Success Magazine's 5-Step Online Investing Method

Kamwak

Confused about dryer sheets
I went to a seminar yesterday called "Get Motivated". The seminar had a lot of good speakers like Steve Forbes and Colin Powell. Phil Town who wrote the book Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week! was also a speaker and he was pitching an investing program by Success Magazine's 5-Step Online Investing Method. He said you would make 15-25% year in and year out with very little risk using covered calls. The program was on sale for that day only for "only $999...any other day it would be $6K+. This sounds too good to me...there has got to be a catch. Has anyone used this investing method or heard about it?
Thanks,
Kamwak

It is wonderful. Everyone should buy it. I hope you didn't let the opportunity pass.

Ha

Run away from this nonsense.

So unless it is worth ~$1k to hear the likes of S Forbes and Colin Powell talk it won't be worth it.

I have seen these things advertised. They are often held in sports arenas and the like. You could be sitting quite aways away from the speakers.

Covered calls: all of the downside risk, none of the upside potential, and with very little income. I'll pass on those "safe" investments.

It is much more than just attending one more seminar. It is a very extensive educational program - with many different levels you can join. This part of it is a big turnoff - but they do have a lot to offer. For more information than you probably care to read about - is at:
Phil Town & INVESTools on InvestorGeeks

Those that speak negatively of the program (on the website) typically haven't been very involved. If you have lots of time, and want to learn a lot more about the stock market and options - and can get past their "bait" with the investment classes, it is worth the effort. Hope this helps!

Go away spammers! We have enough advertising on this site without your BS.

Brew...I am not spaming...just asking a question!

The answer is the obvious. If it really worked, one wouldn't need to sell it. :p

I went to a seminar yesterday called "Get Motivated". The seminar had a lot of good speakers like Steve Forbes and Colin Powell. Phil Town who wrote the book Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week! was also a speaker and he was pitching an investing program by Success Magazine's 5-Step Online Investing Method. He said you would make 15-25% year in and year out with very little risk using covered calls. The program was on sale for that day only for "only $999...any other day it would be $6K+. This sounds too good to me...there has got to be a catch. Has anyone used this investing method or heard about it?
Thanks,
Kamwak

Ok.............I'll help.........;) I am in a partnership with an RIA who has been one for 20 years. He does covered call writing EVERYDAY, and if there was a system for doing it with little risk and making 15-25% a year, he would have found it, developed it, and used it.

Sounds like a toned-down version of a little varmint called Wade Cook, who used to do seminars telling folks to write covered calls on stocks under $5 that had a lot of volume. I don't know who got to him faster, the SEC or the IRS, but he's toast.

Quite honestly, the REAL MONEY is made in selling "suckers" the "way to riches" for "only $999.........:p

There must be a turnip truck convention in town.

Does this guy ( Kamwak or KanDo) know 'Faith'?

If you are truly not a spammer, then explain why Investools is LOSING MONEY as a corporation? Don't they practice what they preach?

from that other thread:

INVESTools, Inc. (SWIM)

SWIM: Key Statistics for INVESTOOLS INC - Yahoo! Finance

Profit Margin (ttm): -16.13%
Operating Margin (ttm): -10.34%

Management Effectiveness
Return on Assets (ttm): -4.77%
Return on Equity (ttm): -115.91%
EBITDA (ttm): -9.51M
Net Income Avl to Common (ttm): -34.95M
Diluted EPS (ttm): -0.66

Balance Sheet
Total Cash (mrq): 33.92M
Total Debt (mrq): 123.12M

Last edited:
If it sounds too good to be true, :dead:

"Only $999", huh? When I had my Investools "experience" it was called the BusinessWeek 5-Step Online Investing Method and I [-]wasted[/-] spent more than $3,000 before I woke up and came to my senses. Boy, how I wish I knew about this forum back then. Oh well.

I agree with the others here -- if these systems were any good, the pros would already know about them. Save your money! The only ones who'll make money from these schemes are the folks selling em...but judging by their recent financials, maybe not so much.

Isn't it like winning the lottery? Just throw the $999 over your shoulder and have your dear spouse catch it.

A good friend spent 4k on Optioneer; it's an options trading scheme. Swore he'ld make 50% on his wad every year. Still waiting for those results. Did make 15% last year (about what the S&P paid with a lot less risk).

Have a call into him ... I'll ask for this years results so far. Seems it's always ONE bad trade that ruins the year. Oh well ...

I gotta wonder, are people like Faith, Kando and Kamwak really spammers?

I mean, a little time spent searching the forum would show that a lot of people here will shine a bright light on the 'get rich quick' schemes. Which seems to get them a lot more negative publicity than positive.

I guess I'm giving spammers too much credit.

-ERD50

I gotta wonder, are people like Faith, Kando and Kamwak really spammers?

-ERD50

Odds are they aren't all spammers. There clearly are people who buy these programs which means there have to be people who don't know they are junk ... and some of those people probably just end up here.

I would also guess that since most of these programs seem to have advertising budgets that allow them to buy seemingly endless hours of time on cable every weekend that they may not feel they need to spam. But of course that's pure conjecture.

Well...to be the devil's advocate...if writing covered calls is a guaranteed losing strategy...and options transactions are a zero sum game...then taking the opposite side of the trade (buy the option, short the equity)...must be a guaranteed winning game?

Its all not that simple folks. Writing covered calls CAN actually be a decent income generating strategy when done in a reasonable way (minimized trading costs, keeping taxes at bay by doing it in an IRA, etc.).

In reality, something like 90% of all CBOE options expire worthless. Hence the motivation to be an options seller, not an options buyer.

But, I sure as **** wouldn't pay $3k ... or $999 ... or whatever ... to learn about this remarkable strategy. The public Wiki page explains it well enough for me to implement it as I choose.

Well...to be the devil's advocate...if writing covered calls is a guaranteed losing strategy...

Who said CCs must be losing? I think we were just responding to 'Only 15 Minutes a Week! ... make 15-25% year in and year out with very little risk using covered calls'

THAT, I think is unrealistic. I was about to describe technically why I think so, but common sense (and other posters) give us the answer. Why sell the idea (and lose money doing it?), if it so great? Just do it, and keep it to yourself.
-ERD50

Well...to be the devil's advocate...if writing covered calls is a guaranteed losing strategy...and options transactions are a zero sum game...then taking the opposite side of the trade (buy the option, short the equity)...must be a guaranteed winning game?

Its all not that simple folks. Writing covered calls CAN actually be a decent income generating strategy when done in a reasonable way (minimized trading costs, keeping taxes at bay by doing it in an IRA, etc.).

Yes, but the OP indicated a 25% return. It is not the derivative instrument that is the demon. It is the get rich quick lure and the @$$h0!3 that tries to sell these systems to naive people. Leading them to believe that there is some sure-fire short-cut to fast money.

Why is the ticker for Investools "SWIM"? Is it because they are underwater? Drowning?

I came across this somewhat related post on wikipedia and thought it would be of interest here ...

A forex scam is any trading scheme used to defraud individual traders by convincing them that they can expect to gain an unreasonably high profit by trading in the foreign exchange market, which would be a zero-sum game were it not for the fact that there are brokerage commissions, which technically make forex a "negative-sum" game.

These scams might include churning of customer accounts for the purpose of generating commissions, selling software that is supposed to guide the customer to large profits,[1] improperly managed "managed accounts",[2] false advertising,[3] Ponzi schemes and outright fraud.[4] It also refers to any retail forex broker who indicates that trading foreign exchange is a low risk, high profit investment.[5]

The CFTC lists 9 warning signs for foreign exchange trading fraud:[5]
1. Stay away from opportunities that seem too good to be true Always remember that there is no such thing as a "free lunch." Be especially cautious if you have acquired a large sum of cash recently and are looking for a safe investment vehicle. In particular, retirees with access to their retirement funds may be attractive targets for fraudulent operators. Getting your money back once it is gone can be difficult or impossible.

2. Avoid any company that predicts or guarantees large profits Be extremely wary of companies that guarantee profits, or that tout extremely high performance. In many cases, those claims are false. The following are examples of statements that either are or most likely are fraudulent: "Whether the market moves up or down, in the currency market you will make a profit." "Make $1000 per week, every week" "We are out-performing domestic investments." "The main advantage of the forex markets is that there is no bear market." "We guarantee you will make at least a 30-40% rate of return within two months."

3. Stay Away From Companies That Promise Little or No Financial Risk Be suspicious of companies that downplay risks or state that written risk disclosure statements are routine formalities imposed by the government. The currency futures and options markets are volatile and contain substantial risks for unsophisticated customers. The currency futures and options markets are not the place to put any funds that you cannot afford to lose. For example, retirement funds should not be used for currency trading. g. You can lose most or all of those funds very quickly trading foreign currency futures or options contracts. Therefore, beware of companies that make the following types of statements:
"With a $10,000 deposit, the maximum you can lose is $200 to $250 per day." "We promise to recover any losses you have." "Your investment is secure."

4. Don't Trade on Margin Unless You Understand What It Means Margin trading can make you responsible for losses that greatly exceed the dollar amount you deposited. Many currency traders ask customers to give them money, which they sometimes refer to as "margin," often sums in the range of $1,000 to $5,000. However, those amounts, which are relatively small in the currency markets, actually control far larger dollar amounts of trading, a fact that often is poorly explained to customers. Don't trade on margin unless you fully understand what you are doing and are prepared to accept losses that exceed the margin amounts you paid.

5. Question Firms That Claim To Trade in the "Interbank Market" Be wary of firms that claim that you can or should trade in the "interbank market," or that they will do so on your behalf. Unregulated, fraudulent currency trading firms often tell retail customers that their funds are traded in the "interbank market," where good prices can be obtained. Firms that trade currencies in the interbank market, however, are most likely to be banks, investment banks and large corporations, since the term "interbank market" refers simply to a loose network of currency transactions negotiated between financial institutions and other large companies.

6. Be Wary of Sending or Transferring Cash on the Internet, By Mail or Otherwise Be especially alert to the dangers of trading on-line; it is very easy to transfer funds on-line, but often can be impossible to get a refund. It costs an Internet advertiser just pennies per day to reach a potential audience of millions of persons, and phony currency trading firms have seized upon the Internet as an inexpensive and effective way of reaching a large pool of potential customers. Companies offering currency trading on-line will usually be located in different legal jurisdictions to you. Even if they display an address or any other information identifying their nationality on their Web site it may be false. Be aware that if you transfer funds to foreign firms it may be very difficult or impossible to recover your funds.

7. Currency Scams Often Target Members of Ethnic Minorities Some currency trading scams target potential customers in ethnic communities, particularly persons in the Russian, Chinese and Indian immigrant communities, through advertisements in ethnic newspapers and television "infomercials." Sometimes those advertisements offer so-called "job opportunities" for "account executives" to trade foreign currencies. Be aware that "account executives" that are hired might be expected to use their own money for currency trading, as well as to recruit their family and friends to do likewise. What appears to be a promising job opportunity often is another way many of these companies lure customers into parting with their cash.

8. Be Sure You Get the Company's Performance Track Record Get as much information as possible about the firm's or individual's performance record on behalf of other clients. You should be aware, however, that It may be difficult or impossible to do so, or to verify the information you receive. While firms and individuals are not required to provide this information, you should be wary of any person who is not willing to do so or who provides you with incomplete information. However, keep in mind, even if you do receive a glossy brochure or sophisticated-looking charts, that the information they contain might be false.

9. Don't Deal With Anyone Who Won't Give You His Background Plan to do a lot of checking of any information you receive to be sure that the company is and does exactly what it says. Get the background of the persons running or promoting the company, if possible. Do not rely solely on oral statements or promises from the firm's employees. Ask for all information in written form. If you cannot satisfy yourself that the persons with whom you are dealing are completely legitimate and above-board, the wisest course of action is to avoid trading foreign currencies through those companies.

Yeah but you know there is no fraud with HOT NAKED BABES!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom