Twice a week 18 19.78%
Three time a week 12 13.19%
More than three times a week 31 34.07%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Super size me
Old 09-08-2006, 04:17 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Super size me

We just watched Super Size Me (man eats only at McDonald's for a month) and the discussion went on to how difficult it is to eat a "healthy" diet while eating out/taking out.
We eat out once or twice a week, and prepare our own food otherwise. We know people who eat out at least once a day. With the proliferation of chain restaurants, it seems that as a Nation we must be eating out on a regular basis.
How does it apply to this group?
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Super size me
Old 09-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since you did not say only evenings.. and mentioned that someone ate out once a day.... then I am over the limit...

I eat out for lunch every work day.. but then maybe 2 or 3 dinners...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched an investigate report a couple years back on what sometimes happens when your food is prepared and I get ill just thinking about not eating food I did not prepare myself.*

I have not eaten out in 2+ years.

When I was working (and before I saw that report) I ate out 10-15xs per week.*
IHateCNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Once a year or so.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Once every couple of weeks.*

Don't eat out much mostly because Greg is such a good cook.* Also, I do not like fast food.*

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #6

We eat out about 3 times per week, usually chinese, thai or mexican - lunches. I don't know how these resturants can make profit on the spread they put out for $4-5 - often there is enough for dinner left over.
Going to SanDiego next week for 6 days--can't wait to go to our favorite resturant in old town!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:15 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I eat out maybe once or twice a week in the evening. Depending on how lazy busy I am, I take breakfast and lunch to work, but otherwise I eat a few meals in the cafeteria at work...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Average of 4x/wk. Go out for lunch while at work 1-2x a week (same for DW). And maybe 1-2x on weekends.

I assumed the number was much higher, as I feel like I am constantly going out to eat. I guess I have leftovers from restaurants for subsequent meals, so that increases the perceived number of eat-out meals.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #9

Our office picks up food usually 3 days a week. Other than that I bring something or don't eat lunch.

My wife and I try to cook during the week, but we both really like to eat out. We usually go out friday and Sat night

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #10

Maybe once a month at the most.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

If you don't count lunch at the cafeteria at work, probably twice a week. Lunch at work 5 days a week, but it's pretty inexpensive and healthy, if not tasty.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:00 AM   #12

My wife & I have an agreement not to eat out more than three times a day, which we break often enough if you count Peets Coffee stops.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #13

Since I arrived in Tucson, I eat out once or twice a week. Although, I have a kitchen and make most of my simple meals but I need a change of pace every so often, so I eat a mexican meal and an "all you can eat" indian buffet. Still pretty inexpensive. My ice cream desserts one to two times a week are free until the end of september with coupons. I still have a perfect record of not eating at fast food places even when I made my 4 day trek drive across the US.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We generally eat out a couple of times a week, usually on the weekends, but it's rarely fast-food. Once a week, we go out for a nice meal, usually with wine, dessert and an after dinner drink ($$$). We also usually go to the local Chinese or Mexican restaurant or Brew Pub once a week ($). Occasionally, we just bring home a pizza and watch a movie. I suspect that we will not dine out quite as often after ER.

-Steve
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It's NOT difficult to eat healthy when you eat out. It does severely limit your choice of restaurants and menu items. But there are usually enough decent places and menu choices to fashion a reasonably healthy meal.

We do tend to make the wait staff earn their tip with many special requests - usually complied with quite happily.

We never set foot in a fast-food place - NEVER! Disgusting!

We are obviously different from the general population in this respect, because I'm always amazed at the huge numbers of fast food restaurants and they obviously have enough business to stay afloat!

Audrey
Old 09-08-2006, 02:13 PM   #16

Thanks for the replies.

The film was upsetting/provacative in that it made a connection between increasing obesity and fast food consumption.

I wanted to see in this group if people ate out and yet were able to control what they ate. Obviously as a group we do. Yet as a nation doesn't seem that we are able to.

(Note: the film pointed out that fast food and obesity is not just an American problem, but worldwide-- I don't know if this is true or not, or whether the connection between fast food and obesity is direct, but that's the point it made).
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
We never set foot in a fast-food place - NEVER!* Disgusting!
Eh, I think you're just saying that because they won't let grownups use the PlayPlace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tio z
Note: the film pointed out that fast food and obesity is not just an American problem, but worldwide-- I don't know if this is true or not, or whether the connection between fast food and obesity is direct, but that's the point it made.
America's greatest export-- McCulture.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #18

The movie, Super Size resulted in my cessation in eating fast foods. Shortly after seeing the movie, I read Fast Food Nation and never ate beef again. :P
Old 09-08-2006, 03:44 PM   #19

When traveling, I like McDonald's coffee and big breakfast. Otherwise, no fast foods.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Morgan Spurlock did a wonderful job on Supersize Me, and his TV show 30 days is similarly good, even if I don't always agree with how he treats the subjects he covers.

I eat fast good nearly everyday, but at least try to visit the healthier (less unhealthy?) places like Subway, El Pollo Loco, Chipotle (the last two are probably wishful thinking). I rarely eat at McDonald's though unless the kids insist.