Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd recorded her show last night, but ended up turning it off after about fifteen minutes because it seems to me she increasingly believes her purpose is to be an amateur psychiatrist. I would much prefer listening to pure financial discussion.
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I'd recorded her show last night, but ended up turning it off after about fifteen minutes because it seems to me she increasingly believes her purpose is to be an amateur psychiatrist. I would much prefer listening to pure financial discussion.
Spouse mentioned today that Suze has been stopping shoppers in the street (I think she asks them to stop, not physically halts them) and asking them what they received for Christmas last year.

Admittedly Suze's editing the video, but it's amazing how many people can't remember last year's holiday.

And then they resume shopping for this one.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

We used to get Dave Ramsey on one of our tv channels, but they cut his show. I have to credit him too for helping people realize they were living too far beyond their means and they would follow his advice about selling or downsizing. I truly think his show may be one reason so many people stopped buying more than they needed and quit using cards so much. CNBC has been talking for the last year how personal savings have been going up and debt decreasing. I think it may be because of the help from these shows.

I loved Friday nights when he would play a clip of different ways people would get rid of their credit cards after they were "debt free". My favorite was when a man lined all his cards on a fence beside each other and shot them one at a time with his gun.
heirloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom View Post
My favorite was when a man lined all his cards on a fence beside each other and shot them one at a time with his gun.
That's just weird! And ammunition is expensive nowadays. I don't suppose just putting the cards in a drawer would work.

I saw on Suze's show a couple of weeks ago she is now preaching LBYM. She actually used the words "live below your means. You can't afford not to".

Wow. What a concept.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #225
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Suze gave some advice the other day to someone that I didn't agree with, and I was curious as to what everyone here thinks about this situation? It involved a 64 year old woman who wanted to take a $3,000 road trip with her daughter. As I recall, the specifics were something like:
Monthly net income: $1800
Monthly expenses: $3800
Savings/Investments/Retirement: $630K total (can't remember the breakdown though)
Debt: she assumed her daughter's student loans of $54K.

Anyway, Suze denied her because she was spending $2000 per month more than what she was bringing in. The lady tried to argue saying that some months her investments go up, but Suze wouldn't hear it.

But, assuming her portfolio keeps up with inflation, at a burn rate of $2,000 per month, shouldn't that $630,000 portfolio last her about 26 years? That would put her to 90, and she very well might not make it to that age.

FWIW, a 4% withdrawal rate would come out to $25,200, or $2100 per month, on $630K. Personally I think this lady should go for it, take that road trip, and enjoy the time she has. But, I could be missing something?

Seems like sometimes Suze wants everybody to die with millions of dollars left in the bank.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Seems like sometimes Suze wants everybody to die with millions of dollars left in the bank.
And while they are still working, even if they are 70+.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
Suze gave some advice the other day to someone that I didn't agree with, and I was curious as to what everyone here thinks about this situation? It involved a 64 year old woman who wanted to take a $3,000 road trip with her daughter. As I recall, the specifics were something like:
Savings/Investments/Retirement: $630K total (can't remember the breakdown though)

Anyway, Suze denied her because she was spending $2000 per month more than what she was bringing in. The lady tried to argue saying that some months her investments go up, but Suze wouldn't hear it.

But, assuming her portfolio keeps up with inflation, at a burn rate of $2,000 per month, shouldn't that $630,000 portfolio last her about 26 years? That would put her to 90, and she very well might not make it to that age.

FWIW, a 4% withdrawal rate would come out to $25,200, or $2100 per month, on $630K. Personally I think this lady should go for it, take that road trip, and enjoy the time she has. But, I could be missing something?

I really hate to agree with Suze, but I do on this one.
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #228
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Her "when can I retire" advice drives me nuts. I saw the show and situation you describe. Suze denied her because she assumes you need to be able live off the "interest and income only" of your investments in retirement and not deplete principal but doesn't oftent come out and state this clearly. If you want to leave your money to your kids I think that is a fine strategy but not something everybody strives for. I know when I calculated my own situation it meant working for 10 more years to be able to not touch my principal. Love my daughter dearly but not enough to work 10 extra years of my life to leave her the whole nest egg. She can have all that is left though!
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #229
Full time employment: Posting here.

In the same program discussed above, during the 'How Am I Doing" segment she gave the caller an "F" in retirement planning.

Although I do not recall all of the details, what I do remember is that the caller was about 54yrs old and her husband was 60. Their goal was for the husband to stop working at 62 while she continued to work. Their combined assests were 1.1 mil including a paid for house and around 700K in investments. No debts. And Suze gave them an "F" saying the both need to work until at least 67 or maybe 70 yrs old.

She had previously lost all credability with me.....so I guess I was watching her show again only to confirm my opinion.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #230

I've managed to make this far without Suze's advice and don't plan to start now. I have realized that FIRE is such an alien concept that the media can not even acknowledge its existance anymore.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Her "when can I retire" advice drives me nuts. I saw the show and situation you describe. Suze denied her because she assumes you need to be able live off the "interest and income only" of your investments in retirement and not deplete principal but doesn't oftent come out and state this clearly. If you want to leave your money to your kids I think that is a fine strategy but not something everybody strives for. I know when I calculated my own situation it meant working for 10 more years to be able to not touch my principal. Love my daughter dearly but not enough to work 10 extra years of my life to leave her the whole nest egg. She can have all that is left though!
Funny how some miss the point that one may not choose to leave all their retirement money to heirs. Isn't that why it's called money for retirement and not money to leave to heirs?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
In the same program discussed above, during the 'How Am I Doing" segment she gave the caller an "F" in retirement planning.

Although I do not recall all of the details, what I do remember is that the caller was about 54yrs old and her husband was 60. Their goal was for the husband to stop working at 62 while she continued to work. Their combined assests were 1.1 mil including a paid for house and around 700K in investments. No debts. And Suze gave them an "F" saying the both need to work until at least 67 or maybe 70 yrs old.

She had previously lost all credability with me.....so I guess I was watching her show again only to confirm my opinion.
Even if she was right, I don't watch her because of the way that she berates the callers.

As the character Barney Fife from "The Andy Griffth Show" once said, "I'd rather be called skunkface than honey like that."
Old 06-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #233
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
Her "when can I retire" advice drives me nuts. I saw the show and situation you describe. Suze denied her because she assumes you need to be able live off the "interest and income only" of your investments in retirement and not deplete principal but doesn't oftent come out and state this clearly.
Suze assumes that nobody should ever squander their human capital and should never spend their principal. Work until you're at least age 67, carry lots of life insurance (you never know!) and long-term care insurance (you will need it!), and don't have any fun until you've funded your retirement accounts.

With the audience she panders to, I can see why she'd impose those rules.

Besides, it's her job to stir up controversy. If she had a fair, open, honest, balanced discussion of the issues then nobody would watch her show-- even on nights when her canary yellow outfit has such a strong contrast with her orange spray-tan face and her blindingly white bleached teeth...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Probably so. Ditto for Dave Ramsey, actually. Many people *can* use credit effectively and responsibly, but they are not really his target audience.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Suze assumes that nobody should ever squander their human capital and should never spend their principal. Work until you're at least age 67, carry lots of life insurance (you never know!) and long-term care insurance (you will need it!), and don't have any fun until you've funded your retirement accounts.

Besides, it's her job to stir up controversy. If she had a fair, open, honest, balanced discussion of the issues then nobody would watch her show-- even on nights when her canary yellow outfit has such a strong contrast with her orange spray-tan face and her blindingly white bleached teeth...
If you want to see some real people with money problems, you should watch the show "Prince$$" which is right before Suze saturday night. These girls are clueless about money but since of entitlement is off the charts. Watching them struggle to change their ways with the drill sergeant lady on their case is a hoot.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
If you want to see some real people with money problems, you should watch the show "Prince$$" which is right before Suze saturday night. These girls are clueless about money but since of entitlement is off the charts. Watching them struggle to change their ways with the drill sergeant lady on their case is a hoot.
Sounds like trainwreck television but "fun and pretty" trainwreck television LOL!

I found this link which has descriptions of upcoming episodes. I am not usually around on Saturday nights but this weekend I will be. Maybe I grab some popcorn and check it out?

News Headlines
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #237

I used to watch "Prince$$", but started getting kinda bored with it. It started getting a bit repetitive. But then, the same can be said about Suze, I guess!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:48 PM   #238
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer

Even if she was right, I don't watch her because of the way that she berates the callers.

As the character Barney Fife from "The Andy Griffth Show" once said, "I'd rather be called skunkface than honey like that."
For sure.

I haven't watched her (intentionally) in many months.

If you do watch her, imagine inviting her over for dinner and having her behave that way!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I used to watch "Prince$$", but started getting kinda bored with it. It started getting a bit repetitive. But then, the same can be said about Suze, I guess!
I have only seen it the last 2 weeks. Im sure it will get old after awhile. I am still at the "stunned with their stupidity" stage. The one last week who made a $1000 a month, but was spending 11k a month thanks to her exboyfriend who I guess was paying because he thought he still could get her back was unbelievable. The lady was spending $2400 a month on just eating out at fancy restaurants. Needless to say she couldn't be salvaged despite the boyfriend choking off the money supply and did not get the $5k to help pay the bills.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #240
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Agree. I used to watch and enjoy it but the storyline just keeps repeating itself over and over. The only thing that changes is how attractive the "princess" happens to be.
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote