suze orman says....

It may not be a credit to my character, but I kinda enjoy seeing her knock people down a few pegs when they are being stupid. "I reeeeely deserve a new lexus!!!!" When they are drowning in consumer debt.

Yeah, I'm mean...
And Dave Ramsey can have whatever is left of them when she's finished with them...

Probably giving her too much credit, but another thought as to why Suze may seem to encourage everyone to work until age 67. She knows most people won't realistically be able to retire early, and most of her viewing audience would rather hear/think that it's normal to work until 67 or longer. Most people DON'T want to hear "others" can retire early - they want to think they're doing as well as everyone else (who's not doing well). A few of my former co-workers were actually mad that I was able to retire early, one won't speak to me in public he's so angry/presumably jealous. FWIW...

That's a good point, and you may be right about that. I don't have a problem hearing that some people can retire earlier than me; in fact I love it when I hear that. I can see though that maybe most people wouldn't feel that way. Still seems though that if someone has $2 million with no debt at age 62 and wants to retire that she ought to be able to say, "Yeah, you've done enough." She could even tell them to delay Social Security if that's a big deal for her.

I agree that her investing advice leaves much to be desired, but then so does Dave Ramsey. I think part of the reason is that they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator within their audience, so they have to make their advice overly simplistic, and they probably cannot dole out specific investment advice due to liability issues.

Could any of us do better if we had to broadcast a weekly TV/radio personal finance show? I cannot begin to imagine the amount of criticism I would receive with the advice that I would provide, so I cannot be too harsh on public PF personalities either. At the very least, they're getting people to think about their finances, and driving a little bit of traffic to sites like this one. :)

Other than the "make lots of money quickly" infomercial guys, are there any personal finance people who use retiring early as the main goal? Seems that would be a nice niche.

Every time I see a Suze Orman thread, or references to Dave Ramsey, I make a mental note to watch/listen to them to see what all the fuss is about.

I still haven't gotten around to it. Maybe one day. I actually don't know where I would find their shows. I guess I could find out.

Every time I see a Suze Orman thread, or references to Dave Ramsey, I make a mental note to watch/listen to them to see what all the fuss is about.

I still haven't gotten around to it. Maybe one day. I actually don't know where I would find their shows. I guess I could find out.

Suze is on CNBC Saturday at 9-10 pm ET. Dave Ramsey is on a lot of AM radio stations, wouldn't be hard to find him if you look.

Dave Ramsey archives 2 weeks of shows to listen to online at his website -
Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan - daveramsey.com

He also has an IHeart Radio channel that plays the previous day's 3 hour show for 24 hours until the next one is available -

Dave Ramsey Channel - Straight Talk on Life and Money | iHeartRadio

You can also listen to an hour of the 3 hour show on ITunes.

The Suze Orman Show is also available on ITunes, and it's the full broadcast tv show from Saturday night on CNBC.

I enjoy both of these shows because you get to learn about other people's financial lives. People continue to find new ways to screw it up!

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips on how to find these shows, but my comment wasn't intended to be read as a request for help.

Thanks anyway.

Dave Ramsey > Suze Orman

I feel like Dave is a lot more realistic when it comes to expenses and getting out of debt then Suze Orman is. Most of the people that call into the DR show are gazelle intense while the suze orman callers are more sloth like. Maybe, though, it is just the suze orman producers trying to get similar callers to the typical american audience.

Hey, Enough of Dumping on Suze,

Let's talk about Kramer & his picks !!

Just kidding, let me not hijack this tread,

Back to dumping on Suze !!

Back
Top Bottom