Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Suze Orman Advises Against ER!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Suze Orman Advises Against ER!

Okay, I know that she is not the most astute/respected financial guru, but I was surprised about her advice in the January 2013 O Magazine. In an article entitled "All in Good Time," a "decade by decade plan for securing your financial future," she had two tidbits for people in their 50's. The first was that people in their fifties MUST buy long-term care insurance. No mention about people who may have enough assets not needing it or companies going out of business/not honoring the policies.

The second was "Under no circumstances should you assume you can afford to retire early. Stop working at 60 or so and your savings, social security, and pension may have to sustain you for 25 or 30 years."

Now I understand this was a short (two page) article that is addressed to the masses----but to say that no one should retire early? What about people whose pensions are COLA and who get 90% or more of their ending pay? What about people who have saved lots of money?

Don't know what she would say about those of us who have retired early---would she say that we were crazy and did a foolish thing?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I like Suze Orman for personal finance (pay-off-your-credit-cards) types of advice. However, I don't think she has much in depth understanding of the realities of middle class life or retirement. Her idea of living expenses is up there in the stratosphere from my point of view.

She always says people need a lot more money to retire than seems reasonable to me, and I say this from a very cautious viewpoint myself.

She has been saying people should work until they are nearly 70 or longer for quite a while. Sometimes I wonder if she tells people this because of her own insecurities about her own retirement.

I also do not agree with her investing advice. But I think she is terrific in getting people to realize what they can and cannot afford, and on paying down debt.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't plan to ask Suze if I should have retired. She would probably just say no.

Most of us on this forum have planned our retirements pretty well and also saved and lived well below our means. I think Suze deals with a lot of live for today people who haven't thought about tomorrow much less their future retirement.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #4

Orman is a man-hater, especially if the caller is married to one. Her ego has gotten out of control, and she is out of touch with reality. I especially like the pre-paid cards she was pushing about a year or two ago. With enormous fees on them, I don't know how she could look anyone in the eye and say she was trying to help people.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
"Under no circumstances should you assume you can afford to retire early. Stop working at 60 or so and your savings, social security, and pension may have to sustain you for 25 or 30 years."

Now I understand this was a short (two page) article that is addressed to the masses----but to say that no one should retire early? What about people whose pensions are COLA and who get 90% or more of their ending pay? What about people who have saved lots of money?

Don't know what she would say about those of us who have retired early---would she say that we were crazy and did a foolish thing?
I don't follow Suze at all, but I think her target audience is the masses as you noted. And her quote above doesn't seem to say no one should retire early, it says no one should assume they can afford to retire early. Not assuming is probably sound general advice for the masses.

She goes on to say your savings, social security and pension may have to sustain you for 25 to 30 years, that's consistent with 4% SWR methodology, which is a baseline for many here - for early retirement.

So the article may be sound general advice for the masses, most of whom may not be able to afford to retire early. And it doesn't seem to imply she'd think ERs here are crazy and did a foolish thing, this group is not Suze's target audience of course...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I am not surprised. This has been her message for quite some time.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I don't follow Suze at all, but I think her target audience is the masses as you noted. And her quote above doesn't seem to say no one should retire early, it says no one should assume they can afford to retire early.
+1. I think we've all heard what folks say about ass-u-me-ing... "Never assume" is some of the best advice ever given/received.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #8

Are you kidding me?!?! In my opinion Ms. Orman is an out-of-touch ego maniac who specializes in sound bites rather than sound fiscal management.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

What drives me nuts about her "early retirement" view/analysis is she totally ignores the idea that you take a "drawn down" strategy toward your investment portfolio and withdraw say 4% of assets each year. She only looks at whether you can live off of the income and interest generated from your investments, WITHOUT drawing down on principal.

I have seen her tell couples with $2.5 million in investments and very low expenses/lifestyle that they could not afford to retire early "for fear of the unknown"??
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #10

Her advice is not relevant to this forum at all. Her good advice is so basic it adds no value and her bad advice so dangerous it could really mess you up.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Are you kidding me?!?! In my opinion Ms. Orman is an out-of-touch ego maniac who specializes in sound bites rather than sound fiscal management.
But she is typically dealing with people who have no clue that their nursing home isn't covered forever under medicare and that their eventual ss plus a current five figure savings account won't be enough to live on very long if they retire in their fifties. At least she is making some people think about it.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Again, I don't follow her, but here she seems to recommend a nest egg of 25X annual expenses though she's not clear on tax impact FWIW. Sound like a familiar rule of thumb?

Sure is better than the Fidelity Magic Number of 8X final (work years) pay in another thread today. Fido is a good company, not sure what that article was supposed to accomplish...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Her advice is not relevant to this forum at all. Her good advice is so basic it adds no value and her bad advice so dangerous it could really mess you up.
You are probably right! But I guess some people (no one on this forum, of course!) need to hear some of the most basic advice.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sooo - after a twenty year careeer of ER perhaps I shouldn't her about going back to work at 69?

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Agree that her audience is not really the FIRE crowd.
bondi688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

best thing about suze is the skits they do on SNL
Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Suze Orman's target audience is no more the majority of people who frequent here any more than the Dave Ramsey followers are (both of whom I thoroughly enjoy listening to every chance I can, since Im not FIREd yet). Both Dave and Suze are targeting people who have no clue how to handle money, who dont even know principle from interest, who for the most part havent even started to plan for retirement. When listening to some of the people she interviews, I want to pull out my hair. Mid 50's, huge debt, little to no retirement, and no clue what to do. If she is simply getting people to look at their money and income in a different way, and learn to save instead of spending and staying in debt, she has accomplished what she has set out to do. Most people here are eons past that. I think she's great.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I love watching Suze and listening to Dave! It motivates me to not become wrecks like the guests on their shows.
azphx1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by azphx1972 View Post
I love watching Suze and listening to Dave! It motivates me to not become wrecks like the guests on their shows.
That's the reason I sometimes stop and listen to them.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

And I care about this because....?