Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Suze Orman's target audience is no more the majority of people who frequent here any more than the Dave Ramsey followers are (both of whom I thoroughly enjoy listening to every chance I can, since Im not FIREd yet). Both Dave and Suze are targeting people who have no clue how to handle money, who dont even know principle from interest, who for the most part havent even started to plan for retirement. When listening to some of the people she interviews, I want to pull out my hair. Mid 50's, huge debt, little to no retirement, and no clue what to do. If she is simply getting people to look at their money and income in a different way, and learn to save instead of spending and staying in debt, she has accomplished what she has set out to do. Most people here are eons past that. I think she's great.
+1. Suzi and Dave keep more than a few people from falling over their own fiscal cliff and that's a good thing - both for them, and for us!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't like her condescending attitude and her preachy nasally voice. She sounds like some of my father's sisters who are witches and speak in that same derogatory way. Her speaking in the 3rd person and constantly saying her name is very annoying too. I really can't stand her and fast forward through 80% of the show watching the Can I Afford It and How am I doing segments.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

She is Smarmy. Cannot STAND her.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I don't like her condescending attitude and her preachy nasally voice. She sounds like some of my father's sisters who are witches and speak in that same derogatory way. Her speaking in the 3rd person and constantly saying her name is very annoying too. I really can't stand her and fast forward through 80% of the show watching the Can I Afford It and How am I doing segments.
If you feel that way (I don't watch her so have no opinion on her at all)...why do you watch at all?
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Both Dave and Suze are targeting people who have no clue how to handle money, who dont even know principle from interest, who for the most part havent even started to plan for retirement. When listening to some of the people she interviews, I want to pull out my hair. Mid 50's, huge debt, little to no retirement, and no clue what to do. If she is simply getting people to look at their money and income in a different way, and learn to save instead of spending and staying in debt, she has accomplished what she has set out to do.
Agreed. I wish one BIL, the one married to Spendarina, would listen to Suze because he'd be far better off. I mentioned to him that I would probably be quitting my job in the Spring and he said he "has to work until he's 66". I think he's optimistic.

He has a six-figure income but he and Spendarina are also over $300k in debt, take a luxury beach vacation every year, dine out often, and she's hankering for a new car to replace the 2-year-old one, which in turn replaced a different 2-year-old one.

I asked her about that one time and she said "I got a good deal. The payment is only $15 higher for the new car." I didn't say anything about the additional three years she'd be making payments because it was clear she didn't think that far ahead. She probably has no idea what depreciation is.

These are the people who need to listen to Suze and Dave.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
If you feel that way (I don't watch her so have no opinion on her at all)...why do you watch at all?

i only watch the can i affort it segment then off it goes . its amazing how clueless folks can be.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I don't like her condescending attitude and her preachy nasally voice. Her speaking in the 3rd person and constantly saying her name is very annoying too. I really can't stand her and fast forward through 80% of the show watching the Can I Afford It and How am I doing segments.
+1

Quote:
I don't now, but I have seen her just enough to form the same opinion. You watch, you don't like, you move on.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1. Same question I had on another thread (and others before), some of the same posters even, and had my head handed to me there for pointing it out (without naming). If you don't agree with someone that's absolutely fine, even welcome, just explain why objectively and leave it at that. What I don't get are the nasty personal attacks, especially without explaining why someone disagrees on content. I doubt "we" would be that nasty if not for Internet anonymity, a poor excuse IMO.

Again, I don't follow Suze so I am not defending her in particular. Flame away if you'd like...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i only watch the can i affort it segment then off it goes . its amazing how clueless folks can be.
What scares the devil out of me is that these Spendzillas VOTE & seem to expect the same reckless spending behavior out of their gov't
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

When I used to watch her, it was painful to see her tell people what they couldnt do. Seemed if you followed her ideas, that you would never be "good" enough to retire, let alone early. Once i personally threw off the chains of bad advice and negative talk, I could walk free into FIRE. Walk your own walk.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #31

I don't take retirement advice from people who are not retired.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #32

This makes me laugh

FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
The second was "Under no circumstances should you assume you can afford to retire early. Stop working at 60 or so and your savings, social security, and pension may have to sustain you for 25 or 30 years."
Tango, sorry for jumping into the thread so late. But, I'm curious. How did you jump from the quoted statement above to the bolded statement below? The above statement just doesn't seem to drive your conclusion below.
Quote:

Now I understand this was a short (two page) article that is addressed to the masses----but to say that no one should retire early? What about people whose pensions are COLA and who get 90% or more of their ending pay? What about people who have saved lots of money?

Don't know what she would say about those of us who have retired early---would she say that we were crazy and did a foolish thing?
My own opinion is that few should "assume" they can retire early. Tools like FireCalc and a decent understanding of everyday finances come into play.

I'm not familar with Orman's work, but based on the statement you quoted, I don't see a problem. Folks shouldn't just "assume" they can retire early. Her quote doesn't say that "no one should retire early."
Old 12-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure why you guys think her advice has no value on this forum?

I garee the majority here are most likely long past needing her advice, but surely there are younger members who could get a little value from some of her advice.

I'm sure many folks who read this forum could learn a thing or two from Suzie.

I just don't believe we should simply dismiss her, as she has done a lot of good.
marc515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Both Dave and Suze are targeting people who have no clue how to handle money, who dont even know principle from interest,....
....or know the difference between principle and principal

Sorry - couldn't resist.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
She is Smarmy. Cannot STAND her.
+1 I watched her show once but never again...............
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Sorry - couldn't resist.
Dat funnae !
Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Sorry - couldn't resist.
When you're good you're very good, but when you're bad you're better

Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #39

For most posters here, watching Suze is like Einstein attending a high school physics class.

Some of the Can I Afford It participants are living so far beyond their means, I sometimes wonder if the calls are real. I imagine the more extreme cases are deemed "better TV", thus get aired more often than do ordinary ones.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I am finding that the best cure for watching Suze is to retire...

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote