Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Stronger Thai Baht...
Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Now your all making fun of me

I think i got a bit carried away the other (long) evening a few too many gin and tonics, must remember to hide the lap top the next time i get drunk

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by claire

I think i got a bit carried away the other (long) evening a few too many gin and tonics, must remember to hide the lap top the next time i get drunk
I don't think anyone is making fun of you. We're making fun of the idea that to live in Thailand is to accept an extremely high probability that you'll be raped and/or murdered.

I'd say most here disagree with your assessment of the crime threat in Thailand.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

CHP... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sam, you may email me a Sendbaht@hotmail.com

But, my daughter is fluent in Thai and is going to a Catholic American University in Chaing Mai Thailand. She plans to work as a Nurse in Thailand and is now doing on the job training in a ER.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:55 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Naaa, just joking around a bit. I think you Brits call it a "wind up"

Seriously, keep in mind that Thailand claims to host about 15 million foreign visitors each year. Sadly, it is inevitable that some will find them selves in harm's way...

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RP Send a message via Skype™ to RP

This thread really should be titled "weaker Dollar". For reference, although the dollar has been holding it's own the past few months it has lost a bit since this time last year and is currently at a five year low in the Philippines.

I live in the Philippines because I "married into" the country, we like being close to my wife's large family. But I lived several years in Thailand, in the provinces, and had the privilege of having quite a number of Thais working for me ... so I feel my knowledge came from a deeper level than a typical expat living the western lifestyle in a 'cheap' country. Thailand is certainly on our list of countries we would try if for some reason the Philippines became inhospitable.

ER in South East Asia is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but that's a primary reason I enjoy it. My wife, who was more attached to our last US location (Colorado Springs) than I was, still reads the COS paper online every day, commenting on the cop killings, random drive-by shootings and the other facts of life that happen everywhere.

As far as 'danger', though, it's all relative. I'd rather be living in the Philippines with the family, neighbors and business people I deal with every day than in any US city I am acquainted with. The low cost of living just makes the icing on the cake.

RP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendbaht
But, my daughter is fluent in Thai and is going to a Catholic American University in Chaing Mai Thailand. She plans to work as a Nurse in Thailand and is now doing on the job training in a ER.
Thanks for the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
CHP... :P
What's CHP?

Quote:
Ahem... Well, just a little bit It's not your fault though, it's the drunk laptop!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam

What's CHP?
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...94889#msg94889

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #29

Thanks. I thought it has to do with writing while being chased by the California Highway Patrol!