obese, he always dressed in dirty coveralls. Unkempt hair. Smelly. He drove a rusty, badly dented mid 80s Toyota pick-up.

As I got to know him over time he gradually revealed that he owned some local property. He understated. He was a major local landlord, and had been approached about buying one of the local malls.

One of the most fascinating people I've ever met. Before landlording he'd had a varied career. Including a stint as a travelling puppeteer!
Reminds me of the story of the four Texans bragging about how many hundreds of acres of land they owned.

The last guy said that he only owned ten acres.....in downtown Houston.
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
.....But the highlight of my "stealth wealth" career was the day DS found out I was a millionaire. ....LBYM'ng and our effort to not spoil our only child, we have completely succeed in hiding our wealth (I mean a small one at that) from DS.
Similar here, but I suspect I will regret the day DW figures it out. She hasn't asked and I haven't told.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
I went to the station the next day when I got sideswiped by the state's attorney. The cop at the station who took my report said it was a mistake because now it was my word against her's and she is a state's attorney

That mistake cost me half of a 4k repair bill to my BMW 5 Series because she later claimed it was my fault so the county claims department would only cover half the cost. A total scam.
Something like that would make it tempting to key her personal ride.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:43 PM   #97
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,248
My moment is actually about assuming that 75-80 year old guy walking around with cheap/old with video recorder is some retired tourist in Arenal Observatory Lodge Costa Rica.

I talked to him for few hours. Then I found out he is American Expat that owns this hotel with 100's of rooms, cottages etc. I would think hotel is worth 8 digit sum in USD.

Arenal Volcano Costa Rica Hotel | Arenal Observatory Lodge

Guy looked literally like a bum.....
__________________
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 PM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Keim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
My moment is actually about assuming that 75-80 year old guy walking around with cheap/old with video recorder is some retired tourist in Arenal Observatory Lodge Costa Rica.

I talked to him for few hours. Then I found out he is American Expat that owns this hotel with 100's of rooms, cottages etc. I would think hotel is worth 8 digit sum in USD.

Arenal Volcano Costa Rica Hotel | Arenal Observatory Lodge

Guy looked literally like a bum.....
That's how my friend looked, too. In fact-I've seen bums that looked and smelled considerably better. He just didn't care. He was happy.
__________________
You can't enlighten the unconscious.
But you can hit'em upside the head a few times to make sure they are really out...
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
calmloki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Independence
Posts: 5,460
We used to volunteer at national oriental rug conferences. There were a few very important people there - in their own estimation anyway, but one of the most well respected, knowledgeable couples with a very deep collection of rugs was also quite unassuming. Just Normal Ned folks who happened to own a record label and chose to indulge their love for old rugs.
__________________
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
16k Honda Civic or Toyota Yaris will be more reliable and will not require to be well maintained.

Agreed, which is why I drive an 8-year old Honda Accord (22k OTD new). However, if you enjoy driving luxury cars, you probably want to maintain them properly.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________

__________________
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stealth Tax? Alan Other topics 4 03-01-2009 09:43 PM
Stealth Emphysema imnxpat Health and Early Retirement 4 11-15-2007 09:02 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.