Sweet spot for car upgrade

With such low mileage per year you might be close to occasional rental and/or taxi being cheaper. Avoids the whole maintenance hassle too. Depending on geography of course.
Or maybe W2R could get by with a slightly used electric car like a Leaf? Longer trips get a rental?

I have thought of transitioning to Uber at some point.

Plus, if/when I get the two knee replacement surgeries that I think I need, then I'll be able to walk more so I won't need Uber that much. My neighborhood is very walkable. Almost everything that anybody could ever want is available within a half mile. This would be ideal for me because I need the exercise and enjoy walking.

I drive so little that the sweet spot for selling is too hard to determine. I currently have a 2007 Subaru Impreza with just 91,000 kms (56k miles) on it. In its current condition and considering how little I drive, it will probably last another 15 years, but it's time for something newer. However, the frugal part of me says to keep it.

I did sort of make a decision...I live on the Canadian prairies and winter is on the way, so I'm keeping my car at least until spring simply because I don't want to get a new car just before winter...I'd rather enjoy the newness of it over a summer than a -35 winter.

I drive a 2004 Toyota Highlander; it has 141,000 miles. Friends have the same car with 210k! I am perverse enough to want to best their mileage but we plan to move out of state in about a year and I will want/need a pickup. She will be a good car for somebody.

My objective is to buy a car with not only a good repair record, but hopefully a sterling repair record. I like Toyotas because my perception is that they fit into that category.

I believe Hondas have a similar, if not superior reliability record. Mine certainly have, and they always get great ratings. Also (as with Toyota to a large extent) they don't depreciate anywhere near as quickly as other brands.

Here's the JP Power ranking for 2016. Note that 3 GM models are ranked in the top six positions:

Highest-Ranked Nameplates and Models

Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates for a fifth consecutive year, with a score of 95 problems per 100 vehicles (PP100).

Porsche (97 PP100) follows Lexus in the rankings, moving up from fifth in 2015.
Following Porsche in the rankings are Buick (106 PP100), Toyota (113 PP100) and GMC (120 PP100).
General Motors Company receives eight segment awards and Toyota Motor Corporation six.

GM models receiving an award include the Buick Encore; Buick LaCrosse; Buick Verano; Chevrolet Camaro; Chevrolet Equinox; Chevrolet Malibu; Chevrolet Silverado HD; and GMC Yukon.
Toyota awardees include the Lexus ES; Lexus GS; Lexus GX; Toyota Prius v; Toyota Sienna; and Toyota Tundra.

2016_vds_rank_1.jpg

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2016-us-vehicle-dependability-study-vds

These initial quality ratings are interesting, but 3 years or more in service is where the spread really occurs.

Hard to capture good data after three years of personal auto use and variations in keeping up with necessary maintenance. My Jetta (13 years old) has 300K miles on it and it runs very well, but I keep up with scheduled maintenance.

The best reliability information seems to be obtained from auto user forums that operate like this forum does.

Hard to capture good data after three years of personal auto use and variations in keeping up with necessary maintenance. My Jetta (13 years old) has 300K miles on it and it runs very well, but I keep up with scheduled maintenance.

The best reliability information seems to be obtained from auto user forums that operate like this forum does.
I have my own source of reliability information. :D

My brothers are/were both car crazy guys. The oldest even raced cars rather successfully back in the day and has a room full of trophies to prove it. When I was about to buy my Solara, back in 2000, I e-mailed them both and asked them what brand (offering cars in my price range) was the most reliable. They responded independently as follows:

My oldest brother responded:
(1) Toyota
(2) Honda

My other brother responded:
(1) Honda
(2) Toyota

So, I went with Toyota. Honda would have been an equally good choice. But since my Solara was a Toyota and I was happy with it, I have stuck with Toyotas.

I don't agree. People maintain their cars within the warranty period and it is in this interval that major problems start to occur, like transmission issues. The initial quality surveys are full of stuff like radio knob hard to reach and interior surfaces too hard to the touch. I've spent a lot of hours analyzing these surveys in my old j*b. Forums are useful for finding solutions but they are more anecdotal and less statistical.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Forums are useful for finding solutions but they are more anecdotal and less statistical.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Well, as an example, the Honda forums were beneficial in providing users/potential buyers with evidence that early '90's + automatic transmissions puked before 100 K miles. That's just one example of many learned on user forums. And, yes, they are also good for users to find solutions.

I'm not that strung out on reliability these days as most modern cars are very reliable for the first 150 K miles. For people like W2R that averages roughly 2,000 miles per year, her Toyota will rust into the ground before it has reliability problems.

Actually, my plan going forward at 72 years old is to keep DW happy with an SUV, keep my 300K mile Jetta for as long as I can, and buy a sports car for my second midlife crisis I am just now entering. ;)

I don't put many miles on my cars because I live close to work so I always have this internal debate about when to replace my car. Currently I'm driving a 2005 Toyota Camry with only 103,000 miles. I'm starting to look for something else which means I'm probably about 2 more years out. I certainly don't need a different car given this one never has any problems but I've been bored with it for a while and my needs are different than when we had smaller children 11 years ago. When I find one I like, I'll probably chicken out anyway and save my money.

We don't drive much for the same reason, but our Camry is 1998 with 101K miles.
Thinking about trading it in, just because of concerns over things we don't know about, like has rubber rotted somewhere, will the ball joints fail us... etc.
Yours seems practically new :LOL:

All the rules get thrown out with me as far number of miles/years to keep a vehicle. I usually get tired of it before the sweet spot hits. Usually though I'm fine with one for at least 5 years. Over the years I purchased pre-owned to help control the cost, but bought a new one last time around. As I age and perhaps my driving slows down, who knows how long I will keep one. When I get to the point of only driving around town, I imagine I will hang onto one a lot longer.

I've only gotten rid of my cars for 2 reasons.
1) For medical reasons, my vehicle was killing my back as the seat height put too much pressure on my lower back.
2) It becomes too undependable. So when I am getting stuck on the side of the road or the lights keep coming on and I'm wasting too much time waiting for the car to be repaired.. I move on.. basically I'm anti-towing...

I would say that the sweet spot for me would be when it is worth about $3k or I don't feel like it would be good for extended road trips. The fact is that I usually get tired of the car before it is necessary to replace.

As to figuring dependability, I agree with the forum comment. I also use True Delta where car owners update repairs on a quarterly basis. It highlights problems (even with very dependable cars like our Highlander) that aren't captured by JD Power ratings.

Also, I read an article not too long ago where it pointed out that the Motor Trend Car of the Year is a terrible way to pick a car since in the past, they have selected many, many lemons.

Well the rear diff went out on my RXV last week. The part (65 pound rear axle assembly) is $1150, which I ordered and it will be a few hundred more to get it installed. The cart may be worth $3K (maybe close to $4K depending on how long I want to keep it on CL) after the repair.

Here's the conundrum - should I buy a brand spanking new Evolution golf cart for $6K shipped (fully loaded, similar to the RXV) or drive the RXV into the ground?

The Evolution carts have a self-contained charger and are capable of 25 MPH :D

I probably have about $5K in the RXV right now, I just put new batteries in it last year - $1K and put mirrors and a horn on it. The exterior is new and it came with lights.

Last edited:
Maybe when the sweet spot becomes a sour taste in your mouth :) ? I sold my one owner car this summer for $1,800. 1998 with 107,000 miles. I could have kept it longer, but the tipping points were several issues, such as broken window motor, unreliable air conditioning, and a couple other cosmetic issues. And since we were moving, I didn't want to figure out how to transport it and store it. I am using the $1,800 towards a golf cart purchase.

The fleet manager for a state police agency wrote that the best time to trade a car is just before the first major repair is needed (new engine or new transmission).

That's easy for him to say, he's got hundreds of similar vehicles being driven in similar usage and he can probably predict, most of the time, when that big repair will be needed.

Our family cars get driven until their condition and repairs become annoying, with Toyotas that's usually something like 15 years (Chicago salt) and 100k+ miles.

We gave up on GM products decades ago except for Corvettes, which you might consider more toy than transportation. But we actually put more miles each year on the 'vette than our two other cars, because we use it for looong road trips. Great fun, but a maintenance PITA.
We've bought 3 new Corvettes in the last 15 years, don't abuse them, and things (usually little but annoying things) break faster than we can fix 'em. We always get the extended warranty, which is usually a poor deal but on Corvettes they have been the best "investment" we ever made.

I have a 188,789 mile 1999 Jeep Grand Cheroke, and my wife drives a 2006, 104,000 mile Toyota Corolla. Considering cheap taxes, insurance, and relatively minor maintenance of about $1000/car per year, we aren't looking to buy just yet. When I retire in 5 years, I plan to buy a fairly new car to hopefully last for 15 - 20 years or so of short driving.

The fleet manager for a state police agency wrote that the best time to trade a car is just before the first major repair is needed (new engine or new transmission).

That's easy for him to say, he's got hundreds of similar vehicles being driven in similar usage and he can probably predict, most of the time, when that big repair will be needed.

Our family cars get driven until their condition and repairs become annoying, with Toyotas that's usually something like 15 years (Chicago salt) and 100k+ miles.

We gave up on GM products decades ago except for Corvettes, which you might consider more toy than transportation. But we actually put more miles each year on the 'vette than our two other cars, because we use it for looong road trips. Great fun, but a maintenance PITA.
We've bought 3 new Corvettes in the last 15 years, don't abuse them, and things (usually little but annoying things) break faster than we can fix 'em. We always get the extended warranty, which is usually a poor deal but on Corvettes they have been the best "investment" we ever made.

vettes have such a high depreciation rate I'm not sure I'd ever buy a new one and I like new cars. You can get a NICE c5 nowadays for a little over 10K

check out this c6 https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5782062852.html

Last edited:
In my megacorp, the fleet gets cycled out around 150,000 miles. Some earlier if they have a history of problems, some later if they have high mileage for the age. These are almost all GM products, small trucks, SUVs, full size cars. There isn't an exact formula they use. Sometimes they flush out a whole bunch at once, others a few at a time.

They usually offer the used vehicles to the employees at wholesale cost. So I was getting excited when my truck's number was coming due. Not a single problem for 160,000 miles and in almost perfect condition. I was planning to get it for a steal. But, the same week they called to say my new truck was ordered, then suddenly it started idling rough and not accelerating, check engine light came one, my driver door started sagging and then someone backed into me in the parking lot. The fleet department sold it as-is, and the total of the repairs was more than what the truck was worth. It ended up going to auction. So, the fleet department hit the sweet spot right on the head.

good call, I guess

golf cart was both the best and worst purchase I've ever made...

what kind are you going to get? check out https://www.golfcartsoutlet.com/

Thanks, I am very interested in the Evolution you posted. I have looked at a few used ones on Craigslist, but they have a few problems

Sent from my XT1254 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The accumulated annoyances factor (small things wrong such as for example I now have to adjust some A/C settings using the nav panel as the steering wheel located controls often do not work.these minor electrical items are often expensive labor wise to chase down so generally not worth fixing) plus if/how often one gets left by the side of the road (not yet with my 13 yr old Prius with 150k) will be the "sweet spot" for me. On the other hand, this is my first Toyota and first truly "foreign" car, as it was built entirely in Japan (newer Prius's may/may not be the case). So. I have some curiosity as to how long I can have it last. I travel very little so far in country by car now that I am retired, so perhaps a rental if i ever feel the need for such a trip and do not want to take a chance with the Prius. I do expect i will replace it with another Prius as I like the 2016 re-design very much compared to other changes since I bought mine new in August 2003.

It's going to be different for everyone. For us we look at how reliable the car has been and if the cost of a repair is such that we will get our money's worth out of it. DW's car is a 91 pathfinder but it has low miles because she drove a Neon for a commute car while she was working and got rid of it when it was having trouble passing smog and was no longer reliable. My car is a 97 Integra GSR with 132K on it. I drive a lot less now since I try to ride my bike for short trips. Last year I put less than 2K on it. That said I just replaced the clutch. At the rate I am driving I expect multiple years of use still so the cost is going to be in the tens of dollars per year likely. It doesn't make sense for me to consider a new car at this point in time since I have no other issues with the car other than general wear issues (tires oil etc)

It's mostly a comfort level with reliability and when the balance tips (in my head) between paying for repairs and paying for a new car.

My 2004 Toyota Solara convertible has about 80K miles on it now, and I'm starting to look around. Problem is that I love driving a convertible, but Toyota stopped making the Solara (why?!?!?!?!?!?!), and there just don't seem to be many well made, comfortable convertibles at a low-mid price range (I choke at the thought of paying $50K+ for a car!). So I keep driving the one I have.

Back
Top Bottom