Join Early Retirement Today

Stories of TRULY YOUNG ERs Under 40s
Old 05-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Stories of TRULY YOUNG ERs Under 40s

Any under 40s that are ER and want to share how they did it? Particularly those that are living comfortably (more than 50K a year)? Given the parameters, there may be few on this forum. If there are limited replies, perhaps we can 'raise the bar' to the under 50s that are ER

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Stories of TRULY YOUNG ERs Under 40s
Old 05-02-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you looking for guidance?

I was FI at 37 when I sold my little software biz.* *The idea to ER didn't really dawn on me till 40.

If you want to exit by 40 with a "comfortable" life, I don't think the traditional advice of saving and LBYM will do the trick.* * You'll probably either need hypergrowth, lots of leverage, or a big inheritance.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't pulled the plug yet, but at 35 I could ER on more than $50K currently. Like wab said, I don't think you will find a whole lot of helpful advice on building a seven figure investment portfolio before the age of 40. I did it by lucking/working my way into a high paying Wall Street job and by avoiding most of the high spending habits of my colleagues.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

wab, 3yrstogo:
The two of you could be ERed before 40! Isn't that a paradox that your are saying it is not possible? Very difficult? Other?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #5

I think you've heard of Bill Gates? Tons of stories like that!

- For the average guy that wants to retire at a younger age you'll probably have to look at a little older. This is where the real 'Gems' are LBYM, saving, investing - The getting rich slowly plan!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
Isn't that a paradox that your are saying it is not possible?
Definitely possible.* *Here's my 10-step program.

But if you want to take the traditional approach of saving your money, then you'll basically need to save $2M in under 18 years (assuming you went to college).* *If you can sock away $40K each year and average 10% returns, then you can get there, but that's more than most people can save.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:21 PM   #7

Quote:
wab, 3yrstogo:
The two of you could be ERed before 40! Isn't that a paradox that your are saying it is not possible? Very difficult? Other?
I think they are saying that not too many people can command high salary or profits from business venture under 40. For an ordinary folk like me would have to LBYM, save and work longer.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #8

....or live on less than 50k, which a lot people can do and be quite happy.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
wab, 3yrstogo:
The two of you could be ERed before 40!* * Isn't that a paradox that your are saying it is not possible? Very difficult? Other?*
It is obviously possible. *But I'd wager that our path is not likely replicable by most others reading these boards. *The choices I made that will allow me to retire before 40 started when I was 16 or 17 years old. *It's probably possible for someone in their late teens or very early twenties to follow my path but much older than that becomes very difficult. *

If you are of that age and are interested in pursuing a demanding, high stress career in the name of retiring before 40 (a paradox in its own right) you can follow my path. *

1) Move to NYC and get an undergraduate degree in finance
2) Internships followed by a real job in banking
3) MBA in accounting and finance from a top 10 business school (don't be fooled, a top 10 B school is very important)
4) Either get recruited directly into a front office "Wall Street" position or keep switching jobs until you can move into the front office
5) Work 80+ hour weeks for many years and avoid making enemies
6) Never, ever, spend your bonus
7) Retire by 40

(An aptitude for finance also helps.)
Old 05-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
But if you want to take the traditional approach of saving your money, then you'll basically need to save $2M in under 18 years (assuming you went to college). If you can sock away $40K each year and average 10% returns, then you can get there, but that's more than most people can save.
What Wab said. I plan to be able to ER by 35 or so based on our current investments and savings rates and using a reasonable growth rate (I think I guessed 7.x% for my own projections). Of course my wife works too. And we save close to 60% of gross compensation. And we have a combined low six figure income. All those help. It's hard but doable.

Even if the market tanks pretty bad (a la great depression), I'll be there by 40 no sweat.

I did make a couple of smart moves to get me to this point though.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #11

Quote:
3) MBA in accounting and finance from a top 10 business school (don't be fooled, a top 10 B school is very important)
I carpool with a person who graduated with an MBA in finance from the University of Michigan. He said that his colleagues are making an average of $300K a year at Wall Street. Obviously, he is not since he is still carpooling with me.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Girl
Any under 40s that are ER and want to share how they did it?* Particularly those that are living comfortably (more than 50K a year)?* Given the parameters, there may be few on this forum.* If there are limited replies, perhaps we can 'raise the bar' to the under 50s that are ER
The best way to ER under 40 is to start a business and make it succesful, I started mine in '92 and ER'ed at 37 in 2002...in just about ten years. I don't think there is any other, quicker way to do it.

LBYM helps, making serious dough running a business helps more.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yes - I bet most "self-made" folks who ER'd before 40 owned a piece of a business and were able to sell it.

Stock options.* ER'd at 39 after an 18 year career in high-tech land.* I helped build the business from the early days. Lucky for me it was successful.

Audrey
Old 05-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Yes - I bet most "self-made" folks who ER'd before 40 owned a piece of a business and were able to sell it.
I wouldn't have been able to semi-retire in my mid 30s without having my own small business, unless I got lucky with stock options at the right time or had investment real estate at the right time. There was no luck or timing issue with my business, just a lot of hours of dedication and persistence.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

FIREd at age 36 about a year ago. Expat life and LBYM combined with investing did it for me. Oh, single/no kids probably also added to the equation, but was not a concious decision as such.
Living in Asia currently I would find it hard (read; would not add to my happiness) to spend $50k/year but could if I wanted to. Cheers!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:42 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Brother's only child, a girl, 29, he just set aside a million for her.(there are time lines and conditions).

He worked 7 days a week as a self employed Trades Guy, really frugal, some may say tight wad, ER now at 60, he crunched the numbers and decided to do things now.

I wonder how many other millionaires got there/will get there , by their parent's largesse, and I expect in the next few years we will see one of the greatest intergenerational transfers of wealth in History.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
I wonder how many other millionaires got there/will get there , by their parent's largesse, and I expect in the next few years we will see one of the greatest intergenerational transfers of wealth in History.
i've read it is not just the greatest intergenerational transfers, but the greatest wealth transfer of any kind in history.

i'm beneficiary of that phenomenon. though i probably could have retired by 55-60 on my own, not making much money but lbym & investing well. the transfer gets me there 5-10 years early. frankly, i would rather have kept working and kept my mom as well.

vanity license plate seen on a brand new porsche: momiou1

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
vanity license plate seen on a brand new porsche: momiou1
I'd roll in my grave/urn if I found out my children had wasted their inheritance on a porsche. I may even come back to haunt them.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:24 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Unless it was a nice back porche attached to a nice housche with good appreciation value.

Whats that old saying? You inherit it, steal it or win it? With few exception, I'd say most under 50 (forget 40) ER's got there that way, or maybe LBYM'ing it in their 50's. I think if you LBYM yourself into an ER in your 30's or even your 40's you arent enjoying much of a life.

Me? I won it partially and stole it partially, with plenty of luck. But then again, hundreds of thousands of other people were presented with the same opportunities and didnt take advantage of it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I'd roll in my grave/urn if I found out my children had wasted their inheritance on a porsche.* ** I may even come back to haunt them.*
Me too. *That is why my goal is to spend every dime before I die so they won't be
"burdened" with all that money to screw up their lives. *

Seriously, my brother and I won't get much in the way of an inheritance...mom needs every dime she has to pay for her Assisted Living expenses for the next several years. *She could out live us both. *Luckily neither of us need it or want it so if there is anything left it will go to our kids. *