Stop working = More college financial aid?

youbet said:
How common is it for a school offering need-based financial aid to insist that the student accept a campus job as part of that aid? For example, the school offers a total of $15K. $10K as a grant and $5K as a campus job.
DW said that it would be a very uncommon situation for an undergrad student, but quite normal for a graduate one.
She said she would need to know way more details to give you any meaningful comments.
If you want to pursue it further you can PM me.

youbet said:
But, these don't sound like "gaming the system." It sounds more like followng the rules. Perhaps we just have a different understanding of "gaming the system."
Well, in the ER world "gaming the system" is probably a pretty high bar.:)

I will tell you that in higher education circles (where I hang out in my alternate universe) there are plenty of Crunchy Granola types who will tell you it is wrong, and gaming the system, to do the following: 1. save up $200K for Jr.'s education, 2. when Jr. is a HS senior, pay off your $200K mortgage, so that 3. the $200K is not counted as an asset for financial aid. (Money in the bank counts, home equity doesn't count.)

And that it is wrong to send Jr. to Flagship State U. for free when he could have gone to Big-Name Private U. for $45K per year. The thinking there is that it is bad parenting to not send Jr. to his "dream" school, regardless of the cost, no sacrifice will be spared, etc.

sailor said:
DW said that it would be a very uncommon situation for an undergrad student, but quite normal for a graduate one.
She said she would need to know way more details to give you any meaningful comments.
If you want to pursue it further you can PM me.

Thanks sailor......

No need for further follow-up. I was just curious due to a situation relatives had with their daughter and financial aid. She was going to a small, private college on a combination of a need-based grant, a campus job and their payments which amounted to about half. Her grandfather stepped in and offered to contribute the amount needed so she could give up the job, which she didn't care for. The next year, the college responded by reducing the need-based grant by the amount of the job. :confused: Last I heard, they negotiated some arrangement......

This might be very unusual. I know the school has a philosophy of students performing campus work and a high percentage do so....

jazz4cash said:
The 529 plans don't help you with regard to FAFSA. FAFSA looks at all income, non-retirement assets and investment property including, I think a second home.

The form says "Investments include real estate (do not include the home you live in), trust funds, money market funds, mutual funds, DCs, stocks, stock options, bonds, other securities, education IRAs, college savings plans, installment and land sale contracts (including mortgages held), commodities, etc.

Investments do not include the home you live in, cash, savings, checking accounts, the value of life insureance and retirement plans (pension funds, annuities, noneducation IRAs, Keogh plans, etc.) or the value of prepaid tuition plans."

Cash, savings and checking account balance ARE counted elsewhere on the form.

I got lucky when I used my 401k plan for both retirement and college savings. I can roll funds to an IRA and then withdraw without penalty. Now I am thinking maybe I could withdraw in alternating years to reduce FAFSA impact since the withdrawals will show up as income

529 plans DO COUNT in the calculator, but nowhere near as much as custodial plans and other investments.........:)

I’ve thought about this a great deal recently. I have five children that I hope to eventually send to college, so getting financial aid is a big dollar question for me. I have decided that I won’t qualify for financial aid when the time comes because of my assets, even if I have zero or no income. I would be interested in everyone’s opinions on the conclusions that I have reached. Especially if you have personal experience that contradicts anything I’m saying here I’d be interested to hear about it.

1. Almost everything you read claims that assets don’t matter, and income is what determines your financial aid. This is probably true for most people, but false for ER types. The formulas apply roughly 5-6% of your assets to your child’s tuition – so if you have $1m or more you will not qualify.

2. The federal methodology says that your assets don’t get counted under the simplified means test (income <$50k and 1040A), but what I have read is that this is not the case for the bulk of the financial aid money. So, you might get a Pell grant, but when the financial aid officer sees that big asset balance he’s just not going to give you any institutional money.

3. Even retirement assets and home equity are counted by many institutions. So for some institutions it may make a difference to put all your assets in a big house or annuity, but for many it will not matter. I’m not sure how you can find out before making such a dramatic move if it will be effective or not.

4. Some people claim that almost all financial aid is loans anyway. This does not appear to be the case when you look at the stats (when you see that average financial aid is, say, $25k a year for a school, and average loans on graduation are, say $35k in total), but it makes me wonder how much work I should really put into qualifying.

dt123 said:
I will tell you that in higher education circles (where I hang out in my alternate universe) there are plenty of Crunchy Granola types who will tell you it is wrong, and gaming the system, to do the following: 1. save up $200K for Jr.'s education, 2. when Jr. is a HS senior, pay off your $200K mortgage, so that 3. the $200K is not counted as an asset for financial aid. (Money in the bank counts, home equity doesn't count.)

The university tuition system is broken. Anytime you disconnect the people who pay for a service and the people who use it you have a problem. If universities simply charged everyone $40k then there would be an outrage, but because most people pay a fraction of that they can get away with charging anything. The idea that it should legitimately cost $40k to educate a kid is just silly.

Schools feel that they are owed every single penny you have, even over and above the $40k price tag – as you can tell from the constant requests for money even beyond the tuition checks you write. With that in mind, I don’t feel bad working the system to whatever effect I can to qualify for all the aid I can.

2B said:
I have always wondered why anyone would pay over 5X the cost of a high quality public college. The "return on investment" in the way of income just isn't there.

I disagree with those who say that the return on investment is not there for the big-name schools. If you look around at the CEOs, investment bankers, lawyers, etc that are making big big money in the world you will see a lot of big name schools. There are a lot of people who didn’t have that background, to be sure, but if you want to maximize your income then a big name school can allow you to skip several years of “proving yourself” at a lesser job or a lesser institution. The value of that over a 20 year career is huge.

Now, with all that said, you have to be the sort of person that is going to persue something that makes big money, and you need to go to a school that offers this sort of opportunity. There are plenty of schools that cost $40k+ and have limited cache.

I disagree with those who say that the return on investment is not there for the big-name schools. If you look around at the CEOs, investment bankers, lawyers, etc that are making big big money in the world you will see a lot of big name schools. There are a lot of people who didn’t have that background, to be sure, but if you want to maximize your income then a big name school can allow you to skip several years of “proving yourself” at a lesser job or a lesser institution. The value of that over a 20 year career is huge.

That is true for professional degrees, such as MBA, law, because of name recognition and more importantly - networking.

FinanceDude said:
529 plans DO COUNT in the calculator, but nowhere near as much as custodial plans and other investments.........:)

I think we are saying the same thing....529 plans "Do Count" and thats why they don't help you qualify for financial aid.

Just to throw out some ballpark figures, here are two scenarios presented by the Director of Financial aid at a recent open house:

1. Family of 4 with 1 in college, income= 60k w/ assets of 35k and student income of 2k.........EFC (expected family contribution)=7k

2. Family of 5 with 1 in college, income=125k w/assets of5k and student income of 900........EFC= 26.5k

Conclusion: The EFC can run 10-35% depending on your circumstances. I think have more than one child in college is a big help in reducing the EFC. (check the calculator in my prior post........it has both Federal and "private" methodology formats). I am looking into that now as I will have 2 yr overlap. Otherwise, this schools indicates 200% of the poverty level is where all needs are met ............thats 38k for a family of

Exactly. These are the sorts of examples you always see, accompanied by the conclusion that assets don't matter in the financial aid process. Sure they don't matter -- if you don't have any! The literature also makes the claim that 5-6% expected contribution is a pittance, but when you're looking at 5 kids X 4 Years X 6% = 120% it seems rather large.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom