Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
I know what you mean. I just retired at the end of June and every Sunday evening since has been wonderful instead of dreadful.
I retired June 28th! What's today? Oh right, it's Monday.
Kabowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 06:07 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I volunteer on Monday mornings, and I 5% complain about that
Old 08-12-2019, 06:10 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm a little numbed to the Sunday effect after 8 years, but I still like seeing most resort guests packing up to go back to work, and leave the resort quieter for the few of us full-timers up here. I'm away from most of the resort action but the house next door is now on the rental program and usually guests leave late Sunday morning, which is nice. Yes, I still look forward to Sunday afternoons and evenings.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

And as a former teacher I can say with 100% honesty, how wonderful it is to see all the Back To School signs and sales and not care one little bit.
I just saw a FB post from a current teacher, “the entire month of August is like Sunday night to teachers”. (It’s now Monday morning and I’m lounging around drinking coffee and reading)
ceciledian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
What I hated worst about Sundays was travel.

On average about once per month, I had to fly out to be somewhere Monday morning. (I know many have / had much heavier travel schedules!)

Every Sunday afternoon / evening I don't spend in an airport is heavenly.
My blood pressure just went up a bit reading this. I didn't travel much, but when I did, it was to ruin a Sunday so we could have an early start on Monday.

In my later years, email catchup was expected on Sunday. This way, you could do "real work" on Monday.

Oh it is nice to be free.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

Oh it is nice to be free.

Exactly....and I never knew how not free I was until ER
love all these comments
enjoy your Monday morning!
FREE866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #27

Yesterday evening (Sunday), I was able to take advantage of the sinking sun and the subsiding temperatures to put in some work on getting my winter vegetable garden ready. Again, this would never have happened while I was working. Sunday evenings were for pulling together preparations for Monday morning!

**PS - I didn't watch 60 minutes, but I have been struck at how many on this forum heard that ticking clock as the guillotine to the weekend.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Agree. For a while, I felt weird on Sunday nights. Now, every day is pretty much the same. Still kind dislike garbage day because I get up early to put my garbage out versus putting it out the night before. But hey, that’s just one day where I have to get up early and it’s for 15 minutes, not 8 hours or worse including traffic. Bring on Monday! I’ll be sleeping in.
+2. It took me a while to NOT be a little anxious on Sunday nights. It was sort of automatic, subconscious even when there was nothing particularly pressing about the Monday or week ahead. I’d forgotten that, thanks for the pleasant reminder.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
That ticking clock Sunday nights on 60 Minutes no longer sounds like a countdown to me.
That clock would inspire dread in me. NO MORE!!
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+2. It took me a while to NOT be a little anxious on Sunday nights. It was sort of automatic, subconscious even when there was nothing particularly pressing about the Monday or week ahead. I’d forgotten that, thanks for the pleasant reminder.

Yep. Didn't matter what was on schedule for the week. Trying to remember if Sunday nights were more gut wrenching than Monday mornings. Close call.
FREE866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
I have a friend who calls retirement, "the Friday night of life," when every night we go to bed and the next day is Saturday!
Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciledian View Post
I just saw a FB post from a current teacher, “the entire month of August is like Sunday night to teachers”. (It’s now Monday morning and I’m lounging around drinking coffee and reading)

I can actually relate to that, a bit. I'm not a teacher, and the concept of "summer vacation" really hasn't meant much to me since I graduated college and started w*rking full time. But, I still get a bit excited in the spring when the days get longer and warmer, and by mid-May, which is when final exams usually were during college, some of those old feelings of excitement and freedom would stir up a bit.

I think my concept of time is a bit warped, though. For some reason, to me the part that feels like "Summer" is maybe late May through perhaps the first two weekends in July. There's Independence Day, and then a big classic car show I always go to that's usually the second weekend in July. But then, the rest of July and August, just seem to go by in a blur...even though that's still roughly half of what you'd consider "summer vacation" by college standards, and about 2/3 of it, by elementary/high school standards!

When I retire, I'm really looking forward to the whole "Sunday blah" thing to be done with, but I wonder if the whole "Summer vacation" mentality will ever go away. When you're retired, the whole year should feel like Summer vacation! But, I think the whole idea of the seasons changing, weather getting cooler, daylight getting shorter, etc will always keep that particular rhythm with me. Plus, now I have a new routine that sort of ends the "summer vacation" vibe...closing up the pool in the off season.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 AM   #33
gone traveling

I still work, but still enjoy Sunday nights...usually having pizza with the family while drinking a beer, or two (with frosted mug), and watching football. I guess I don't get anxious about my job, so it isn't so bad.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #34

The Sunday blues, that bottomless sadness experienced by many is exactly what drove me to ER 17 years ago. I absolutely hated that feeling and sure enough ER was the cure.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #35

Oh, I have taken full advantage of Sunday night which used to be a nightmare for me. Talk about "High Anxiety"!

Last night met a buddy that was in town. I still have the reaction of "not on Sunday" then I come to my senses. Took our time with dinner and beer. It was so nice.

The other part is weekday get together's. Tonight we're having a dinner party. Four out of six are retired or not working. Starting a bit early due to those having to work the next day. Once a quarter three of us couples get together and have a late night outing. We have a ball not worrying about going to work the next day.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
What I hated worst about Sundays was travel.

On average about once per month, I had to fly out to be somewhere Monday morning. (I know many have / had much heavier travel schedules!)

Every Sunday afternoon / evening I don't spend in an airport is heavenly.
This was it for me. I traveled a ton at the end of my career and got so sick of Sunday or Monday morning flights. I can't even describe the relief of not having to do that anymore.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
That clock would inspire dread in me. NO MORE!!

It took me a couple years to get over the dread of the 60 Minutes Clock. Now it just reminds me that the next day I can do yard work without a lot of distractions from neighbors or go to a big box store without dealing with parents who think it's cute to let their kid push the shopping cart around a crowded store.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #38

Beyond the fact I'm underpaid, and underappreciated It's not too bad. I never really have to think too hard about monday's (for now). There have been weeks though.

I feel since I am fairly comfortable (4yrs) at gig and job, not much can surprise me. Sure things change but not that much really, for better or worse.

I feel I am a cog in a large wheel, but hey I have lunch, some challenges to solve, and my kids busy learning while I produce what needs to be done to get them the best lives they can have.

Terrible word, that four letter w*rk! I will unfortunately have to spend around 60% of the next 12 years showing up and paying into SSI.

2688 more w*rkdays but whose counting.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #39

I'm 3 years and a few months into this retirement gig. I have had a place on a lake for 15 years, which is now my home. Back in my w*rking life I would start thinking about heading home sometime during the mid-afternoon on Sunday. Now I watch the sun set on the lake, watch the boats cruising around, many heading for their slips so the owners can head back for the w*rk week...I sigh a big "ahhhhh".
Just last night I was appreciating my good fortune, as I sipped a cold G&T.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
This was it for me. I traveled a ton at the end of my career and got so sick of Sunday or Monday morning flights. I can't even describe the relief of not having to do that anymore.
Same here; last 2-3 years was almost 100% travel. Lived in Maryland and all my work was in the Midwest and Europe. Never tired of what the job was but the travel just killed it. Also one of the reasons we travel very little in retirement.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote