Step up and call the bottom!

Dow's approximate bottom will be:

• 6800+ ( we are at it now, up from here!)

Votes: 18 11.1%

Votes: 20 12.3%

Votes: 10 6.2%

Votes: 29 17.9%
  • Below 6000 (Honey, sell silver on ebay! You like Fancy Feast?)

Votes: 85 52.5%

• Total voters
My guess: 6763.14

What's with the errors in the Yahoo charts?

It's the patient that's flatlined. No, wait, it's the market? Hrmm... needs a shot of adrenaline? No, wait, stimulus. Er, nevermind. Bah, I give up. :LOL:

It's hard to make a guess without accurate data. My crystal ball has been affected by mark to market. Nobody wants to buy the damn thing.

6250-6500.

-CC

2755!!!
:hide:

Geeze!

Just a guess mind you but I figured something close to 80% from the high of 14164 would be right if this is Great Depression version 2. Let's hope I am wrong.

Just imagine though what a buying opportunity it will be if we hit 6k, 5k...or whatever. Those with a 20 yr horizon like myself might make out like bandits.

5678 - interesting times....strangely I am quite calm - I was much more upset when the Dow went below 12,000(greed was still there - not just staying ERed). Maybe I am getting used to this carnage? I have cash for about 4-5 years before having to dip into stocks/funds - if we are still below 7,000 at that point I am gonna really feel it.

5678 - interesting times....strangely I am quite calm - I was much more upset when the Dow went below 12,000(greed was still there - not just staying ERed). Maybe I am getting used to this carnage?
Between the fact that my AA into stocks has declined (and thus each 3% drop is "only" a 1.5% hit now) and that I'm basically numb from all the losses, it's easier to stay put. These will be interesting times for me to tell the young'uns about in a few decades, that's for sure.

Things are never as they seem. They are either much worse or not nearly so bad. Right now, I’d say they were both.:whistle:

But the world’s not gonna come to an end and capitalism is not dead. It’s just having a bit of a convulsion.

I’m thinking of opening a margin account.

5500 that is the bad news. The good news is I am not backing away from my prediction of 12,000 close by the end of the year.

Where did that come from? Who knows. All I know is the Dow is just 10 stocks, it's not the entire market, and I also know the stock market in general is being fueled by emotion rather than enthusiasm for well run businesses.

-- Rita

What happens when the terrorists decide to test the new administration:confused:

I will also announce today that I am suspending all charitable donations and ask that others do the same. Many have enabled me to become wealthy and I was willing to share, but the rule changes declaring my deductions to be eliminated are untenable and clearly class warfare. If the governments intends to take care of everyone with some of my money, I cannot not stop them alone. But I can entrench in my own protectionism and stop supporting those I have helped in the past. I will not expand my business and I will give no more raises. Eventually, I will divest my business connections and become an isolationist. By positioning my assests in a protectionist fashion in non-taxable enitities I will voice my solitary view of silent non-support.
I would agree that it's terribly misguided, but I thought it was only a proposal, what is the current status or timeline?

Over the next 6 months, I say around 5,000. But I won't be surprised to see 3,500 before all said and done. :banghead:

With all the smart folks on this forum I think of all the millions spent on education. Then I think that when it comes to the markets nobody knows nuttin!

With all the smart folks on this forum I think of all the millions spent on education. Then I think that when it comes to the markets nobody knows nuttin!
Yeah but it does give the illusion of control while having the ability to analyze the market as it crashes.

I like uncle' method. heh heh.

My number is 5317 - no reason why. Every day I think that it can't go lower and then it does. Most of the time, I am just numb to it, but every once in a while, I start to feel panicky, and wonder if I have ruined our retirement. I feel that it is too late to do anything now and I just need to let it ride. I just hope that it comes back within the next year or two and then I will become much more conservative. My DH is fast approaching retirement!

Trombone Al must have read the same article I did: 6763 is my new guess (and I stole it from the supposed financial experts).

I don't care what the number is, but rather when. - April 23, 2009. Unfortunately, it will then go sideways for months if not years. Fortunately, that will give everyone the opportunity to get in. Unfortunately, most of the money is already in.

I don't care what the number is, but rather when. - April 23, 2009. Unfortunately, it will then go sideways for months if not years. Fortunately, that will give everyone the opportunity to get in. Unfortunately, most of the money is already in.
There's a hell of a lot of money sitting it out waiting for governments and central banks to finally figure out what they're doing and how they're going to contain the damage. And there are also a LOT of people short in this market.

When said governments and central banks come up with something the market has some faith in, IMO, we'll see a violent rally -- but not before.

...we'll see a violent rally...
There a boatload of money on the sidelines. No, make that a navy full of boatloads of money. I've heard $2 Trillion and more thrown around as the number, although I'm not sure how one determines what money is on the sideline and what money is just outside the market.

I keep going back to the technicians way of looking at things - why not, nothing else makes sense and I don't know anything about reading the entrails of chickens - to try and get some tiny bit of clarity here. My latest [-]voodoo[/-] technical interest is Fibonacci retracement.

Note that I'm not espousing the theory, just tossing it out for discussion.

Anyway, current discussions and prognostications I follow elsewhere have discussed the potential for a Fibonacci retracement upward from 700-ish on the S&P, or, if it breaks that level going down, then from around 650. We're talking a quick, violent, and pretty massive upside - not back to where we were but close - 30% being the minimum. But it's generally seen as something that won't stick around for long.

And that last little bit is the one that has me wondering if this thing we're in right now might not have a bigger downside. Something like 1929 - 32 in which the market goes down about 50% (sound familiar?), then has a rally in which significant retracement takes place, followed by several years of a continual slide that goes past the previous low. Far enough past the previous low to make one fondly recall the days when we were down by only 50%.

I can deal with where we're at now. Don't like it - but I can deal. And I can handle a lengthy "L" shape on the recovery with an eventual, if very gradual, clawback upward. Like everyone else I've lost ground, years worth of it, but I'm still okay here and even a little lower. But the prospect of something like 1930-1936-ish is disturbing. '29 was bad, but the stuff that came later was worse.

Back
Top Bottom