Join Early Retirement Today

Swabb (Schwab)
Old 04-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Swabb (Schwab)

I rolled over to Swabb from my school system 403b. I think I am starting to like them.... I am getting all this free stuff FA for my retirement and now someone looking into my pension options and amounts. It will be interesting to what he says.... but I will say that I do trust you guys on this forum maybe more than this Swabb person. I will be excited if he says the same thing on our pension as this ER forum... I will be talking with him in a couple of weeks............ so WHY pay for someone when you can get it all for free.
jwr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

never heard of them - with a name like swabb it seems like they will have a propensity to absorb though
Old 04-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Do you mean Charles Schwab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr62 View Post
...... so WHY pay for someone when you can get it all for free.
Careful of hidden fees.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

I don't cotton to Swabb.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had Schwab for many years. I have since moved to Vanguard because it was a little cheaper. I had some money in one fund that was based on a Schwab index. Bad idea. It always was a laggard. I thought they did a pretty good job of working with their customers.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:04 PM   #6

I have most of money at Schwab... with a little at Fidelity and a little at Vanguard.

My "personal consultant" is very nice. She also handle's my sister's account. She's willing to do as much or as little as you need. My sister want's more hand holding and is invested in the managed portfolio's (computers rebalance - expense is about 0.5% of the assets invested in this way). My sister wants frequent check in's... and gets them. I talk to the consultant every 6 months or so... usually comparing notes on the kids (her kids are similar in age to mine.) I think she's required to check in to see if I need anything at least once a year. I'm ok with that.

I did have her run the retirement scenario before I pulled the plug. Her tool wasn't quite as sophisticated as firecalc (more deterministic)... but it was another set of eyes... and DH was able to see that a "professional" approved the plan.

The schwab index funds have fairly low ERs... in the same ballpark as Vanguard.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #7

I have funds in both Schwab and Fidelity. I have had very good experiences with both companies.
I pretty much never answer the phone when my "account managers" call. Schwab finally quit calling but Fidelity keeps leaving a message on the answering machine every 6 months.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

This thread title unfortunately won't show up in a search for Schwab, but DD had her $$ there 15 or so years ago. They did charge her $75 to close the rather small account when she needed to make a down payment on a condo, but otherwise she was happy enough with them. Remember no advice is really "free"--you pay for it directly or indirectly.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:19 PM   #9

I haven't used Schwab for investments but do like their checking account. They reimburse all ATM fees when making cash withdrawals overseas.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I haven't used Schwab for investments but do like their checking account. They reimburse all ATM fees when making cash withdrawals overseas.
+1 on the atm fee (and no foreign conversion charge.) We used our schwab checking for cash withdrawals on our 9 week trip.... Totally awesome to get good exchange rates, no atm fees (and reimbursed any local originated fees).
Old 04-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We got the Schwab investor checking for the great ATM benefits overseas.

They do have some nice ETFs, so I recently moved some funds into their brokerage to buy some SCHD with no commissions. This will probably only be a small account. Fidelity holds most of our non-FDIC insured investments.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

With Schwab, stick with the low cost ETFs. You can build a low-cost portfolio as with Vanguard and Fidelity.

I've had no problems whatsoever with Schwab. I don't know if I receive calls, as they have my landline number, which has no voicemail.

I assume that they pay the advisor very well. At least the guy at local office. I watched him open a brokerage account with my youngest, who was starting first job. He was really patient while explaining.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I assume that they pay the advisor very well. At least the guy at local office.
If you are assigned to an advisor, they get a percentage of the value of your portfolio (they disclose how much on their website). It's not a high per centage and they are assigned to many people.

"Service Pay compensates a Financial Consultant for building and maintaining relationships with clients in their practice. Each month, they are paid a percentage of the approximate annual revenue attributed to clients in their practice."

There is a table that lays out how much compensation here:
U.S. Branch Representatives

Rita
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
This thread title unfortunately won't show up in a search for Schwab, but DD had her $$ there 15 or so years ago. They did charge her $75 to close the rather small account when she needed to make a down payment on a condo, but otherwise she was happy enough with them. Remember no advice is really "free"--you pay for it directly or indirectly.
There's actually a reason for the charge. They're charged a fee from their record keeper for closed accounts. Schwab is only passing it.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
If you are assigned to an advisor, they get a percentage of the value of your portfolio

At first I thought your wording meant there was actually a fee charged to Schwab accounts for basic "advisor" services. There isn't. Their compensation is, in part, determined by what you own and the transactions you make. But nothing is deducted from your account. There is no charge directly to you for having an advisor. It's a payroll expense Schwab absorbs and is funded by revenues generated by transaction commissions, fund expense ratios, etc.

Their compensation is an expense to Schwab in the same way that the representative that answers the phone at Vanguard is an expense to Vanguard.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
There's actually a reason for the charge. They're charged a fee from their record keeper for closed accounts. Schwab is only passing it.
That's interesting and I guess I understand it (this was 15 years ago so maybe different now) but more than anything it made the closing process cumbersome (as I recall they wanted a separate cashier's check delivered to their B&M office, when DD was already stressed with first home buying jitters and was working long hours with little time to go to the bank for a cashier's check--she was 1,000 miles from us so was on her own). Her fault I guess, but DD probably would have returned to Schwab as her salary (and investment $$) grew quickly had they just held the fee out of the account (probably a reason they couldn't, but still...). I wonder if Schwab etc. charge a separate record keeping fee when you open an account or make changes to one. I know Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, etc. all probably charge the same fees--not singling out Schwab.

The odds are slim that OP will be in this situation , and Schwab seems to have fine reputation.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That's interesting and I guess I understand it (this was 15 years ago so maybe different now) but more than anything it made the closing process cumbersome (as I recall they wanted a separate cashier's check delivered to their B&M office, when DD was already stressed with first home buying jitters and was working long hours with little time to go to the bank for a cashier's check--she was 1,000 miles from us so was on her own). Her fault I guess, but DD probably would have returned to Schwab as her salary (and investment $$) grew quickly had they just held the fee out of the account (probably a reason they couldn't, but still...). I wonder if Schwab etc. charge a separate record keeping fee when you open an account or make changes to one. I know Fidelity, Vanguard, Schwab, etc. all probably charge the same fees--not singling out Schwab.

The odds are slim that OP will be in this situation , and Schwab seems to have fine reputation.
It was the same time frame when I closed my accounts at Schwab. If I recall correctly it was because they started charging fees. When I first started doing business with them, the brick & mortar offices were nice and a reason why I did business with them. I had not been in one of their offices for several years so it no longer was worth the extra cost. I think they scaled back on fees to be more competitive since then.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
It was the same time frame when I closed my accounts at Schwab. If I recall correctly it was because they started charging fees. When I first started doing business with them, the brick & mortar offices were nice and a reason why I did business with them. I had not been in one of their offices for several years so it no longer was worth the extra cost. I think they scaled back on fees to be more competitive since then.
I've been with Schwab for 20 or 25 years and can't recall any fees. Can you remember any specifics as a heads up so I can be on the lookout for them?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I've been with Schwab for 20 or 25 years and can't recall any fees. Can you remember any specifics as a heads up so I can be on the lookout for them?
I can't remember exactly. I don't move things around unless there is a compelling reason. I just have it in my head that they wanted to start charging me for something and that is when I started comparing costs and moved my accounts to Vanguard. I didn't have a whole lot of money with them so that may have made a difference.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
If you are assigned to an advisor, they get a percentage of the value of your portfolio (they disclose how much on their website). It's not a high per centage and they are assigned to many people.

"Service Pay compensates a Financial Consultant for building and maintaining relationships with clients in their practice. Each month, they are paid a percentage of the approximate annual revenue attributed to clients in their practice."

There is a table that lays out how much compensation here:
U.S. Branch Representatives

Rita
Thanks for that link, Rita. Looking at it and knowing how I have my money invested and how my sister has her money invested... our common advisor (we both have the same advisor) makes a lot more money off of my sister. LOL. But then again - my sister is in the camp of wanting hand holding, wanting a managed portfolio, etc... But.. the couple hundred our advisor earns off of me - I see that it's worth her while (and part of her job) to call me every 3-6 months. LOL.