Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2019, 08:53 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
What I hated worst about Sundays was travel.

On average about once per month, I had to fly out to be somewhere Monday morning. (I know many have / had much heavier travel schedules!)

Every Sunday afternoon / evening I don't spend in an airport is heavenly.

Almost always left on Sunday for Americas or Europe. Asia? Saturday!

I traveled about 40 weeks each year. Some trips were 2-4 weeks duration. While I dreaded the airport, going to office was worse (I was almost a stranger there.)**

* * Cube often relocated by surprise. Docking station, monitor and office supplies routinely purloined. Not aware that entire department relocated to a different building on campus. Access badge inactivated by security due to non-usage.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

It took me 12 month to get used to this retirement life physically and mentally, now I am 16 month into it, it starting to sinking in.
On the fly back from Hawaii vacation last Sunday, I realized that I didn't have those dread feelings that I need to go back to work next day, I could glide into relaxation and continuing vacation mode.
Last night, me and spouse went for a walk. Spouse was surprised that I went for a walk on Sunday evening, actually I was surprised too.
It was a good feeling
I am slowly but surely get used to this retirement life
Eucerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love not worrying about the clock or getting to sleep on Sunday nights anymore.
I haven't watched 60 minutes in a long time, but the sound of that clock never leaves your head once its there!!

Dh and I went to local Costco yesterday to meet DD and SIL to purchase things/gifts for upcoming baby. Loved the reason for the shopping spree, but not the crowds. DH commented while we were getting back in the car, "This is why we don't leave the house on weekends"
Old 08-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
That clock would inspire dread in me. NO MORE!!
Yeah same here! I hated it! I see now I was not the only one.

But I had stopped watching 60 minutes before we retired, so at least I didn't have to hear the dreaded clock anymore.

When we were flying back from our first "vacation" after retiring, it felt so strange that I wasn't going back to work the next day or two. I had to keep reminding myself of it. It was really hard to believe.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I felt the same way for about a year or so after I retired. Now, after 9+ years, I have a hard time remembering what day it even is anymore.......they're all equally awesome

Exactly!!! It’s only been 4 yrs for me but Sunday Night Terror Syndrome played a big part in me going off the payroll at 59.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post

* * Cube often relocated by surprise. Docking station, monitor and office supplies routinely purloined. Not aware that entire department relocated to a different building on campus. Access badge inactivated by security due to non-usage.
This cracked me up. One time I lost a whole office due to a long work trip. I have some years left to go but until I'm done I lock my door when I go out of town.
upupandaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #47

Sunday night 6 pm EST is my favorite time of the week, as the Futures markets begin their trading for the week!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sundays are now Go-Go days, fun from start to finish as we try and squeeze in as many weekend-type activities in as we can. Mondays, conversely, we relish as recovery time from the weekend!
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Imagining a future where everyday is Saturday. Hopefully soon.
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #50

Yep, this is something I hadn't expected. I didn't know that my blood pressure was going up on Sunday nights until after I retired and discovered that it wasn't going up anymore.

I was talking to a newer retiree recently and he brought up the same thing.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I love this thread!!!

Regarding Sunday nights; near the end of my pre-FIRE existence I actually developed this strange affection for Monday mornings, as it let me cross one more week off my countdown schedule.

It makes me laugh when the "kids" over on Bogleheads post comments suggesting that FIRE is vastly overrated and that people in our situations will be miserable and bored. Reviewing this thread, I'm just not seeing it!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

And as a former teacher I can say with 100% honesty, how wonderful it is to see all the Back To School signs and sales and not care one little bit.
I left teaching for another field over 35 years ago, but I still remember driving one warm September day (after resigning), with the window down and noticing how perfect the weather was. "Why have I always hated September-it's a beautiful month" I wondered.....then I figured it out....
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

See my tag line.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
I have a friend who calls retirement, "the Friday night of life," when every night we go to bed and the next day is Saturday!

I like this one!! Can't wait til I'm retired to live by this.
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREchief View Post
I love this thread!!!

Regarding Sunday nights; near the end of my pre-FIRE existence I actually developed this strange affection for Monday mornings, as it let me cross one more week off my countdown schedule.

It makes me laugh when the "kids" over on Bogleheads post comments suggesting that FIRE is vastly overrated and that people in our situations will be miserable and bored. Reviewing this thread, I'm just not seeing it!

Ha I hear you...I remember the last couple of weeks working I kind of relished the experience of the whole "going to work" morning routine knowing it was ending soon...I do regret not making a little video of when I walked out of office.....I swear I was walking on air and just giggling to myself....one of the best days of my life ....
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My absolute best time of the week? Monday morning about 6! The dog has been walked and fed. We are both hanging on the deck while I drink coffee and watch the serfs head to the fields.
We walk the dog later in the morning, and only DW drinks coffee (tea for me), but +1 on the rest!
Old 08-15-2019, 06:07 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I was fortunate enough to have a "Non-9-to-5-Monday-Friday" J.O.B. for 30 some years.

It is only the last 3 years of retirement that has given any real "meaning" to the days of the week.

So far, I like ALL of them....

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I just want to say that out loud as I know this forum is a safe place to do it. I have a couple of friends who today expressed high anxiety about their week work ahead. Man, I'm 31 months in and my adoration for Sunday nights and Monday mornings continues to grow. I'm so so grateful and thankful that I created a situation where this is possible at a young age ( I turned 53 yesterday).
This. The funny thing is that almost all friends/ family who still work made double or more the $ than I did, and continue to chase the dollars to fund their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I have a hard time remembering what day it even is anymore.......they're all equally awesome
Me too- and it has been just shy of 3 yrs.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
What I hated worst about Sundays was travel.

On average about once per month, I had to fly out to be somewhere Monday morning. (I know many have / had much heavier travel schedules!)

Every Sunday afternoon / evening I don't spend in an airport is heavenly.
I did the same amount of travel, which generally blew an entire week including half of 2 weekends. I still avoid air travel on a Friday or a Sunday. Their are still certain airports I will not go through, and certain airlines I will not fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
In my later years, email catchup was expected on Sunday. This way, you could do "real work" on Monday.

Oh it is nice to be free.
Yep. And it was only my last 2 years that I refused to take the laptop or welcome phone calls while on vacation or on weekends. We hike, and on purpose selected place remote enough that wifi & cell svc. were spotty at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Also one of the reasons we travel very little in retirement.
We still take at least 2 9+ day vacas & 3-4 long weekenders, but that is plenty & I've no desire at all to go back over the pond yet- maybe at some point.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I had to talk my DH into retiring early. After a few months he said, "This is amazing - I should have done this decades earlier!" (he was 56 when he retired, he couldn't have retired any earlier, LOL).

He now refers to himself as "gainfully unemployed."
zippy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:51 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

My BIL gave me a day of the week clock for my retirement. Five years in, I have to look at it often. 😀
HGTVFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote