Stock Market Seems to Be Taking A Dive While ER.ORG Has Been On Other Assignments

Yes this market can be a bit depressing. As of today, my portfolio is down 4.1% YTD, not the end of the world... yet. My net worth is still up 4.2% YTD so at least there is some positive news. So far I have no plan to make any change to my portfolio. I will continue to DCA/VCA into my accounts as usual. In the meantime, I'll take comfort in watching my bear market fund tame my portfolio's volatility and cushion the fall.

Market down another 200 plus points again today. Another great buying opportunity for somebody! :rant:

Why aren't you out playing golf instead of making yourself miserable watching the market tank?

Then again, your strategy may be that if you keep stressing over this you'll be dead long before running out of money and having to go back to w*rk. You crafty old Dawg...;)

Why aren't you out playing golf instead of making yourself miserable watching the market tank?

Then again, your strategy may be that if you keep stressing over this you'll be dead long before running out of money and having to go back to w*rk. You crafty old Dawg...;)

I usually take Thursday off. Took the mutt swimming this morning.

To think the DOW was at 13k around May 19 and now it's down almost 1500 points in a month. If that doesn't frost your %$#! I don't know what does. Your right, the market makes me miserable. That's why I'm going to be out(well cut way back) if it ever gets back to what it was just a frigging month ago.

The majority of my clients are down 3-4%, while the indexes are down 10%. And they are NOT selling, I had 5 guys buy heavy today alone...........

Maybe brewer's hedge fund is knocking the cover off the ball:confused:

The majority of my clients are down 3-4%, while the indexes are down 10%. And they are NOT selling, I had 5 guys buy heavy today alone...........
I'm down about 5.5% YTD including today's carnage. It helps to have about 30% out of stocks and about 10% of my equity position in GDX today.

The majority of my clients are down 3-4%, while the indexes are down 10%.
Dude, are you offering group discounts?

That March low I mentioned in the OP post was cut without much sawing.
:confused:
Ha

Dude, are you offering group discounts?

No, I am expected to offer sound advice for free on this forum.......;) That being said, I have been reminded over and over again by a fair number on here how "guys like me" are unnecessary, inexperienced, and of no value............:D:D:D

To think the DOW was at 13k around May 19 and now it's down almost 1500 points in a month. If that doesn't frost your %$#! I don't know what does. Your right, the market makes me miserable. That's why I'm going to be out(well cut way back) if it ever gets back to what it was just a frigging month ago.

As an early retiree with no pension and too young for SS (just barely), I can't say I'm particularly enjoying what the marked is doing. However, having watched the market oscillate down and up for more than 40 years I've learned not to fret too much when it tanks. I will also admit to taking some comfort from the fact I have a couple of years living expenses in cash, 40% of my portfolio in bonds and am less than a year from starting to collect from all the nice people who are still working to fund my SS benefits.

Not much gloom and doom around here, at least not yet. :cool:

I'm down about 5.5% YTD including today's carnage. It helps to have about 30% out of stocks and about 10% of my equity position in GDX today.

Roughly the same for me, DJP and my natural resource fund has helped me to some extent.

No, I am expected to offer sound advice for free on this forum.......;) That being said, I have been reminded over and over again by a fair number on here how "guys like me" are unnecessary, inexperienced, and of no value............:D:D:D

Well, the problem is Ameriprise. That was my first, and, to-date only run-in with an FA. We've interviewed one other one since then, but couldn't get past his fee structure at that point (again, blame it on Ameriprise). Then I've got a friend who is friends with an FA. We've talked to him, he seems rather knowledgable and ethical. However, before we can do anything, he wants to charge us to put together a big, glossy plan. I don't know where I'll be next year much less in 5, 10 or 15 years, so it seemed like a waste of $3k.

Maybe I'll tell my wife I found a nice guy on the Internet to help O0. We live within a day's drive after all.

Oh heck, it sounds like Dude is feeling unloved. Everyone, let's give it up for the Dude! (Sounds of clapping and cheering are heard.)

You are helpful you sweet person, and we should say so more often.

Ha

.... And they are NOT selling, I had 5 guys buy heavy today alone...........

I chunked the last of my new Keogh money in just before you posted this. Wow, that was fun! I felt like I was riding shotgun with a reckless driver on the road down to Muir Woods (hairpin turns and steep drop offs). This isn't gloating, I also chunked a bigger amount in on June 4. That's entertainment! Still have some more new money to play with. Remember, "It's only money." Will I need stitches for the knife wounds on my hands? :p

Well, the problem is Ameriprise. That was my first, and, to-date only run-in with an FA. We've interviewed one other one since then, but couldn't get past his fee structure at that point (again, blame it on Ameriprise). Then I've got a friend who is friends with an FA. We've talked to him, he seems rather knowledgable and ethical. However, before we can do anything, he wants to charge us to put together a big, glossy plan. I don't know where I'll be next year much less in 5, 10 or 15 years, so it seemed like a waste of $3k.

I had my own "run-in" with Ameriprise before it was Ameriprise. DW's grandfather left her some money that was with American Express. When we moved away, it took 2 months to transfer the account to the rep where we are now.

He wanted to do a plan and charge us $1200 for it, that was 1995. When I asked him how he justified charging us to do ANOTHER financial plan when my DW had one down just 18 months earlier, he gave me some BS about needing to "make different assumptions", etc. I told him no thanks on the "plan." He then agreed to do the "plan" for $200, and give us his recommendations. I balked but DW told him that was ok..........:p His recommendation included a boatload of universal life insurance, and a portfolio of proprrietary mutual funds, all in B shares. I asked him the following question:

"So, you get folks to purchase a "plan" from you, and then you invest them in propreitary products with loads? Isn't that getting paid twice? He hemmed and hawed, and we ended up leaving, and I took over investing the account. So, not a lot different from the experiences I read on here...........:p

...To think the DOW was at 13k around May 19 and now it's down almost 1500 points in a month. If that doesn't frost your %$#! I don't know what does. Your right, the market makes me miserable. That's why I'm going to be out(well cut way back) if it ever gets back to what it was just a frigging month ago.
Sounds a bit like getting even and getting out. Not a good prescription for long term success. What about all those charts you see when running FIRECalc? Some of them go down for awhile before going back up. Bear markets are like this -- 2 steps down and 1 step up. You just have to hold on until the Bull market -- 1 step down and 2 steps up.

But I know how you feel :confused: . Wonder if my dog needs a walk? I sure do.

This is a return chart, since 11/1/2007, for my 401k portfolio, with a value snapshot taken semi-monthly. Granted, it doesn't necessarily capture all the highs and lows, but gives a good trend line...

img_675226_0_7cb1ad101092f357248581a14c783ece.jpg

Sounds a bit like getting even and getting out. Not a good prescription for long term success. What about all those charts you see when running FIRECalc? Some of them go down for awhile before going back up. Bear markets are like this -- 2 steps down and 1 step up. You just have to hold on until the Bull market -- 1 step down and 2 steps up.

Yep, that's all I want at this point. To get even. I'm not sure I will live long enough to see the "1 step down and 2 steps up" you describe. What's the disclaimer published at the end of all mutual fund prospectus? 'Past performance is no guarantee of future results'?

Yep, that's all I want at this point. To get even. I'm not sure I will live long enough to see the "1 step down and 2 steps up" you describe. What's the disclaimer published at the end of all mutual fund prospectus? 'Past performance is no guarantee of future results'?
My friend (I'm trying out the politician's tactic >:D), I can promise you that you will live to see the next bull market. If I'm wrong I'll meet you in ...ummm ... the appropriate place :angel:.

We in turn provide you with free lessons on humility, it seems like a fair deal :D.

We've offered the same deal to Brewer but he seems to be a bit of a slow learner in the humility department. :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom