Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
And, yet, how many do I see here paralyzed by the mere remote possibility of the outlier possibility of living to 95 or older? How many plans do I see that run until the age of 95 or 100?

If one shouldn't consider the possibility of death or disability at an earlier age then one shouldn't consider the possibility of living until 95 or 100 because those certainly aren't very likely either.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All my grandparents and their siblings either lived to between 95 and 100, or were heavy smokers and died early from lung cancer. Unless I take up smoking, my plan better allow for living to a nice old age. With ongoing improvements in medical care, it wouldn't surprise me if many people in my generation (even without my family history) make it to these ages as well.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I'm still working, but last year I volunteered for 6 months backstage on an "immersive theatre" production. It was different from my physics day job, but still needed lots of organization, hard work and problem solving. I'd leave work and drive over there by 6:30 to do set up and be there until midnight. It didn't seem like work at all. I plan to do lots more of this pre and post ER as I met some great folks and went to some amazing parties.
Like many I know in real life and who have posted here, I found that once I retired, I very quickly filled the days with activities I enjoy doing. It's really great.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
There are few people in life I envy more than those who truly love their work and can't imagine not doing it (assuming they don't lose their job). I envy them more than people with large COLA'd pensions, even.
I have a COLA'd pension. I'm not envying the happy w*rking people.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
And, yet, how many do I see here paralyzed by the mere remote possibility of the outlier possibility of living to 95 or older? How many plans do I see that run until the age of 95 or 100?

If one shouldn't consider the possibility of death or disability at an earlier age then one shouldn't consider the possibility of living until 95 or 100 because those certainly aren't very likely either.
I like to address the problems/potential problems that I can. Getting hit by lighting at age 52 isn't something I can reasonably do anything about. Deliberately building a plan that has a significant chance of leaving me destitute at 95 just because I probably won't live that long is a whole different thing. Everyone is different, but I'll enjoy age 65 more if I'm nearly certain the money will last as long as I'll need it.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I like to address the problems/potential problems that I can. Getting hit by lighting at age 52 isn't something I can reasonably do anything about. Deliberately building a plan that has a significant chance of leaving me destitute at 95 just because I probably won't live that long is a whole different thing. Everyone is different, but I'll enjoy age 65 more if I'm nearly certain the money will last as long as I'll need it.
I disagree. I rather spend more money and enjoy myself at the age of 60, than deprive myself on the small chance that I might be alive at the age of 95.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I disagree. I rather spend more money and enjoy myself at the age of 60, than deprive myself on the small chance that I might be alive at the age of 95.
Then an annuity is for you?
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #108

A lot of posters feel it is easy to separate one's job from the corporate environment. I think this is easier for some jobs than others. For example when I was working my job was quite senior and to a large extent consisted of interrelating with other senior execs including the CEO. Not sure in my case I could separate the two effects. In any event, I eventually grew to dislike the job and most of the people.y
Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
A lot of posters feel it is easy to separate one's job from the corporate environment. I think this is easier for some jobs than others. For example when I was working my job was quite senior and to a large extent consisted of interrelating with other senior execs including the CEO. Not sure in my case I could separate the two effects. In any event, I eventually grew to dislike the job and most of the people.y
I know what you mean. When I was an adult film star, I really liked the work itself as it was quite enjoyable. It was all the other required smoozing and sucking up that was the difficult part. I saw many a big star retire early as they just couln't keep it up anymore.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
I know what you mean. When I was an adult film star, I really liked the work itself as it was quite enjoyable. It was all the other required smoozing and sucking up that was the difficult part. I saw many a big star retire early as they just couln't keep it up anymore.
+1

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote