Join Early Retirement Today

Stock Market Musings...........
Old 05-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stock Market Musings...........

What do folks say?

The OPTMIST: "Markets go up and down all the time, it's a great buying opportunity".........

The PESSIMIST: "The Dow is going to 7,000. The world sucks, the sky is black, my dog hates me"..........

The MASOCHIST: "My portfolio is down 40% and I LOVE IT"!!!

The NARCOLEPTIC: "I'm going to go sleep on it"..........

The DAYTRADER: "Cool, I only lost $25,000 today.....because I forgot to unwind my short positions"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmmm. I sold most of my stock mutual funds the other day - I like buying individual stocks - I realize I am an anomoly here. I just haven't seen much growth in mutual funds lately and I'm making a lot on dividend stocks. Anyhow, I decided that as the market went down, and then down, and then down (and okay, up now) it was "the death of a thousand cuts" and it was making me nuts. I'll buy back in when things calm down. Not sure WHAT I'll buy.

I still have most of my money invested in a variety of dividend stocks, bond funds I inherited (paying well so far), ST bonds, a few growth stocks. A lot of the dividend stocks have a significant capital gain but I'm holding them for the dividends.

So - having said all that - I see the market as rocky for a while. I want a little more peace of mind. I swore that around 9600 I'd sell mutual funds that weren't showing much movement (these were not dividend paying). And I did - I just didn't wait quite that long.

Can't wait for things to get better - I have to MAKE my money work. Or at least not drop much more. July 2 is RE day... 25 more work daze.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I fall into the "narcoleptic" category. I'm ignoring the market as best I can and I'm not making any significant changes other than accumulating a little bit of cash in case a great buying opportunity arises (assuming I'll recognize one if/when it happens).
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Actually I used the downdraft to rejigger things a bit. I sold off some stuff that held its value pretty well, but which I had been thinking about parting with (for months). I put the proceeds into things offered at silly discounts (like FTF, which was suddenly on sale at better than a 10% discount to NAV after recently trading above NAV) and into something I have been wanting to build a position in for a while (CHK). I am about where my target allocation suggests, so I will sit tight for now.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another narcoleptic I guess. I wake up once a month, see whats lagging the most in my AA and invest in that.

DD
Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

A few days ago I sold off my value index at a small capital gain and put roughly 50% of the money into my europe index, 25% into individual stocks and 25% into cash.

What prompted me to sell the value index was that my emergency cash was not where I wanted it to be for months, but I had a good capital gain in the value index. So, I was just letting it ride. Due to the decline I was losing my cushion of capital gains and had to sell. So, that I could get my emergency cash where I wanted it. I didn't want to wait any longer and end up in a situation where if I sold the value index I would have a capital loss.

Of course I didn't have to sell off all of the value index, but I am glad I did. I think I got a good deal out of it. My emergency cash is now where I want it (one year's living expenses) and I was able to increase my overall dividend yield. I hope the market stays where it is so I can keep buying cheap.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I am a slight Pessimist . I just get more frugal as the Dow drops . Just like gambling I am a great winner but a sore loser !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am a slight Pessimist . I just get more frugal as the Dow drops . Just like gambling I am a great winner but a sore loser !

That's consistent with the studies by Kahneman & Tversky - for most of us the pain of loss is greater than the joy of gain.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
That's consistent with the studies by Kahneman & Tversky - for most of us the pain of loss is greater than the joy of gain.
And thus fortunes are lost...

DD
Old 05-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #10

I kind of got tired of worrying and decided to retire and just take the knocks if they come.

Think about it. If there is any way a person is supposed to get fixed income, the threated risk is huge and no one really knows anything about what will actually occur.

If I say that a hurricane will sweep across my home in the future then I will be right at least once or twice. If I say it won't I will be right most of the time.

I still think that if they keep saying that you cannot win then you might as well decide to enjoy your life anyway.

I realized this when I made those perfect market moves to cash at just the right time and didn't lose anything. But, wait, that cash isn't worth a confederate down the road. So I'll go to bond. But wait, those bonds also aren't worth a continental down the road.

No problem I have my pension and SS. But wait....

Be happy!
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Shorts are paying good today
Old 05-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Those three billy goats must be walking across the bridge again...