Stop Saving So Much for Retirement

And, yet, how many do I see here paralyzed by the mere remote possibility of the outlier possibility of living to 95 or older? How many plans do I see that run until the age of 95 or 100?

If one shouldn't consider the possibility of death or disability at an earlier age then one shouldn't consider the possibility of living until 95 or 100 because those certainly aren't very likely either.
:clap:

All my grandparents and their siblings either lived to between 95 and 100, or were heavy smokers and died early from lung cancer. Unless I take up smoking, my plan better allow for living to a nice old age. With ongoing improvements in medical care, it wouldn't surprise me if many people in my generation (even without my family history) make it to these ages as well.

I'm still working, but last year I volunteered for 6 months backstage on an "immersive theatre" production. It was different from my physics day job, but still needed lots of organization, hard work and problem solving. I'd leave work and drive over there by 6:30 to do set up and be there until midnight. It didn't seem like work at all. I plan to do lots more of this pre and post ER as I met some great folks and went to some amazing parties.

Like many I know in real life and who have posted here, I found that once I retired, I very quickly filled the days with activities I enjoy doing. It's really great.

And, yet, how many do I see here paralyzed by the mere remote possibility of the outlier possibility of living to 95 or older? How many plans do I see that run until the age of 95 or 100?

If one shouldn't consider the possibility of death or disability at an earlier age then one shouldn't consider the possibility of living until 95 or 100 because those certainly aren't very likely either.
I like to address the problems/potential problems that I can. Getting hit by lighting at age 52 isn't something I can reasonably do anything about. Deliberately building a plan that has a significant chance of leaving me destitute at 95 just because I probably won't live that long is a whole different thing. Everyone is different, but I'll enjoy age 65 more if I'm nearly certain the money will last as long as I'll need it.

I like to address the problems/potential problems that I can. Getting hit by lighting at age 52 isn't something I can reasonably do anything about. Deliberately building a plan that has a significant chance of leaving me destitute at 95 just because I probably won't live that long is a whole different thing. Everyone is different, but I'll enjoy age 65 more if I'm nearly certain the money will last as long as I'll need it.
I disagree. I rather spend more money and enjoy myself at the age of 60, than deprive myself on the small chance that I might be alive at the age of 95.

A lot of posters feel it is easy to separate one's job from the corporate environment. I think this is easier for some jobs than others. For example when I was working my job was quite senior and to a large extent consisted of interrelating with other senior execs including the CEO. Not sure in my case I could separate the two effects. In any event, I eventually grew to dislike the job and most of the people.y

A lot of posters feel it is easy to separate one's job from the corporate environment. I think this is easier for some jobs than others. For example when I was working my job was quite senior and to a large extent consisted of interrelating with other senior execs including the CEO. Not sure in my case I could separate the two effects. In any event, I eventually grew to dislike the job and most of the people.y

I know what you mean. When I was an adult film star, I really liked the work itself as it was quite enjoyable. It was all the other required smoozing and sucking up that was the difficult part. I saw many a big star retire early as they just couln't keep it up anymore.

I know what you mean. When I was an adult film star, I really liked the work itself as it was quite enjoyable. It was all the other required smoozing and sucking up that was the difficult part. I saw many a big star retire early as they just couln't keep it up anymore.

+1

Back
Top Bottom