Join Early Retirement Today

stimulus package
Old 01-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

stimulus package

Is all the talk about the stimulus package for people with earned income in 2007 or 2008? I haven't seen any information that would answer this question. Maybe it's right in front of my face but I just can't see it.
stargazer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tentative deal reached on tax rebates - Yahoo! News

Looks similar to the last checks when Bush came into office...but this time low wage earners that dont pay taxes get a rebate....
Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As expected, I ain't getting jack. Guess I won't be buying that walk-in humidor...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

So... is this an effective means of stimulating the economy? I think we'll be getting a check, so as cheap as I am, I'm just going to put it in my account and save it. Obviously, eventually it'll be used, like to pay the mortgage, but there's nothing that I was planning to buy. In fact, DH has about $200 in gift certificates that expire this month, and he doesn't have anything to buy! We'll probably buy Target gift cards with them just so we don't lose them.
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #6

Still unclear whether ER's who pay taxes get a rebate.
At one point they note "earned income" and then anyone who pays taxes.:confused:
I think it is called "playing fast and loose with definitions."
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
At one point they note "earned income" and then anyone who pays taxes.:confused:
Apparently it's wage earners, whether or not they have paid taxes (due to low wages).
retiringby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Is that limit of 75K single or 150K jointly gross or after tax? I have a feeling I am not getting jack either while paying TAX this year again!!!
DallasFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #9

I won't be collecting either. 2007 turned out to be much bigger than normal due to cash outs associated with retiring.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Hey, non wage earners can spend money, too.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #11

I think the gummint would be better off forgetting the checks and just deliver each of us a big screen TEE VEE. They'd get a better price with volume buying and save us all the shopping time and gas money.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleHoney View Post
I think the gummint would be better off forgetting the checks and just deliver each of us a big screen TEE VEE. They'd get a better price with volume buying and save us all the shopping time and gas money.
Yep...plus all those commercials can be filled with subliminal messages (buy, buy, spend,spend,spend)

I am excited about the conforming mortgage limit increase.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #13

Compare the wording of the 2001 "Tax Rebates", maybe there can be some hint found there about "earned" income. Or maybe wait a couple of days longer and some "smart" journalist will actually ask the specific question. Of course the Senate has yet to mark up their plan and meld the two plans, then the conference must be accomplished and agreed to and sent to the President. No wonder it will take until June or so before the money comes in the mail - and if like 2001, staggered by the last two digits of your social security number.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

How many citizens have already spent the ephemeral stimulus money already?

The idea was crafted by amoral gvmnt psychologists to take advantage of the hyperconsumerists that populate our society.

No real need to actually deliver many of the checks. The jawboning will be sufficient to "cry havoc and release the dogs of buy".

Plasma TV - SUV - exotic vacations....here I come. YEE HA!!
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #15

Only in America, the land of excess consumption and negative savings, can the answer to our economy be "print more money and give it to the people to buy more stuff".

Maybe the long term real answer to getting this country back to creating wealth with a healthy trade balance and currency might be:
- Less consumption
- Manufacturing
- Saving something

But maybe I'm "old fashioned".............
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Still unclear whether ER's who pay taxes get a rebate.
I think it is called "playing fast and loose with definitions."

Where did you see "earned income" mentioned? I've seen "Individuals who pay taxes", and workers who make at least $3,000 and pay no taxes" mentioned but have yet to see earned income mentioned.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

To make this work the government must make us buy American.

How about a coupon for a free McDonalds?
Wait, won't work. Beef is from Argentena

How about a free big screen TV?
Wait, won't work. From China

How about a new car?
Wait, won't work. Assembled in Mexico (or made in Japan)

I've got it. Give everyone in America a 787 Dreamliner. Made in America and it will only take a couple of years to get one.

Horay! I've solved another one.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Where did you see "earned income" mentioned? I've seen "Individuals who pay taxes", and workers who make at least $3,000 and pay no taxes" mentioned but have yet to see earned income mentioned.
I haven't found the article mentioning "earned income" yet, but here is the first mention of using adjusted gross income to determine limits. (from FOX)
<<The rebates would phase out gradually for individuals whose adjusted gross income exceeds $75,000 and for couples with incomes above $150,000. Contributions to IRA and 401(k) retirement accounts and health savings accounts would not count toward the income limit.>>
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I think the 75K for singles and 150K for couples limits are AGI according to what I read on MSN or Money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delawaredave5 View Post
Maybe the long term real answer to getting this country back to creating wealth with a healthy trade balance and currency might be:
- Less consumption
- Manufacturing
- Saving something
What's the fun in that? Let's keep the party going and let the kids pay the tab! woohoo! Yeah!!!!!
We haven't spent the rebate yet, but we'll probably use the check to buy a new mattress (made in America). We were thinking about saving the money at first, and then we thought, what the heck, might as well splurge a little with that "free" money...
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #20

Geez, talk about bad timing... I won't get anything either and being 'unemployed' now, I coulda used it.
On top of 1/2 year salary and bonuses, I liquidated my megacorpy shares so that I could start moving 401K to IRA to Roth