Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
And car dealerships are NOT impressed by someone paying cash. They much prefer someone financing through them! Money (in their pockets) talks!
At $120K to $200K for a car, the salesman/dealer I spoke to is quite pleased with the sale, cash or financed.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
At $120K to $200K for a car, the salesman/dealer I spoke to is quite pleased with the sale, cash or financed.
Yes, the salesman is quite pleased with the cash sale, despite it not being as profitable to them as the internally financed sale. It's certainly muich better than no sale! But, as I said, cash buyers generally don't impress car dealerships. They like making money off of financing.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm one of the "poor" cash users. To me, there is a disconnect when using a credit card. I don't think of how much i'm spending if i'm just handing over a card. If I use cash then I see how much i'm spending and it helps to keep my spending down. Works for me
It's funny, but I feel the exact opposite. When I pay with a credit card I get a receipt and I can see my purchases online and follow my balance. When I pay with cash (e.g. at some farmers' markets) sometimes they do not provide receipts. Since I now calculate all my expenses in every category on a monthly basis, this means I have to record that cash purchase myself. Yesterday I had five or six Post it notes when doing my calculations for July. It took me a while to read my own writing! I honestly feel I do not spend more money when using a credit card. I stick to my budget and I manage to control impulse spending. I do, however, use credit to manage my cash flow. For example, I renewed my car insurance on the last possible day, because that day was the first day of a new credit cycle. That gives me six weeks' use of the money before the bill is deducted from my bank account.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm one of those people that never carry cash. It's so damned inconvenient. I hate tracking down the closest ATM to get cash for something and then usually paying fees on top of it because the closest one is almost never my bank.

My usual source for cash is when I go out to lunch with friends. They carry cash and I don't, so I'll pay for everybody's meal with my card, and they pay me back with cash. Then I just end up spending (wasting?) it on petty crap as I'm out, that I otherwise wouldn't buy.

Honestly, I could function quite well in a cashless society unless I got addicted to drugs or hookers. And I wouldn't be surprised if some hookers used Square now!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #145

About a year ago, I got a cash-back credit card. I began using the CC in place of cash for my most frequent type of purchase, food at the supermarket. I use it any time the purchase is more than $40 and sometimes if it is between $30 and $40. Under $30 I still pay cash. The handy thing about the CC is that I don't have to worry about having enough cash should I find my costliest item, boneless chicken, on sale, and I decide to load up on several large packages.

I still have to make trips to the ATM but now it is about once a month instead of twice a month. I rarely spend more than $40 for any purchase so the CC doesn't get used very often anywhere else.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm one of the "poor" cash users. To me, there is a disconnect when using a credit card. I don't think of how much i'm spending if i'm just handing over a card. If I use cash then I see how much i'm spending and it helps to keep my spending down. Works for me
Just the opposite here. I am VERY acutely aware of every credit card balance at all times to the phooking PENNY.

We have absolutely no problem equating making a charge (or writing a check) to cash leaving our hands. I know that many people avoid using credit cards but it's just something I cannot get my head around.

No, I am not saying everybody should do it the way I do it.

Edit to add: Are there people who can successfully manage a checking account that avoid credit cards? I guess I don't see much difference between a checking account and a credit card account, as far as tracking and managing balances.

Or do the people who suffer creditcard-phobia make no effort to track the balance of the account. It just seems to me that if you track the balance, the credit card is not going to assume a life of its own and "sneak up on you".
Old 08-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

This is really interesting.
I use cash a lot (always have at least $100 in my wallet).

But I track my expenses in a very non-standard way.
I have a budget category called Cash/Din/Ent) that includes all cash withdrawals from ATMs, all restaurant dining on credit cards, and all entertainment expenses on credit cards).

So once I get cash in my wallet, that expenditure is put in the software, alongside movies, concerts, restaurants, etc. I don't worry about recording things I buy with cash.

The whole Cash/Din/Ent category amounts to about 12% of my total budget, so I don't worry about it.

Odd, but it works for me.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #148

Back to car wrecks, I was t-boned by a driver totally her fault. Except she admitted it in writing at the scene. I go home a police officer is knocking at my door. He wants me to hand over the signed statement, saying the driver was new in the state and didn't better.

Mean while I was driving in an ice/snow storm, and I slid into a 20 YO POS pickup truck. The crazy thing is we were both 50 ft off the highway in a ditch. I really didn't see any damage, I tell him to get a estimate and I will pay out of pocket. I get the estimate and on it is $900 for damage to 2 custom wheels, the truck wasn't worth the price of the wheels. So you learn.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

That can happen and, in fact, my DW readily admits to being less thoughtful a.... schrewd shopper. With the CC, a bit less.

I guess whether you're more "money careful" with cash or with CC depends on the person.......
Nice - like this malaprop.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #150

Quote:
Mean while I was driving in an ice/snow storm, and I slid into a 20 YO POS pickup truck. The crazy thing is we were both 50 ft off the highway in a ditch. I really didn't see any damage, I tell him to get a estimate and I will pay out of pocket. I get the estimate and on it is $900 for damage to 2 custom wheels
And he is absolutely certain YOU caused the damage and not his own 50ft skid off the highway into the ditch before you got there. Right.