Twice a week 18 19.78%
Three time a week 12 13.19%
More than three times a week 31 34.07%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Super size me
Old 09-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Donzo, what is your favorite restaurant in Old Town San Diego We will be down that way in a few weeks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tio z
I wanted to see in this group if people ate out and yet were able to control what they ate.* Obviously as a group we do.* Yet as a nation doesn't seem that we are able to.
Here's the thing with fast food that makes it irresistible to the American Public:
  • It's CHEAP - it's really hard to create your own healthy meal and do so cheaper. Cheap food tends to be unhealthy - just the way it is.
  • It's CONVENIENT - Americans are so strapped for time it's ridiculous. This is a cultural problem - for some reason we always have to do so much all the time nowadays.
  • It Tastes Good - well it doesn't to me. But I believe that people "get addicted" to certain foods - and certainly if they eat them often enough they get "cravings" for them and I think the fatty, over-sugared, over-salted, high-processed-carb foods that are served in these places get people to crave these foods over time. And I think many Americans think fast food tastes really good - they must, or else they wouldn't patronize these places so readily. We all know how easily kids get "addicted" to places like McDonalds.

Eating healthy takes a certain amount of effort and some discipline too if you are easily attracted to unhealthy choices. It's just so much easier to say "chuck it" and swing by the local drive through and pick up something that will quickly sate the appetite.

Audrey

Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger
Donzo,* what is your favorite restaurant in Old Town San Diego* We will be down that way in a few weeks.*
No Rubio's in Hawaii. I can practically taste their burritos now...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Here's the thing with fast food that makes it irresistible to the American Public:
  • It's CHEAP - it's really hard to create your own healthy meal and do so cheaper. Cheap food tends to be unhealthy - just the way it is.
  • It's CONVENIENT - Americans are so strapped for time it's ridiculous. This is a cultural problem - for some reason we always have to do so much all the time nowadays.
  • It Tastes Good - well it doesn't to me. But I believe that people "get addicted" to certain foods - and certainly if they eat them often enough they get "cravings" for them and I think the fatty, over-sugared, over-salted, high-processed-carb foods that are served in these places get people to crave these foods over time. And I think many Americans think fast food tastes really good - they must, or else they wouldn't patronize these places so readily. We all know how easily kids get "addicted" to places like McDonalds.

Eating healthy takes a certain amount of effort and some discipline too if you are easily attracted to unhealthy choices. It's just so much easier to say "chuck it" and swing by the local drive through and pick up something that will quickly sate the appetite.

Audrey
Many years ago my now EX had high blood pressure. He had imitated his father in always heavily salting everything. He went cold turkey on added salt, couldn't taste anything for several days, then started appreciating the real and subtle taste of food.

He went through the same thing with sugar several years previous.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:10 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, how's his blood pressure. And, if better, was it remedied without pills?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I was working, I'd eat out every lunch (as would DW) and DW and I would go out at least twice during the week, or weekend together for evening meals. But never fast food restaurants except for an occasional Wendy's or Subway/Quiznos.

Now that we are retired, we eat out 1-2 times a week. Depends on what we are doing or where we are. Again, we do not frequent fast food restaurants. We never have desserts with any of our meals unless we are with a group.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #27

What I hate even more than the food in fast food places is the lousy service. This problem is especially noticeable here locally. We almost never eat fast food here except for the smarter diet choices at the late night Subway at the hospital when I work. When we travel and do happen to visit a fast food restaurant we are nearly always impressed with the almost acceptable level of service. We do eat out at real restaurants several times a week.
jc
Old 09-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #28

Hey Ginger,

Casa D Banadini - it is right in old town. Sit in the courtyard, there are fountains, mariachi and killer margaritas.....and the foods good too!
Plan at least a couple hours in old town - there is alot to see and do.

Have fun!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the restaurant tip. We will check it out. We haven't been down to San Diego in a few years.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

My sister was a food scientist. She told me that research has proved that people are genetically wired to crave two things: fat and sugar. The difference is, this isn't the "hunting and gathering" society of 10,000 years ago.

We have grown addicted to salt, because it is added to a TON of things we eat, so our bodies learn to crave it. Originally, salt was used to keep meat from spoiling before refrigeration, and has been used in drying and curing of meats for hundreds of years.

Obviously the food industry has figured out how to attack the "weaknesses" of us craving sugar and fat.

What I am most angry about is that food companies CAN make healthy products and make a profit doing it, but until the PUBLIC makes them, will not do so. My sister said you could remove all the trans fat, hydrogenated, fatty stuff from foods and they would be a lot more healthy.........besides, the unhealthy stuff put into foods to make them last longer is incredibly cheap to make.............keeping margins high for the food companies...................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I just had two stents put in...

and had been on a diabetic diet for 4 years...

now am trying to reduce sodium (salt) intake..

and finding it difficult.* Hardly anything is low sodium.* Restaurant and or grocery store bought.

Sugar and carbs are easy to avoid.* Not so with sodium.*

Old 09-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
My sister was a food scientist.* She told me that research has proved that people are genetically wired to crave two things:* fat and sugar.* The difference is, this isn't the "hunting and gathering" society of 10,000 years ago.*

We have grown addicted to salt, because it is added to a TON of things we eat, so our bodies learn to crave it.* Originally, salt was used to keep meat from spoiling before refrigeration, and has been used in drying and curing of meats for hundreds of years.

Obviously the food industry has figured out how to attack the "weaknesses" of us craving sugar and fat.*

What I am most angry about is that food companies CAN make healthy products and make a profit doing it, but until the PUBLIC makes them, will not do so.* My sister said you could remove all the trans fat, hydrogenated, fatty stuff from foods and they would be a lot more healthy.........besides, the unhealthy stuff put into foods to make them last longer is incredibly cheap to make.............keeping margins high for the food companies...................
I don't quite get your point. There are thousands of companies serving the "healthy" niche. And of course there are all the foods that come to you without the intervention of any manufacturer- fruits, vegetables, nuts, meat, milk and eggs.

People don't have to be brainwashed to eat Twinkies. When there is no longer a robust consumer demand for Twinkies and Moon Pies, there will no longer be Twinkies and Moon Pies.

But don't hold your breath.

Ha