Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
meierlde, did you see this article about that? Fascinating reading, and terrifying to think!
Taken - The New Yorker
Wow, it is a very long article but worth a read. I can't believe this is still happening in anywhere USA. It's something out of black and white TV era. Greed, stupidity, and misguided righteousness ....
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
The reward of doing a kind deed for somebody (even though financially, they might not have needed it) was probably worth far more to her than any payback.

Just pay it forward to somebody else you might see in need someday
+1
Old 07-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ditto with my DW. She's doesn't have much interest in financial matters and I handle the investment accounts and day to day bills, etc. When she asked me casually a while back how are we doing (financially), I said we have enough to "make it to 90"....and that was good enough for her.

I don't want to bring up the word "millionaire" as it may give her incentive to spread that around the family, and I don't want to give the impression we are in that category. I prefer stealth mode... We have some family members that are financial train wrecks and don't want the attention brought here. DW has a millionaire sister and brother who run that front.
Wow, I'm surprised that two folks have posted in this thread that their wives don't know the family financial status. I find that very disturbing for all kinds of reasons.

Glad we have counseled our kids to make financial compatibility a very important factor in choosing their life partners.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Wow, I'm surprised that two folks have posted in this thread that their wives don't know the family financial status. I find that very disturbing for all kinds of reasons.
DW just don't care and I think that is odd. So, time to time, I force feed her our financial situation. The only time she cared was that two of our brokerage accounts were under my name only as I was too lazy to fill out spouse information when I opened them years ago. I corrected it quickly after DW gave me an evil look.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
DW just don't care and I think that is odd. So, time to time, I force feed her our financial situation...........
Ditto. All DW wants to know is if we are OK. Beyond that, glazed eyes. She has a "if I kick off suddenly" letter that explains it all.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Glad we have counseled our kids to make financial compatibility a very important factor in choosing their life partners.
You jump to WAY too many conclusions. DW and I are quite compatible, financially and otherwise. We are both LBYM, but she is more frugal than I. She knows we are well off as we live on the water and are retired early. She just doesn't have interest in the details and trusts that I am on top of it.

My comment on regretting when she finds out was not that I think she would want to split if she knew, but more than she might accelerate spending. 32 years today so we must be doing something right.

If DW asked, I would not withhold anything, but she just isn't interested. My mom is the same way, she trusted dad to take care of those things just like she trusts me to now that dad is gone.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #127

pb4uski - Some marriages are built on higher level of trust when it comes to finances. Mine is like yours. We trust each other completely when it comes to finances. In our case, we built our wealth together starting with near $0 balance some 28 years ago. Although I have been the sole wage earner for the last 14 years, it is OUR wealth. If divorce is in our card (very unlikely) in the future, it's 50-50 and she knows it.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 PM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I hope your children make good choices for their life's partners now that the important factors are established!

I never said DW "doesn't know our family financial status"..........Like others in this situation, over the years, I have tried to involve DW with all the details. She is not interested in our AA, strategy, or why I chose certain funds over others, or the half dozen detailed spreadsheets I play with, etc. Knowing our "number" is not important to either of us and quite frankly, I couldn't tell anyone what it is within 10% at any given time.

She trusts me implicitly and that's good enough for her. She has access to all the accounts and records and a strategy is lined out for her in writing if I pass first. We live frugally and have routine budget/spending talks to stay on course.

Actually, I married her for her other great qualities.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The article reports that North Carolina is the only state to have banned the practice! Now, if they could just figure out how to reduce the 7.5 percent income tax, I might decide not to move after all.

Oh, and if all states went the way of Colorado, this would cure itself.
Max NC income tax dropped to 5.8% in January, 2014.
Enough people live here already.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Reminds me of the story of the four Texans bragging about how many hundreds of acres of land they owned.

The last guy said that he only owned ten acres.....in downtown Houston.
How ironic my secret is now exposed...on a stealth wealth thread.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Quote:
Now, if they could just figure out how to reduce the 7.5 percent income tax, I might decide not to move after all.
Max NC income tax dropped to 5.8% in January, 2014.
Would you rather pay 7.5% on 70K (2011 and before) or 5.8% on 100K (2014)?

Instead of calculating tax based on the Federal Taxable Income, in 2012 they changed the calculation to use the Federal Adjusted Gross Income, thereby adding to the taxable base amount.

So with a wave of the hand, they added $30K to my base state NC taxable income in both 2012 and 2013. And now, after running off with the money for two years, they all pat themselves on the back for how great it is to reduce the tax rate.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
pb4uski - Some marriages are built on higher level of trust when it comes to finances. Mine is like yours. We trust each other completely when it comes to finances. In our case, we built our wealth together starting with near $0 balance some 28 years ago. Although I have been the sole wage earner for the last 14 years, it is OUR wealth. If divorce is in our card (very unlikely) in the future, it's 50-50 and she knows it.
+1, but I had 60% me and 40% her more in mind.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Would you rather pay 7.5% on 70K (2011 and before) or 5.8% on 100K (2014)?

Instead of calculating tax based on the Federal Taxable Income, in 2012 they changed the calculation to use the Federal Adjusted Gross Income, thereby adding to the taxable base amount.

So with a wave of the hand, they added $30K to my base state NC taxable income in both 2012 and 2013. And now, after running off with the money for two years, they all pat themselves on the back for how great it is to reduce the tax rate.
New York did something like this on a smaller scale back in the early 1990s when they had a fiscal crunch. They got rid of the personal exemption for yourself so they raised everyone's taxable income $1,000. The marginal tax rate most people paid was just under 8% at the time so that meant everyone had to pay about $79 more in state income taxes but the pols were able to boast in the next election how they did not raise the tax rates on anyone.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
+1, but I had 60% me and 40% her more in mind.
What I have in mind don't matter. DW spells alimony "a-l-l-m-o-n-e-y." I'd be lucky to get 50 - we are living in CA (dazed and confused about legal matters).
Old 08-02-2014, 11:27 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On the flip side, I worked with a guy who always had at least $2,000 in cash in his wallet. Would often make a show of paying cash by whipping out a few $100's before he could 'find' a $20 dollar bill.

Sadly, it all the money he had in the world.
This. I associate poor people with having a lot of cash and paying in cash. My mostly poor in-laws operate on a mostly cash basis (although they all have checking accounts and/or debit cards). Sometimes I'll buy something for them online, and they don't bat an eye when they dig in their wallet for $500 in crisp $20's and fork it over to reimburse me. They tend to cash their paycheck and keep most or all of it in cash. The checking account is what you use to pay the power bill and cable bill, but you go shopping with cash.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
This. I associate poor people with having a lot of cash and paying in cash...........
I've noticed this, too, when I shop in a neighboring 'burb with more poor residents. It is ironic that I am paying 98% of full price with my Fido AmEx and they are paying 100%, with cash.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
This. I associate poor people with having a lot of cash and paying in cash. My mostly poor in-laws operate on a mostly cash basis (although they all have checking accounts and/or debit cards). Sometimes I'll buy something for them online, and they don't bat an eye when they dig in their wallet for $500 in crisp $20's and fork it over to reimburse me. They tend to cash their paycheck and keep most or all of it in cash. The checking account is what you use to pay the power bill and cable bill, but you go shopping with cash.
I'm one of the "poor" cash users. To me, there is a disconnect when using a credit card. I don't think of how much i'm spending if i'm just handing over a card. If I use cash then I see how much i'm spending and it helps to keep my spending down. Works for me
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:38 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm one of the "poor" cash users. To me, there is a disconnect when using a credit card. I don't think of how much i'm spending if i'm just handing over a card. If I use cash then I see how much i'm spending and it helps to keep my spending down. Works for me

I used to be that way, and still have to have a $100-$200 in my wallet or I feel uneasy. But with that being said, about 4 years ago, I converted to using my cash back credit card to purchase all my monthly expenses incurred and then pay it all off at end of the month. I mentally deduct each purchase from my checking account. I am not an over zealous person in this regard on getting cash back, but it is amazing how it still adds up. My dishwasher went out on me last winter I paid for it with my accrued cash back money. Already I have about $300 built back up. I'm about ready to need a new washer and I will let the credit card cash pay for it soon too. Many people here do way better at me than this. I should be more aggressive with it as it is easy money once you get over the initial phase of not trusting yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Luxury car dealers will tell you that nowadays, the guy with the jean shorts, T shirt, flip flops and baseball cap is the one that will drop $120K on a car and pay cash. (no, not a drug dealer either)
And car dealerships are NOT impressed by someone paying cash. They much prefer someone financing through them! Money (in their pockets) talks!
Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
To me, there is a disconnect when using a credit card. I don't think of how much i'm spending if i'm just handing over a card.
That can happen and, in fact, my DW readily admits to being less thoughtful about purchases when she's using the CC. She's gotten much better but we still have her carry significant cash when she's out with the girls visiting quilt shops, antique stores, various boutiques, etc. Even if she has several hundred bux in her purse, she's quite the throughtful and schrewd shopper. With the CC, a bit less.

I tend to be the opposite. Say I'm sitting down at the pub for a couple cold ones on a hot afternoon. I put a twenty on the bar from which the bartender makes change as I order drinks. 3 - 4 pints later, I leave without much consideration for the remainder which becomes the bartenders tip. If I'm short on cash and tell the bartender I'll be running a tab and paying by CC, I'm keenly aware of how much I'm spending as I go along and at tip time, calculate an appropriate amount to add on thoughtfully.

I guess whether you're more "money careful" with cash or with CC depends on the person.......