Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
.......... It's like having a glimpse into someone else's private financial life, which I couldn't get in my life otherwise.............
Heck, that's why I hang out here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I can't stand her. Just don't like her delivery, but maybe it works for the ones who need her advice.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I was watching her last night. I generally enjoy her show. However, I CRINGED and nearly jumped off the sofa every time she mentioned 67 as being when everyone one should retire and that anything prior to that was nonsense.

IMHO, she should be telling people that they should gear their savings/investment strategy to have sufficient funds to retire early at 60. Then the average person might have enough funds to survive when they actually do retire.

I just don't understand where she is coming from on this.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did the current administration offer huge incentives to these on-air gurus to suggest working longer and waiting till 80 to take SS? Seems the airwaves are filled with that advice recently.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #25

I don't like Suze because she is a man-hater. Her bias is obvious in her comments.

As far as her advice, it's generally not bad, but is tailored to nobody specific except the masses.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #26

• My 20-something daughter listens and acts on some of Suze's advice.
  • Working until 67. I think there is media message push out there to retire at 67. I keep hearing and reading it. I heard Dick Durbin say today that the senate is considering raising retirement from 67 to 68 to keep SS for a solvent for a few more decades.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't like her. Never did. I'm sure she helps a certain percentage of the population and while she treats her audience with some respect and warmth....I've just never thought she was that good. Have to hand it to her for "branding herself" so that "someone would buy her"........but basically she sells "common sense" and basic arithmetic.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I think Suze's audience maybe really can't afford to retire at 60 and she is doing them a service with a reality check:

Quote:
According to a recent study by the Employee Benefit Research Institute and the Investment Company Institute, 401(k) participants in their 60s had an average account balance of $144,000 at the end of 2009. Workers in their 60s who have been participating in the same 401 (k) plan for more than 30 years have on average $197,472 in their plan.
Four ways 60-year-olds can save their retirement - Business - TheState.com
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Her advice may or may not be great, but I cannot get past the scary appearance.

The appearance thing sort of reminds me of Conan...and both are entertaining.

Suze has changed her tune on when to retire as well as what to use as a projection of market performance over time...now using 4%. Times change and the last few years have been brutal to a lot of people. The old girl wants to stay current!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I prefer her SNL counterpart. The advice is just as good.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
The appearance thing sort of reminds me of Conan...and both are entertaining.
Ick, Conan. I would not bother to swerve if he were crossing the street in front of my car.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Looking at 67 as retirement age fits exactly into everything else she says

The "can I afford it" thing has always left me perplexed. So long as you have access to the cash or credit line, you absolutely can afford whatever crap you want. It's just a matter of what you value more -- buying stuff or having more money in the bank

Likewise, no matter she says, I value not working so much more than I value more money in the bank, so that's the path I take. It really doesn't bother me when a millionaire on TV says my values are wrong
Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Suze and Dave Ramsey are directed toward an audience that can't manage their day to day finances - people with a negative savings rate. Any advice regarding actual long term investments is purely theoretical to the majority of their listeners. In the end they know that they will end up living off Social Security and if they manage to retire with a minimal debt load, they'll eat premium cat food.
Sad but true.

Or, as Monty Python would say, "Cruel but fair."

I do think that Orman and Ramsey are useful teachers for people with negative savings -- for those among them who are listening, anyway.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Her advice may or may not be great, but I cannot get past the scary appearance.
Anyone remember this thread Suze Orman opinions post # 108

Scary appearance indeed
Old 01-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Heck, that's why I hang out here.
Hey, the kind of people who call into her show definitely don't hang out here. If they did, they wouldn't need her help!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #36

I have watched her several times and find her on-air persona arrogant and bias. She may just be playing the character she has developed....or it may really be how she is. Don't know and don't really care. But it annoys me when she recommends that people work years longer then they want to just so that they can have the income SHE thinks they should have rather then the income they have already stated they want or need.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #37

She is in a same sex relationship, but that does not make her a "man hater" in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
I don't like Suze because she is a man-hater. Her bias is obvious in her comments.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #38

Hmmm - in this case, I believe you get what you pay for....also, 67 is the 'retirement age' for some of us here wrt getting the SS at a non-reduced rate. I suspect she was hewing to that.

I watched her once or twice and don't like her preachy attitude - in addition it was fairly rudimentary stuff, but as others have said, there are a lot of people who don't quite understand rudimentary yet.....

I suspect she makes her money by selling books and and doing paid public appearances and uses someone else to manage her money :-) Kind of like those people who put on seminars on how to get rich with real estate or some other such thing - when in fact they make most of their money selling their advice to you.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 AM   #39

I believe the current bias is work forever so you can buy more stuff that you don't really need.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #40

In my opinion all of the financial gurus on tv/radio are for beginners. Everyone of them I have taken the time to listen to, seem to offer fairly safe advice for those who don't have a clue about what they are doing. Most of the advice I have heard isn't going to hurt their audience, but it also is a bit less risky than I am willing to accept. Back in the day I used to listen to one on the radio when I was at work, thinking back they also were for beginners, but it was a basis for more knowledge.