Join Early Retirement Today

Sunday nights are amazing
Old 08-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sunday nights are amazing

I just want to say that out loud as I know this forum is a safe place to do it. I have a couple of friends who today expressed high anxiety about their week work ahead. Man, I'm 31 months in and my adoration for Sunday nights and Monday mornings continues to grow. I'm so so grateful and thankful that I created a situation where this is possible at a young age ( I turned 53 yesterday).
FREE866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #2

I know what you mean. I just retired at the end of June and every Sunday evening since has been wonderful instead of dreadful.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:43 PM   #3

My absolute best time of the week? Monday morning about 6! The dog has been walked and fed. We are both hanging on the deck while I drink coffee and watch the serfs head to the fields.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I just want to say that out loud as I know this forum is a safe place to do it. I have a couple of friends who today expressed high anxiety about their week work ahead. Man, I'm 31 months in and my adoration for Sunday nights and Monday mornings continues to grow. I'm so so grateful and thankful that I created a situation where this is possible at a young age ( I turned 53 yesterday).
+1

And as a former teacher I can say with 100% honesty, how wonderful it is to see all the Back To School signs and sales and not care one little bit.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #5

Agree. For a while, I felt weird on Sunday nights. Now, every day is pretty much the same. Still kind dislike garbage day because I get up early to put my garbage out versus putting it out the night before. But hey, that’s just one day where I have to get up early and it’s for 15 minutes, not 8 hours or worse including traffic. Bring on Monday! I’ll be sleeping in.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Man, I'm 31 months in and my adoration for Sunday nights and Monday mornings continues to grow.

I felt the same way for about a year or so after I retired. Now, after 9+ years, I have a hard time remembering what day it even is anymore.......they're all equally awesome
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I felt the same way for about a year or so after I retired. Now, after 9+ years, I have a hard time remembering what day it even is anymore.......they're all equally awesome
+100
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I always look at my pill container to confirm the day of the week.

You know you are retired when you go to a big box store on Saturday and say to your self. What am I doing here today? Or go out to dinner on a Friday.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha! I’m like Jerry. Retired in January and really took about 5 months before that Sunday afternoon/evening sadness and depression stopped and my brain and emotions realized that after 40 years I’m done with that!

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m 49 months in and love Sunday nights too. During the week the two most common questions I ask myself about days of the week are “What day is it?” And “Is tomorrow Friday?” And when tomorrow is Friday I’m always incredulous like “how did the week get by so fast?”
Old 08-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Relaxing and watching a movie. We'd NEVER do that while working. Gotta get a head start on email, ya know.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:12 PM   #12

Love Sunday! It's means that tomorrow is Monday and crowds of yahoos wii depart our favorite lake. Peace and quiet. Ahhhh...
Old 08-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
You know you are retired when you go to a big box store on Saturday and say to your self. What am I doing here today? Or go out to dinner on a Friday.

Noooooo...! Are yo crazy

Made my pulse race for a minute!
Old 08-11-2019, 08:48 PM   #14

Last week I was sitting at the kitchen table half reading, half dozing when it dawned on me that I did not know what day of the week it was.

After a few moments, it came to me. But, what a great feeling to be that disconnected from the daily grind!
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
We were insane this weekend and went to the hairdresser on Saturday.

You'd think we'd know better. Sure enough it was insane packed! Fortunately I called ahead put on the list, but was told to come in an hour and 20 mins. When we arrived they were the busiest I'd ever seen!

DH never knows what day it is!

On Sunday evenings I now think - yoga class tomorrow morning!
Old 08-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #16

I have 72 Sunday nights (including tonight) before I can join the rest of you in celebrating. I'm enjoying counting them down.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

25 months in and still loving Sunday night.
Just came back from a dinner at a friends' house, where we enjoyed the company with one other couple for 5 hours.
Would not that while working....
Old 08-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #18

Quote:
first, happy birthday! i turned 69 yesterday (aug 10).

second, when i was working i always had trouble falling asleep on sunday nights. that carried over for a while after FIRE. these days i usually can fall asleep pretty quickly.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:40 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

What I hated worst about Sundays was travel.

On average about once per month, I had to fly out to be somewhere Monday morning. (I know many have / had much heavier travel schedules!)

Every Sunday afternoon / evening I don't spend in an airport is heavenly.
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:53 AM   #20

That ticking clock Sunday nights on 60 Minutes no longer sounds like a countdown to me.