Join Early Retirement Today

Stocks & Mutual Fund Ideas From News Letters
Old 06-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Stocks & Mutual Fund Ideas From News Letters

Some of you may be subscribing news letters. It may be a good idea to share some of the recommendations from these news letters. I hope it is not illegal.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Though I am curious to see what they say (I never subscribe to one), I have read that following one of those may be the fastest way to lose your money.

Well, if I knew a sure way to make money, I wouldn't share it nor bother to publish it. I would be too busy counting my money, sitting in my own yacht moored somewhere in the Mediterranean.

PS. A friend of mine has tried a few of those over the years. I think he is still looking for one that works. By the way, he is still toiling at the same megacorp where I knew him.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If I had a newsletter it would say only, "buy lowish, sell highish." But like other reports I've seen from real newsletters, by the time you read it, it may be too late.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have a friend who sends me a copy of a newsletter he subscribes to. I generally regard what it says as what NOT to do, because newsletters tend to have a "herd mentality" slant to them. YMMV
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Been retired 10 years and am now pretty much settled into an asset allocation including generally conservative funds. 15 years or so ago looked at Dan Wiener's take on Vanguard funds. Primecap, Capital Opportunity and Healthcare were very good to us.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wasn't it in Four Pillars where they backtested some newsletters? The best of the newsletters performed roughly to the market's average, while the worst of them were so bad they defied logic? I think the conclusion was that, overall, you're better off doing exactly the opposite of newsletters than in taking their advice.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've subscribed to several over the years. I am still a fan of the M* Dividend Investor Newsletter. It is slightly ahead of the S&P over the last 4 year, but for me far more valuable than the individual picks is the dividend methodology for analyzing companies. As for the rest I've taken advantage of the low cost or free trail subscriptions and even at free, I am not sure I've got my money's worth.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I've subscribed to several over the years. I am still a fan of the M* Dividend Investor Newsletter. It is slightly ahead of the S&P over the last 4 year, but for me far more valuable than the individual picks is the dividend methodology for analyzing companies. As for the rest I've taken advantage of the low cost or free trail subscriptions and even at free, I am not sure I've got my money's worth.
A reference for that?

Thanks!

Audrey
Old 06-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
A reference for that?

Thanks!

Audrey
The newsletter author wrote a book a couple of years ago. You can read about including my lengthy review here

M* offers a 30 day free trial on most of there newsletters here. They raised their prices so I probably will let my subscriptions lapse.
I am glad I called they grandfathered my price at $69 the dividend newsletter is worth it at $139, not so much. the book is definitely a worthwhile read. Although the many of the stock picks look silly after market events of the last 8 months.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My broker has several newsletters and daily briefs available at a click of a button. S&P's The Outlook is just one of them. Your broker(s) must have all the same newsletters, so why not try to read them?

I'll will say this: I don't read them.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

I do keeps tabs on a variety of newsletters / online article writers - really, a variety of points of view. It seems to me everybody is right & everybody is wrong, just depends on what slice of time you set them down in. I keep tabs on these wide variety of viewpoints for only one reason --- they represent vast pools of capital - usually in some opposition to one another. I think it is useful to have some awareness of a wide variety of viewpoints, irrespective of whether I agree with them or not.

Slice of time is different for all of us. Are we invested / spending according to 80 to 100 years of historical history, or the past 25 years, or should we look to our depression era parents experience as more of guide? I have no idea - none what so ever. But I think all of it must matter in some way. I do not have so much capital doesn't matter, or so little capital it doesn't matter. More like smack dab in the middle of "it might work okay". I sure am happy there is food on the table, my own roof over my head, and the sun came up today.

I have no recommendations for the original poster, other then think for yourself. Make up your own mind what is right for you.

It has crossed my mind that these newsletter writers, aside from lining their own pockets, are basically instructing you in your own do-it-yourself actively managed fund - going out to a subscribership untold in size, all at the same time. No edge, is no edge, no matter where it comes from.

Best to buy low and sell high.
suncameuptoday
Old 06-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sun, I see you are new to the board. How about going to the "Hi, I am..." forum and introducing yourself? A little background always helps those of us who read the philosophical musings here to have a little perspective.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sun, I see you are new to the board. How about going to the "Hi, I am..." forum and introducing yourself? A little background always helps those of us who read the philosophical musings here to have a little perspective.
Okay. Didn't mean to not be polite. Sorry.
suncameuptoday
Old 06-21-2009, 05:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

i use fidelity insight, eric kobren
Old 06-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #16

Yo-

For almost a year - I have subscribed to Stansberry & Assoc Investment Research "Private Wealth Alliance" and Dividend Investor plus a newsletter from a Japanese guy called "Dividend Watch" and Street Authorities "High Yield Investing"- all which have assisted me in turning around my retirement accounts. Before I was leaving these accounts to others to manage - losing about 40% in less than a year!!

As an example - I took back my IRA from my broker on March 30, 2009 at $29k and it closed this past Friday - June 19, 2009 at over $44k. (One of the stocks recommended by S&A Oil Report - Parker Drilling (PKD) at $2.20 is now $4.59 - my only regret is that I didn't have the guts to buy $100k of it)

My strategy is to look over the offering - trial the subscription - and cancel it if I cannot make some serious money using it. So far - I have received 100% of my money back on my cancellations (I keep good records). What I keep are the ones that do thorough research on stocks and industries that I understand and are reasonably priced (right now I'm paying out about $500 a year for all subscriptions).

These subscriptions work for me - but may not be of use to others. Caution and good common sense are required - along with good record keeping - to make the subscriptions work for you.

YMMV

Mike