Join Early Retirement Today

Still doing your taxes? Take a break and read this...
Old 04-15-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Still doing your taxes? Take a break and read this...

From a completely voluntary survey:

"People with $75,000 to $100,000 in annual income were most likely (45%) to say they pay too much in taxes, followed by those making more than $100,000 (43%). Just 3% said they pay too little.
"About 84% of Americans said they use online tools, tax software or hire a professional to prepare their returns. Only 13% said they prepare their taxes by hand on paper.
"Still, the Internal Revenue Service said Americans spend about 1.6 billion hours preparing taxes each year."

Other survey data

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Still doing your taxes? Take a break and read this...
Old 04-15-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Our taxes aren't done yet. :P

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just finished calculating the division between ordinary income, long term gains, and short term gains on 7 different blocks of ESPP stock. Next, I am going to calculate the basis on a muni bond fund that I foolishly didn't use average cost basis on for several years and that I reinvested dividends in monthly. Oh, the mistakes of youth! I sold the remaining shares in 2006 for only one reason -- to avoid ever having to calculate the tax basis on this fund again.

OK, break over -- I'm going back in!

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Just 3% said they pay too little.
... ever met one of these folks? ... nothing to prevent them from making an additional donation
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sent in our requests for extension yesterday. I'm done until October.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Finished!

What a relief! I grabbed the vaious envelopes of tax crap, my live trap with a possum I've been trying to catch for days and who finally fell to the temptation of peanut butter, and headed off........ Dropped the envelopes at the post office, the possum at the forest preserves and picked up carry-out Chinese and two bottles of Chardonnay.

Now....... it's Sunday evening listening to a John Prine CD, getting reacquainted with chopsticks, drinking Chardonnay and just being glad that my young bride and I are RE and can sleep in tomorrow morning!

Taxes done, that's good. RE, that's good. Life is good!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #7

Had ours done last weekend and am glad to say I was relieved to get them done. Of course it wasn't too relieving when I had to post off checks for $7k this week.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I did my daughter's taxes yesterday. She found an error. ** **

I did my son's today. (I didn't give him time to check.)

Simple (real simple!) I can do. I pay boneheads to do mine. In re taxes. I am as dumb as a brick. All I can say for myself is that I am smarter than some of the tax preparers I have paid. Wait a minute. I think I just shot myself in the foot. :P
Old 04-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #9

Our check to the IRS and state is $6K.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
... ever met one of these folks? ... nothing to prevent them from making an additional donation
It's plausible that they could not afford to pay despite their feeling of not paying enough taxes.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:14 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
I just finished calculating the division between ordinary income, long term gains, and short term gains on 7 different blocks of ESPP stock. Next, I am going to calculate the basis on a muni bond fund that I foolishly didn't use average cost basis on for several years and that I reinvested dividends in monthly. Oh, the mistakes of youth! I sold the remaining shares in 2006 for only one reason -- to avoid ever having to calculate the tax basis on this fund again.

OK, break over -- I'm going back in!
Oooohh, much sympathies ! I did something similar in my naive youth. Company stock service awards with quarterly reinvested dividends for 10+ years. ESPP stock too. I sold all of it last year and it took four spreadsheets in Excel plus 50+ pages of supporting documentation to cover it all. Ouch !!
Linney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:45 AM   #12

My accountant still is working on mine. I sure don't like this last minute business. This is the first year that he suggested that we file for an time extension due to working on the step up on my capital gains. This is all so new to me since my husband died, but I am trying to learn as I go. Not fun.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:36 AM   #13

Read that we all work for the feds 3 more days this year (until April 29?). Add MA state tax and your into MAY!!

At his rate we'll be into JUNE in 10 years!
Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
I would have checked the "I think I paid too little" box based on my 2005 return when I not only paid no tax, but got back $1000 in refundable tax credits because I have a kid. Our earnings that year were a decent amount above the median for the nation. It didn't really make sense that, as a tax policy, someone in my position should be entitled to what basically amounted to welfare even though I had an above the normal income. But as an individual, of course I love free money. Don't hate me, hate the tax code.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dropped the envelopes at the post office, the possum at the forest preserves
I was so hoping that you sent the live possum to the IRS and dumped your forms in the forest.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #16

Oh, that was too funny!!!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

If you have a wild hair to have a painless shot at visiting the Federal budget and seeing if it differs from how you wish the money was spent try this. Some ice cream guy's shot at using his American right of free expression. I applaud the fact that he is spending the money and effort to forward his agenda.

http://truemajorityaction.org/oreos/ustack/
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

:P :P :P We got done last week so that we had time to transfer funds and schedule payment via EFTPS.

This is the first time we used Form 1116 for foreign tax credit. What a pain! But at least you can get the fund foreign holdins information on-line. Several years ago it was impossible to get such information on-line.

Audrey
Old 04-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I just picked up the copies of the returns from the accountant and filed the Arizona returns. Overpaid estimated taxes so getting about $7000 back. Every time I think about doing these myself, I look at the forms and go cross-eyed. The AMT. The foreign tax credit. The partnership and rental stuff. I know the programs do the figuring, so I should go for it. I think it would help for planning purposes to do the returns myself. First year in a number of years with no AMT though. Yeah! Dropped down to the 28% bracket and paid $39,062 less in taxes this year. I'd like to get the bracket down lower and take advantage of low capital gains rates coming up.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I just picked up the copies of the returns from the accountant and filed the Arizona returns. Overpaid estimated taxes so getting about $7000 back.
I was kicking myself for being so conservative with our estimated taxes and getting a $2500 refund, almost exactly the size of last January's estimated payment, but you've managed to make me feel better!

Loaning the feds your $7K for three months at about 5% is around $85 interest. Penalties would be a lot higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Every time I think about doing these myself, I look at the forms and go cross-eyed. The AMT. The foreign tax credit. The partnership and rental stuff. I know the programs do the figuring, so I should go for it. I think it would help for planning purposes to do the returns myself. First year in a number of years with no AMT though. Yeah! Dropped down to the 28% bracket and paid $39,062 less in taxes this year. I'd like to get the bracket down lower and take advantage of low capital gains rates coming up.
Software makes that all a lot easier. I don't think the brand of software matters as much as the "Aha!" moments that crop up when you do your own taxes. CPAs have to be a mile wide and an inch deep, and they make more money doing someone else's taxes than they'd make teaching you about your own and your future planning. Besides they may not have the full picture of your motivations and your interests.

By doing our own taxes we can be an inch wide and a mile deep and then start thinking about why we're doing what we're doing. Every time I do our yardwork I'm looking for ways to reduce the yardwork I'll have to do next time. And every time I do our taxes I'm looking for ways to reduce the taxes & tax work I'll have to do next year...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote