Stocking shelves at 103

free4now

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In an article on survivors of the 1906 SF quake, we learn that there is a man 103 years old still working stocking shelves.   Kinda makes Walmart greeters look like sissies.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/04/18/state/n000117D26.DTL

"Herb Hamrol, 103, has a shorter trip. He's still working two days a week stocking shelves at Andronico's, an upscale supermarket in San Francisco.

"I enjoy what I do," said the centenarian, who introduced himself with a firm handshake on a recent Thursday morning. His tie is perfectly knotted, his green apron crisp.

Hamrol has a job that requires the stamina of someone, say, 70 years younger. It's a second career for Hamrol, who retired as a grocer in 1967, when he was in his 60s."

I'm not sure whether to be sad for him or envious.

free4now said:
some folks really like their work ... we should be happy for them, and envious of Herb only in that he is able to continue to do so at that age.

He doesn't look bad, either. If I find out a couple of decades from now he's passed the longest lived mark I won't be surprised! Definitely envious.

free4now said:

If he's doing it because he has to do it, then sad.  If he's doing it because it energizes him (which is what it sounds like), then envious.

CJ

Back
Top Bottom