Join Early Retirement Today

Step 1.....Check
Old 07-22-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Step 1.....Check

OK....made my first step in putting a cash flow plan in place. Since I don't want sequence of returns risk to bite me right after FIRE, my plan is to build a rolling 5 yr CD Ladder in place. So I've moved enough from portfolio to fund the ladder. Yield is ~1.9% so not the greatest but safer than in equities/bonds. So the rest of the portfolio I'll allocate 60/40 and be a bit more aggressive than my previous 50/50 since I have the 5 yr CD backstop. The ladder should fund ~80% of my expected expenses so I may move some additional $into a second ladder in a few months

Some about me...
Turning 60 in 3 months...38 yrs with Wannabe MegaCorp. $1.1M in portfolo...no debt. Wanting to FIRE at 61. Small pension to generate $12k/yr. some part time work + wife's income to generate ~$15k per yr. delay SS to 68. Will Cobra on healthcare.

Good luck to all on this journey
TNBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
gone traveling

Good luck! I like the agressive approach. It's likely where I will be in 3 years and will have to make a decision (about 58).

I'm tired of running on the wheel....
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what's your AA (stock/bond/cash) if you include the CD ladder as cash? And what is your plan to fund each new CD?
Just curious.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Overall AA will be around 45/35/20 and each new purchase would involve a withdrawal/rebalance to the same AA.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

If this strategy is going to make you sleep better at night,then I think its a great move.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Cobra is 18 months. Have a plan for when that is done. Figure 18K - 24K a year for a couple in their 60's. YMMV
Shanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Misspoke on COBRA. It is actually a retiree plan at ~$650 premium for both of us. Budgeting $1100 per month including g dental and OOP. Also slamming my HSA to the max while I can
Old 07-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
what's your AA (stock/bond/cash) if you include the CD ladder as cash? And what is your plan to fund each new CD?
Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBigfoot View Post
Overall AA will be around 45/35/20 and each new purchase would involve a withdrawal/rebalance to the same AA.
So are you saying that 20% of your portfolio in CDs @ ~ 1.9% yield funds 80% of your expenses? Not sure how the part time work and SS fit into this, but it sounds like you have such a large buffer that you really don't need to worry about any sort of CD ladder strategy. Just invest the portfolio 50/50 or 60/40 or whatever, and the divs should be 2% ~ 3% on the full 100% of your portfolio.

Am I missing something?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK....made my first step in putting a cash flow plan in place. Since I don't want sequence of returns risk to bite me right after FIRE, my plan is to build a rolling 5 yr CD Ladder in place. So I've moved enough from portfolio to fund the ladder. Yield is ~1.9% so not the greatest but safer than in equities/bonds. So the rest of the portfolio I'll allocate 60/40 and be a bit more aggressive than my previous 50/50 since I have the 5 yr CD backstop. The ladder should fund ~80% of my expected expenses so I may move some additional $into a second ladder in a few months

Some about me...
Turning 60 in 3 months...38 yrs with Wannabe MegaCorp. $1.1M in portfolo...no debt. Wanting to FIRE at 61. Small pension to generate $12k/yr. some part time work + wife's income to generate ~$15k per yr. delay SS to 68. Will Cobra on healthcare.

Does the total monthly cover your expected expenses? What happens when wife decides to retire?

Have you explored your part time opportunities, or better yet, found the position already?

Overall it sounds like you have thought this out. It just seems there may still be some "ifs" in your plan which is why I asked so many questions. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The ladder will cover only 45% of expenses. The pensions and part time work another 40%. So ther will still be a bit of gap remaining. Will either add some another small ladder or just pull from portfolio.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Some about me...

What you're describing is similar to a bucket strategy. Your CD ladder is a bucket for 80% of the first 5 years.

When I first retired I did a bucket analysis and concluded that it was substantially the same as just sticking with my 60/40 AA. If the SHTF at a ~3% WR I could tap into the 40% of fixed income for ~15years without having to tap equities if I chose to do that.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

That is my intent to build a bucket strategy and using the CD Ladder for short term expenses rather than an annuity
Old 07-25-2017, 06:51 PM   #13

As pb4uski said, the bucket strategy is just a mirage. Kitces wrote a more comprehensive article on it not too long ago -- worth a read.

Quote:
That is my intent to build a bucket strategy and using the CD Ladder for short term expenses rather than an annuity
Then what? What do you do after you've spent your CD ladder on short term expenses?

Leave it go? Then all you've done is spend cash first and delayed withdrawing from your AA for a few years. But that cash is part of your portfolio and reduces your total return.

Refill the ladder? Then you are just withdrawing from your AA with a side-trip through the cash (CD) account.

Ah, here it is: https://www.kitces.com/blog/are-reti...cation-mirage/ He's actually written a number of articles on cash buckets.
rayvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I guess to be clear I didn't say it was a mirage.... just that my analysis was that it was substantially the same as my 60/40 AA.

But ray's questions point out the issues in using the bucket strategy and maintaining it... though I guess that if you just use the buckets as initially defined that you end up with the strategy of starting retirement with a low equity allocation and increasing it during retirement as you spend from the cash adn bond buckets and let the stock bucket grow (apbeit perhaps with some volatility).

For me, I just find it easier to use a total return strategy and rebalance regularly. If the SHTF I can always shift to buckets if needed.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Glancing quickly at the Kitces article, he basically said the bucket approach yielded roughly the same as a 60/40 total return as pb4uski stated. One thing I noticed is he assumes the ST bucket is all in cash at zero return. It isn't the best but myCD ladder yields 1.8%. For future funding, I expect a yearly rebalance of the 60/40 portfolio and pulling enough equity out to fund a new CD for 5 yrs out.

This is a cautious approach against the SHTF scenario
Old 07-25-2017, 10:29 PM   #16

I like using a bond ladder to cover essential expenses. The first wrung in that ladder is CDs that actually paid better than short term bonds. The rest of the wrungs are target date bond funds.
When I rebalance I plan to either reinvest in another bond wrung if equities are up, or use the money to live on if equities are down. I only need to purchase a few more wrungs then SS at 70 covers all essential expenses. So I'm betting on three good equity market years out of the next seven years.
Not a cash bucket plan, but a way to invest at my comfortable AA.