Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
My observation is that SSA is not all that competent. I spent several months trying to get my back-benefits (the months between the start date of benefits and the actual day you get a check). I finally got it, but it took lots of phone calls and visits to the local SSA office.
Intresting. I have found SS very competent via phone interview and in person interviews and the associated processing of the applications. I wonder if it has anything to do with the State one resides in. I live in a small state, where I think applications are handled in a more timely manner.

Golden sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Intresting. I have found SS very competent via phone interview and in person interviews and the associated processing of the applications. I wonder if it has anything to do with the State one resides in. I live in a small state, where I think applications are handled in a more timely manner.
It might be regional.

I had very competent, pleasant, and efficient interactions with SS. Since I applied online, I dealt with an SS lady in Seattle when applying for divorced spousal SS at age 66. When I changed to my own SS at age 70, I dealt with another very nice SS lady in Chicago. Both were just terrific, competent, and very helpful.

I have never been to my local SS office, because I have heard it is a miserable experience.

100% retired since 2009 and never plan to work for anybody ever again, paid or not. Retirement funded by Social Security, mini-pension, and investments (AA 45:55, mostly Vanguard). Debt free with no mortgage and over-the-moon happy to be retired.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My state is Hawaii, very small. When I was interviewed, the person I spoke with was in California. But when I had to deal with the missing back-payments, it shifted to my local office for some reason.
TwoByFour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #44

I guess my opinion of the folks at SS has changed significantly. When I was in college in the ‘70s I was eligible for a dependent benefit except for the summer months when my summer job earnings were too high. The 2x per year starting and stopping of benefits was a royal PITA. I always got one or more extra checks that I had to return and they were always late restarting my benefit in the fall. It taught me to NEVER rely solely on SS. They claimed I had cashed a check which I had returned and pestered me for years and years. I appealed and filed all sorts of paperwork, visited local offices etc to no avail. Finally 3 yrs ago they confiscated a portion of my tax refund to recover their “loss”. I was relieved. Only talking about $200 here. No penalties, interest or fines either. Fast forward to today. I get a letter directing me to call about a refund. I call the office in Phila, call goes right through, and a friendly Civil Servant informs me that Congress has ruled that it was illegal for them to confiscate my refund so they are going to send me a check if I sign acknowledgement that the debt is still owed. I tell him I do not acknowledge the debt and will not sign. He says “OK, I’ll grant a waiver”. Just. Like. That.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #45

I will post my outcome (probably not until after that first check in December). I wasn't posting to complain about the local SSA but to share the things that happen during restricted application. In fact, someone from SSA called me later in the day to reassure me that they were not finished and I would not see $0.00 in the result when they were finished. So I'm doing what "Golden sunsets" suggested and waiting it out (but it's hard).

I couldn't find anyone else in this exact situation doing a Google search so I decided to create a record here in case someone else that reads this forum does have the same thing happen on their web account at SSA.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I will post my outcome (probably not until after that first check in December). I wasn't posting to complain about the local SSA but to share the things that happen during restricted application. In fact, someone from SSA called me later in the day to reassure me that they were not finished and I would not see $0.00 in the result when they were finished. So I'm doing what "Golden sunsets" suggested and waiting it out (but it's hard).

I couldn't find anyone else in this exact situation doing a Google search so I decided to create a record here in case someone else that reads this forum does have the same thing happen on their web account at SSA.

Tadpole; Is November the first month for which you are to receive the first check as a 70 year old(getting it sometime in December)?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #47

Yes, they consider my 1 Dec birthday to be November so November is my 1st month of age 70 benefits. The check comes in December. This is an area I kinda resent because the local office says they know how it works but keeps saying I applied too early since my first check comes in December. No one seems to remember (Until I remind them) that I am a November baby for SS purposes. But, never-the-less, they keep saying that I applied too early when I didn't. The other day the fact that we were in November didn't seem to change their feeling that I was expecting a final decision too early.

That did bother me but what can I do but wait and see? So you are right, I am, technically, on my own SS number as of November not December even if the local office seems to forget how to handle a 1st of the month baby.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #48

Quote:
Yes, they consider my 1 Dec birthday to be November so November is my 1st month of age 70 benefits. The check comes in December. This is an area I kinda resent because the local office says they know how it works but keeps saying I applied too early since my first check comes in December. No one seems to remember (Until I remind them) that I am a November baby for SS purposes. But, never-the-less, they keep saying that I applied too early when I didn't. The other day the fact that we were in November didn't seem to change their feeling that I was expecting a final decision too early.

That did bother me but what can I do but wait and see? So you are right, I am, technically, on my own SS number as of November not December even if the local office seems to forget how to handle a 1st of the month baby.
Ha. Well you and I were born on the exact same day. 12-1-1948. I applied on 8-10, a little less than the 3 months that is recommended. Do you receive your current check on the second Wednesday of every month as I do? My husband's bday is also on the 1st, so I have always gotten my spousal check on the second Wednesday, but I don't know if that is because they look at my husband's bday or my bday. I am thinking that once the October payment is deposited, on November 14th, the system should update to show the dollar amount of the next payment due for the month of November. If by that time the system does not show your updated amount, or if your benefit verification letter is not updated to show the amount you expect, then I would be at the SSA office the next morning, bright and early.

The phone rep from my local office, was well aware of the month for which a payment is due for those born on the 1st of the month.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
That's why my application was filed the first week I was eligible to file. Plenty of time for the wheels to turn before that first check was due.

Today I got the letter explaining how the Part B premium will be handled. The letter stated the payment in December will be for November's benefit with the December Part B premium subtracted. Then it went on to say future payments would be the same dollar amount. No they won't. We get a raise starting in January. When that raise kicks in, it will be the compounded amount of the benefit less the 2019 Part B premium. Sigh.
Sigh, well I'm sure you will get notification of your new raised amount along with everyone else. No one is ever happy, you got the result you wanted, they have taken care of your Part B payment and now you want to nitpick the language they used to explain everything. In January your payment will be the same benefit number plus your raise.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Ha. Well you and I were born on the exact same day. 12-1-1948. I applied on 8-10, a little less than the 3 months that is recommended. Do you receive your current check on the second Wednesday of every month as I do? My husband's bday is also on the 1st, so I have always gotten my spousal check on the second Wednesday, but I don't know if that is because they look at my husband's bday or my bday. I am thinking that once the October payment is deposited, on November 14th, the system should update to show the dollar amount of the next payment due for the month of November. If by that time the system does not show your updated amount, or if your benefit verification letter is not updated to show the amount you expect, then I would be at the SSA office the next morning, bright and early.

The phone rep from my local office, was well aware of the month for which a payment is due for those born on the 1st of the month.

When I called for an appointment some time in August, they said I was too early but they would make me an appointment for September 17. I asked if a 1 Dec person should count back from November but she didn't seem to understand why I asked that so I let it drop as a mute point since it was September.

Yes, both me and my husband are second Wednesday children for purposes of checks. I agree that it should be updated after the October check comes in November but the confusion over my birthday and when processing should be completed may mess that up. I don't know. I am checking often to see if anything changes.

Your moral support has been very helpful for me. Thank you.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I was the victim of Social Security fraud (someone else started getting my social security payments--SS could never explain to me how someone was able to get into my SS account to change where payments were being sent)) so I had to deal many times with Social Security both at my local office and on phone to the national office and many times on the phone to Medicare. It was a terrible, frustrating experience. I found that almost everyone I talked to was incompetent including the supervisors. It took them many months to get my social security payments started again and they cancelled my medicare coverage even though I was told it would not be cancelled. The only way I ever got it all straightened out was to call my Congressman's office. Once I called my Congressman it was all straightened out in a matter of days. So if anyone is having trouble with Social Security I suggest you call your Congressman.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:15 PM   #52

Quote:
Well I called to arrange to come off restricted application spousal benefits and go to my age 70 benefits. It may not be going as smoothly as described by others; I cannot tell. After my phone call they sent a letter confirming the appointment at the local office and telling me what to bring to fill out the retirement benefit application. My appointment is Sept.19. About a week after that appointment confirmation I got another letter informing me that the local office has determined that I am not eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI, not SS). SSI never even came up during the phone conversation. How could I have applied for it? Do they check to see if you are eligible for SS and SSI when you apply for one or the other? There was nothing about cancelling my appointment so I guess the appointment is still scheduled (I hope). Meanwhile I am hoping there hasn't been a misunderstanding about my purpose for making the appointment.

Does everyone get a letter denying them SSI when they apply for SS? I may have brought this on myself because the woman on the phone started questioning me about my other finances and I told her I just wanted the appointment and my finances wouldn't affect my Social Security benefit. I now realize that she might be tasked to check people on their finances to see if they qualify for benefits on top of their SS. The way she put it I thought she was just looking for employment income that would make me subject to WEP. If so, once again my angst against giving strangers on the phone who might be a call center too much personal information may have caused all my problems.
Tadpole; I was just rereading this thread and noticed this comment. I wish I had seen this at the time you posted this. I was away for a couple of weeks during the period that you posted this. The rep I dealt with by phone on 8-10 explained the whole SSI questioning and told me about the denial letter I would receive and to ignore it. I can see that I benefited from having an experienced rep. I wish you had the same experience. But I think you will still have the results you expect “on time”.��
Golden sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Sigh, well I'm sure you will get notification of your new raised amount along with everyone else. No one is ever happy, you got the result you wanted, they have taken care of your Part B payment and now you want to nitpick the language they used to explain everything. In January your payment will be the same benefit number plus your raise.
They made the exact statement that future payments would be $xxxx, the same $xxxx as the first payment after the Part B is deducted. For someone that relies on Social Security and is expecting a raise in January, that could be confusing and upsetting. Better to program the computer to have the letter accurately describe what will happen than to get a lot of phone calls and office visits from worried recipients.
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM   #54

I just wanted to report to Tadpole that I received the written Statement confirming the change in my benefits in the mail yesterday. If you haven't also received your Statement, be on the lookout for it any day. And no surprises in my Statement. I continue to be very satisfied with SSA's handling of my claim.
Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM   #55

Quote:
I just wanted to report to Tadpole that I received the written Statement confirming the change in my benefits in the mail yesterday. If you haven't also received your Statement, be on the lookout for it any day. And no surprises in my Statement. I continue to be very satisfied with SSA's handling of my claim.
Thanks! No change yet on my end. I hope you are right. I'm just holding tight to see what happens when my last spousal check is issued Wednesday.