Supplemental Insurance to VA

runnerr

Recycles dryer sheets
Supplemental Insurance to VA

I have an insurance question. I live in Michigan and can get health benefits from the VA but I have to get to the VA. I am looking for a supplimental policey to cover accidents. Is there a catastrophic or insurance I can get of an accident where I cannot make it the 25 miles to the va facility. The government is great but I would like to cover all bases. I am 56 and could afford private coverage if I could get it. The reason for the VA treatment is service connected disability. And I figure why duplicate what I can get through the VA. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Runnerr. I am retired.

Re: Supplemental Insurance to VA

Don't know anything about whether insurance is available for emergencies, but from the VA website it looks like the VA may reimburse for emergency treatment in certain circumstances. http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/fed_prog/va_benefits/2a-ben-travel.htm

Emergency Medical Care in Non-VA Facilities

VA may provide reimbursement or payment for medical care provided to enrolled veterans by non-VA facilities only in cases of medical emergencies where VA or other federal facilities were not feasibly available. Other conditions also apply. To determine eligibility or to initiate a claim, contact the VA medical facility nearest to where the emergency service was provided.

Martha has given good advice. Also at issue is whether you are authorized to use the VA for all health issues or only those service related.

Thanks Martha, I am rated at 30 per cent and use the va for every thing. If it is not service connected there is a co pay, That might be the catch right there. Thank you

I know it varies but for a single 56 yr old in michigan anyone have a clue to the cost of a high deductable policey?

runnerr said:
I know it varies but for a single 56 yr old in michigan anyone  have a clue to the cost of a high deductable policey?

the prices vary widely depending on the company and you. BC/BS will allow everyone to purchase, and thus the costs are higher, for single in the 200-250 per month for a single.

policies with insurers that screen health history, such as Golden Rule, for a single are in the 150 per month range for a single.

deductibles 5200-6000 a year, if you're in network, much higher out of network.

Back
Top Bottom