Join Early Retirement Today

Structured Sale or use of a M&A Reseller Experience
Old 04-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Structured Sale or use of a M&A Reseller Experience

I am hoping there are few out there with insight on selling their own Sub S corp with tax efficiency. My question;
Has anyone had good or bad experience in using a third party M&A reseller for liquidation of their business, or experience using a Structured Sale such as the Allstate Life Structure Sale Annuity? If not, did you find an installment sale went well. This is for selling a PS corp filing under Fed Sub S.

I did some preliminary calcs and realized taking the lump sum at 20% cap gains was not the end to the pain. The carryover of the 3.8% Net Investment Income tax and AMT really pushes the sale back to an installment contract to avoid excessive tax. My calcs put the net cost at 30% to taxes even though its long term gain. However I see the above options provide the same benefits, with lower risk for buyer default as well as implied participation in the ongoing business. I just do not know the cost (% of sale) lost in using either method to a third party. An installment method lowers the tax to 20%, still high but better than 30% in one year. Could be the AMT in 2018 is less, but not as much a factor as the 3.8% NIIT.

I am considering selling other properties as well as the business to simplify life, after all, I thought I retired but now spend too much time and pain dealing with them between trips abroad.

Any help would be appreciated, PM me if you wish. I am just looking for pros and cons from real experience.

Thanks
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!