Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Stein on Gas Tax to pay for SS
Old 05-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, my New Balance were made in the good ol' US of A (from imported materials)... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Hey, my New Balance were made in the good ol' US of A (from imported materials)...* :P
In a union shop I hope!

Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

...staffed by illegal immigrants
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:55 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Whatever, as long as they're carrying their union card and paying their dues and we get to help 'em vote!* And they agree to the right definition of CPI and don't try to sell annuities to unsuspecting citizens. I hate those annuity selling illegals!
Old 05-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if you can buy an educational savings annuity that helps defer your social security with benefits paid out only to illegal aliens who dont use housing, energy or eat food.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Yes you can.* But I strongly advise against purchasing it from an illegal who can't/won't show you his/her union card, receipt for dues paid and voting record in the last four national elections.* Don't get "con"ned!

Of course, if they are in uniform, Birkenstocks and an Afro, that's different.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy
A couple of nights ago I was watching O'reily Factor with Ben Stein.* He actually proposed increasing federal tax on gasoline to pay for the shortfall ahead in SS.* *His reasoning was that increased revenue must be raised for SS and by raising it with an increased gasoline tax it would force us to conserve more and decrease our dependancy on imported oil....*
How about using the ALL of the "gas tax" for what it was supposed to be used for... highways!* And not going any farther the other way.* Ahhh, the politics of politics.* ... er, something.

... and like was mentioned in other threads, more alternative fuel is being used (ethanol, hydro., etc.), vehicle efficiencies are increasing (compared to 20 yrs. ago?) and on and on.* So, less dollars are coming in already.* Apparently it's political suicide to increase the gas tax...

Pretty soon there won't be any roads funding left to drive "your gas guzzling SUV" on.

The overdue Transportation Bill basically maintained transportation funding, but then the cost of cement, steel, oil (read asphalt/tar), etc. all went up.* So we're backpeddling.

hehe. /end doom-and-loom rant.* Silly Stein.

Edit: For another wakeup: Crawl the web for the number of vehicle miles travelled (VMT) of cars or TRUCKS vs. the number of additional lane-miles added. In ten years, truck traffic has increased 40% and lane miles have increased 4% or some crazy relationship like that. The US has become a "rolling warehouse". I've seen relationships that one semi- truck has the same effect as 10,000 cars.

-CC

Old 05-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
I hate those annuity selling illegals!
especially the ones who are also dirty market timers....