Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

http://intelligentblends.com/

Watch for specials, closeouts, sales.

I get 100 for around $28. The best part is, these are good tasting coffees.

Try a sampler with various blends. I tend to like the Organic Espresso.

Single batch blends will be more. I only buy when a good deal pops up.

bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband used the reusable cups in a single serve machine with Folgers, but the coffee never came out hot enough plus he hated cleaning the machine.

So now he uses our 41 year old Farberware peculator with Folgers and he seems happy with that. He used to drink Folgers instant most of his life.

I am a tea drinker.

meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I found a Perfect Pod Eco-Flow Single-Serve Reusable Coffee Filter (reusable K-cup) at Wegmans for $4.99, and the mesh is really fine, practically like cloth, I have no detectable grounds if I make sure no grounds are on the seal and close it tight. My biggest problem is that I need to make two 4-oz cups, using two K-cups, to get a decent cup of coffee. I found some K-cups on clearance for about 18 cents a piece, but after I use those up I'll probably go back to my Melitta pour-over cone brewer.

(Oh, and when I use K-cups I peel the lid off, put the grounds in the compost, and put the cup in the recycling, which makes it more of a pain than the pour-over brewer.)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

We’ve tried nearly every option available in the K-Cup realm, mostly in the quest to reduce our per-cup cost. Of the various refillable k-cups, we finally ended up using the “E-Z Cup” brand as we prefer the taste using the paper drop-in cups better than that from the metal-screen refillables. They’re quicker to use because we just pop out the paper filter cups containing the used grounds and drop them into the trash. No having to spray out the metal screens. Better yet, we can choose any coffee and make it to any strength. DW and I like the plain-Jane Kirkland brand but we make up her cups with slightly less coffee in them. Yet every now and again we’ll see a coffee that looks/sounds interesting (or we receive as a gift) and now it no longer matters whether it comes in K-cups or not. We used to buy our E-Z cup paper filters on Amazon but now Target carries them at the same price which comes out to a dime per cup, not counting the coffee.

On a somewhat related side note, we’ve gone thru two Keurig machines over the years and it appears to us that the quality of the Keurigs has fallen off over the years. Our “best” Keurig machine has actually been a Cuisinart!
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Use the coffee of your choice in these: https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Cups...53542324&psc=1

+1 on that. Use them all the time.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:04 PM   #46
Dryer sheet wannabe

Strategic Sourcing - - - K-cups

I always hate responding with an “answer” that isn’t responsive to the question but here I go anyway. :-)

Check out a refurbished super automatic coffee machine like Jura or DeLonghi. They run around ~$500 but make European style coffee with crema. Basically it’s like my old Keurig but no waste that I can’t compost and MUCH better coffee.

We’ve owned our refurbished Jura for years (thousands of cups) and our in-laws/parents have had DeLonghis for the same. I’ve bought from Whole Latte Love and First in Coffee and had excellent service.

Example of what I’m talking about:

https://www.1stincoffee.com/refurbished-jura-micro5.htm

https://www.wholelattelove.com/refur...presso-machine
Fairfax2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #47
gone traveling

Drinking instant coffee for thirty years. Some people I know spend $30 or more a week at Starbucks to get their fix. 30 years of that about $30k from drinking coffee? No thank you.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Drinking instant coffee for thirty years. Some people I know spend $30 or more a week at Starbucks to get their fix. 30 years of that about $30k from drinking coffee? No thank you.
Check out David Bach's term "the latte factor" in his book "the automatic millionaire". Real eye opener....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finally ditched my keurig and returned to a grind and brew .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
(Oh, and when I use K-cups I peel the lid off, put the grounds in the compost, and put the cup in the recycling, which makes it more of a pain than the pour-over brewer.)
I do the same. Coffee grounds make great compost.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:24 AM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

No Cups

We have found that by purchasing your favorite whole bean or ground coffee online in bulk bags (we use Amazon to purchase 2.5 lb bags of Starbucks House Blend for about $26 per bag) our per cup cost is 26 cents per cup. The coffee is brewed in our old reliable 2 to 10 cup thermal carafe Cuisinart using paper cone filters, and tastes better than the coffee dispensed at Starbucks (or most other coffee shops) where they charge 8 to 10 times our cost.
Thermal carafe is the key.
I personally have never found pods that taste right, as I prefer somewhat richer stronger coffee than pods allow.
Just my 2 cents here 🙂
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Those are your only 2 options...instant or Starbucks? I grind quality beans daily and enjoy great coffee for a few pennies a day.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:21 AM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Those are your only 2 options...instant or Starbucks? I grind quality beans daily and enjoy great coffee for a few pennies a day.
To each is own. You enjoy your beans and I will enjoy my instant coffee. I don't need to deal with operating and cleaning the grinder machines, buying beans and cluttering up my kitchen. I grew up poor drinking and appreciating instant coffee retired early and still appreciate instant after all these years
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

I buy Keurig K cups from Costco when on sale, other times, grind and use our own beans in the K cup reusable cups.
Lately, have gone back to our percolator--seems to make better tasting coffee and we can make 4-12 cups.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #55

Interesting discussion, but this is definitely a YMMV case.We had a Mr. Coffee, but got a Keurig. I tried using ground coffee, put it was a PITA to clean the holder. Call me lazy, but I buy my coffee pods on sale from San Francisco Coffee. Their pods are biodegradable, unlike the Keurig ones.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
I use Victor Allen Coffee K-Cups
Old 01-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #56
Confused about dryer sheets

I use Victor Allen Coffee K-Cups

I like Victor Allen brand K-Cups. I'm not a coffee connoisseur but I really like their donut shop, French Roast and Italian roast. I get mine on sale for $19.99 for 80 count, ~$.25/cup. Victor Allen is located in Wisconsin and I've seen it sold on Amazon.
dadsterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

The problem with those plastic reusable kcups is that they often have mesh panels. Kcups rely on internal pressure to maximize the interaction between water and ground. Mesh decreases pressure. Wife and I take an equally cheap but potentially tastier approach by rinsing and reusing regular kcups. On Amazo or Ebay, you can buy hard plastic reusable caps that sit tightly inside top rim, solving the pressure issue. Confession- a couple times per year, as kcups wear out, we spring for another cartoon of Kirkland brand at costco. We make EASY coffee for a month and end up with fresh kcup supply!
cantfindmyglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantfindmyglasses View Post
The problem with those plastic reusable kcups is that they often have mesh panels. Kcups rely on internal pressure to maximize the interaction between water and ground. Mesh decreases pressure. Wife and I take an equally cheap but potentially tastier approach by rinsing and reusing regular kcups. On Amazo or Ebay, you can buy hard plastic reusable caps that sit tightly inside top rim, solving the pressure issue. Confession- a couple times per year, as kcups wear out, we spring for another cartoon of Kirkland brand at costco. We make EASY coffee for a month and end up with fresh kcup supply!
Based on your post I tried the reusable cap and now I'm never going back to the reusable cups. Definite improvement in taste. A bit more of a pita at first, but worth it.
jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
Based on your post I tried the reusable cap and now I'm never going back to the reusable cups. Definite improvement in taste. A bit more of a pita at first, but worth it.

I don't have one of these machines, but I find your decision is supported when I have a cup of coffee from them. The factory loaded cups are just OK at best. The ones made at home are much better.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

We got Keurig #1 about 5 years ago. I have always used the refillable units along with my favorite grinds. #1 died a couple of months ago so I put it in the garage, meaning to work on it later but got lazy. DW, in the meantime (unknown to me) ordered a new one (#2) from Amazon. #2 quit working recently. I noticed too many coffee grinds in the cup area. As it was under warranty I called Keurig and they talked me thru some trouble shooting machinations, but that did not heal #2. Keurig sent me a new (#3) K-Mini. No cost to me. I received it yesterday.

Can you see what's coming?

Yesterday, I got #2 running again (loose grounds in cup area). Today I located #1 in the garage, fiddled with #1 again and got it working again (loose grounds visible).

We now have 3 Keurig K-Minis working.

In the future I will only use pre-filled, closed K-cups. No more refills.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote