Join Early Retirement Today

Superior service from Vanguard
Old 05-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Superior service from Vanguard

Just have to brag on them a bit. But first you have to listen to my story

Mrs Scrapr has Stage 4 cancer. 2nd Dx and inoperable. One tumor is on her windpipe and impacting her breathing. We had some hope that her last chance drug would work. It's an immunotherapy drug (Keytruda) that recently was approved as first line treatment. A good friend's life was saved as Keytruda was in trials. Mrs Scrapr entered hospice on Monday after 2 very bad days of difficult breathing. We have death w/Dignity law here in Oregon & have been through the protocol. She was ready to use it after her 2 bad days

At the same time we are working on getting trusts set up for each of us. Lawyers came to the house for signing Monday. I had contacted VG last Friday that this was going down. Flagship rep replied back & said he would take care of it. I'm pretty wrecked so i made a couple of mistakes docusigning the VG Trust docs. I think I filled out each Trust form 3 times. Then Mrs Scrapr's accounts were titled slightly incorrect. She spells her first name unusually. Long time ago I must have set it up wrong. The rep got that changed quickly (1 day). I'm sure if this was not a rush job that might take a week.

The time zones were a factor as we are West Coast time. He was calling me at 6:00 pm PST. Which is past my bedtime EST. Anyway he got the trust approved in 1 day. They say 5-7 days in the message. Then tonight we were on the phone and have trades to fund the Trusts at close of business on Friday.

I am just awed by his persistance in staying on this and working through the layers of bureaucracy at VG. He was dogged. Mrs Scrapr was impressed with the security. She had to jump on the line a couple times.

Thank you for listening to this. And thanks to VG

a picture of my bride in happier days!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofh8v0fyy0...29.34.jpg?dl=0
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #2

So, sorry, sounds very rough. Glad you were able to get everything worked out with VG. I've not found them to be that efficient, but I haven't had such tight time constraints.

Thoughts are with you in this very difficult time.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

I'm so sorry you're both going through this. You'll be in my prayers.

I'm a huge fan of Vanguard myself

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very sad to hear, Scrapr.

It was very good that VG could sort out the pesky paperwork on short notice. You don't need bureaucratic nonsense at a time like this. Someone went out of their way to help.

Best wishes,
Ed
Old 05-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

What a lovely picture of your sweetie. Thank you for sharing it with us!
It's such a tough time for the both of you...I am keeping you both in my prayers...
CindyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so sorry but glad that Vanguard could reduce some of your stress. It is nice to know there are exceptions to their rules. My best to you, your wife and family.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, amazing that a giant corporation can act so quickly on the personal level with such a dedicated rep staying on it! He really went to bat for you and took care of a very stressful task. Your wife is so pretty in the photo. Hoping for a miracle and peace for you both.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Your wife is lovely. I’m happy to have a photo of her as I now include you both in my prayers. I’m so happy to hear that you found a sensitive soul at Vanguard who was so willing to help you. Best of luck.
ReadySetGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My deepest sympathy to you both, and a salute to your wife's amazing courage and self-possession.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:49 AM   #10

Deepest sympathy.
I've met you both and she truly is a delightful person. So sorry this is happening.
Be strong for her.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:17 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I wish you and Mrs. Scrapr all the best. We have the both of you in our prayers.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:34 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Wow, amazing that a giant corporation can act so quickly on the personal level with such a dedicated rep staying on it! He really went to bat for you and took care of a very stressful task.
Sometimes when we remember that there are human beings on the other end of the line or other side of the screen and act accordingly, it can restore a little faith in humanity.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through this Scrapr. I'll keep you and the missus in my thoughts. Please come to us if you need anything that we can help with.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Best of luck to both of you. Tough situation....at least Vanguard made this part easier for you.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:47 AM   #14

What a lovely lady and strong willed person. Thanks for sharing the compassion of your rep at Vanguard. It gives me solace as my own wife passed 4 days ago after her 4 year battle with 3 different cancers. I have not called Vanguard yet, but your story gives me a good feeling about their service. I wish
you the best in your coming days.

VW
Old 05-17-2019, 06:23 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Scrapr and VanWinkle - Sympathies to you as you go through the toughest event married folks face. Love and strength to you both
footenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
What a lovely lady and strong willed person. Thanks for sharing the compassion of your rep at Vanguard. It gives me solace as my own wife passed 4 days ago after her 4 year battle with 3 different cancers. I have not called Vanguard yet, but your story gives me a good feeling about their service. I wish
you the best in your coming days.

VW
So sorry for your loss
Old 05-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #17

I can't imagine going through that situation and having to get some business done in the middle of it. Her picture is lovely.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
Scrapr and VanWinkle - Sympathies to you as you go through the toughest event married folks face. Love and strength to you both
+1

Thanks for taking the time to share your story, Scrapr.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #19

Prayers for you both during this time. I'm so glad BY appreciated the need for exceptions during exceptional times
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:50 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
+1

Thanks for taking the time to share your story, Scrapr.
+2

I'm sorry for what you are going through. Prayers.

If you want to make that reps day sent a note to Tim Buckley. Those stories are really appreciated by the execs and do help the individuals.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote