Sweet Spot, Living Where Low Taxes

Truth. I just signed up for five cents a KW today. 12 month contract for over 1000KW per month. I like being able to shop around for electric here in Houston.

Our largest monthly electric bill this year, in our 2,000 square foot home in Houston, has been about $160. That's with A/C on 24/7, two large refrigerators, two desktop computers on continuously, and DW's large oxygen concentrator running 24/7.

Our experience with ENRON made me wary of 'free market' utilities, particularly those out of Texas. Give me a public utility, or a franchised utility, buying from Bonneville Power any day. Can't beat Griffithee's rate, however.

Portland General: For residential customers, electricity rates are 5.9 cents per kilowatt-hour for the first 500 kWh, 7.6 cents per kWh between 501-1000 kWh and 8.4 cents over 1000 kWh. A residential customer using 900 kWh would have a monthly bill of just over $101.

Clark County, WA has a PUD, I thought that their rates would be lower: The residential electricity rate in Vancouver is 9.16¢/kWh plus a 'cost of service fee' of $12/mo.

In a normal year we don't use a lot of A/C.

I have a 5 ton 10 seer unit and live in TX. AC is literally on 18-20 hours in summer. Bill is under $300.
We're in California, near San Jose, see highs averaging in the 81-85 range June through September (some days in the 90s, some in the 70s), and we usually have at least two months where we top $300 electrical. 2,400 sq ft home. And a 10 SEER unit? Pretty inefficient.

Definitely curious because we're about to sell our house and move near Austin. Our only child moved there two years ago and loves it. Been with the company for three years, now an operations manager. Has been begging us to move there since Day 1. Probably going to hate the heat, despite having been born and raised in California's Central Valley.

Yeah, Texas is not the place to be. We have fire ants, snakes, cowboys and a few rednecks (not too many though). Please move to California where real estate ownership is a dream job and the weather is great. Every one is getting rich there!! And retirees are treated respectfully.;)
Where we're at in California is not as you described. Oh sure, my wife and I fared well in our careers and the weather is good. But the air quality is not, and the water quality leaves something to be desired (unless you live in southern California, in which case I stand corrected). Nothing worse than having a stretch of high 70 to high 80 days, and then see a lot of haze hiding the foothills. Lots of congestion. Surprisingly, a lot of unfriendly people here.

Oh wow .... I would definitely do a home audit energy and / or shop around energy rates. Houston is 6-10 cents per kilowatt hour.
I believe he has a pool. Another coworker went to his house for a party and IiRC told me something about a pool.

We're in California, near San Jose, see highs averaging in the 81-85 range June through September (some days in the 90s, some in the 70s), and we usually have at least two months where we top $300 electrical. 2,400 sq ft home. And a 10 SEER unit? Pretty inefficient.

Definitely curious because we're about to sell our house and move near Austin. Our only child moved there two years ago and loves it. Been with the company for three years, now an operations manager. Has been begging us to move there since Day 1. Probably going to hate the heat, despite having been born and raised in California's Central Valley.

Where we're at in California is not as you described. Oh sure, my wife and I fared well in our careers and the weather is good. But the air quality is not, and the water quality leaves something to be desired (unless you live in southern California, in which case I stand corrected). Nothing worse than having a stretch of high 70 to high 80 days, and then see a lot of haze hiding the foothills. Lots of congestion. Surprisingly, a lot of unfriendly people here.

I haven’t lived in Austin but doing a cursory property search while visiting, it’s one of the more expensive cities in Texas. Moving to the suburbs can cut down housing costs I’m sure. Be sure to check property tax rates as it will vary by county/school district/city (suburb). When I do FIRE, we will be looking to move out of TX. I find that the summer heat keeps me indoors more than I like to be. Tired of paying $7500 on property tax... I like the idea of WA except the idea of earthquake insurance with a 15-25% deductible scares me. High on our list is cooler and wetter (green) and not too rural (20 min drive to a decent sized city) ... oh and affordable. (Paradise on a budget :D)

I haven’t lived in Austin but doing a cursory property search while visiting, it’s one of the more expensive cities in Texas. Moving to the suburbs can cut down housing costs I’m sure. Be sure to check property tax rates as it will vary by county/school district/city (suburb). When I do FIRE, we will be looking to move out of TX. I find that the summer heat keeps me indoors more than I like to be. Tired of paying $7500 on property tax... I like the idea of WA except the idea of earthquake insurance with a 15-25% deductible scares me. High on our list is cooler and wetter (green) and not too rural (20 min drive to a decent sized city) ... oh and affordable. (Paradise on a budget :D)
Wife has been looking at Cedar Park and Leander, at least from a distance, although she did get to see parts of Cedar Park last October (when it was in the low 70s there, while near 90 a few days before Halloween here! LOL). It appears the properties taxes in some parts of Cedar Park are at a lower rate than in Austin.

The plan is to rent while looking for a place to purchase. Of course, if the weather gets to us, I am not sure what we would do. The main reason to move is because our only child wants us there. Having three indoor-only house cats just adds to the pain of moving long distance. Outside of weather, we have little desire to remain in California.

I guess everything is perspective. We're paying $10,500 for property tax right now, and it's only that low because of Prop 13 in California. I figure it is just a matter of time before Sacramento neuters Prop 13 and long-time homeowners start seeing accelerated property tax bills. I'm surprised they haven't gotten around to taxing Social Security like some states do.

We paid $300+ in our electric/natural gas bill on average three months per year during the last 6 years. Sometimes in the summer. Sometimes in the winter. Usually at least one month in each season with this cost. For a 2,400 sq ft home near San Jose. The weather is not that extreme here.

There is always the earthquake threat, poor air quality, massive congestion and getting worse. While the idea of hot Texas weather seems daunting from a distance, there is the relief of being able to cash out on our house while the real estate market here is still desirable (absolutely wonderful public schools in this area - definite plus).

While he have other assets to pull from, we're looking at netting $1.4M+ after capital gains taxes are paid on the sale of our house. Financially, I don't think Texas will be a big challenge.

Last edited:
And snakes and fireants...

Anyone on here from Wyoming?
I like the Tetons and Medicine Bow areas. How does Wyoming 'get ya'?

I believe annual auto registration fees are 1% of the original MSRP of the vehicle, but I felt it was well worth it, compared to everybody else.

I believe annual auto registration fees are 1% of the original MSRP of the vehicle, but I felt it was well worth it, compared to everybody else.

FLA has it backwards in this area. First time registration and license fees are ~$500. However, there is no car inspection going forward and thus many uninsured motorists.

Hi, neighbor!

PG&E rates top out at $0.37 per kwh last time I checked. I had one bill that topped $400 for a similar size one story house. Groundwater is what you get in the Bay Area unless you live in an area where your water comes from the Hetch Hetchy dam system. Lots of not nice chemicals in that water. Air quality is bad, not Inland Empire bad but getting there. I was happy to get out of the area for a week when the smoke from the fires was really bad. Still trying to recover from breathing the smoke for over a week.

Taxes are only part of the C and QOL equation.The Bay Area was a nice place to live up until the 80's. Not now.

Clearly total tax burden is not the same across all states, as some states finance more infrastructure or provide more services or have a more entrenched govt that keeps local taxes high. Just as overall COL is not the same across all states.

And it very much depends in the individual as well. I don’t cringe at my property taxes as housing outside of major metro areas in Texas is not very high compared to much of the country, and it is independent of my income which could create far higher state taxes.

Our experience with ENRON made me wary of 'free market' utilities, particularly those out of Texas. Give me a public utility, or a franchised utility, buying from Bonneville Power any day. Can't beat Griffithee's rate, however.

Not all Texas utilities are free market. Where we live (The Woodlands, TX), north side of Houston, we are not allowed to shop utility plans and are tied to Entergy out of Louisiana. Our rates are generally as low as the independents in the area.

Also, natural gas for us is with CenterPoint Energy and we have no other choices.

We just visited Tennessee(Fairfield Glade area) and found the property taxes to be very low, no income tax, and a dividend cap gains tax that is disappearing in 2021. Sales taxes are a little high, but at least you get to decide if the cost is worth it. My house in Illinois has 5400.00 property tax, same house in Tennessee would be around 750.00. Big difference and no way to get out of that one. Now if the wife would go along with the 4 golf courses and 7 fishing lakes, I would be set!!:dance:

VW

Now if the wife would go along with the 4 golf courses and 7 fishing lakes, I would be set!!:dance:

VW

Yeah, most wives are a stick in the mud. That's why I make wine; give them enough until they agree with your viewpoint, or drink enough until it becomes painless.:LOL:

Are there sweet-spots to live in US to get lower taxes?

For instance, living in FL-no income tax, but living near a border state that may have lower sales tax. Or low real-estate tax in the state but a border state has low sales tax.

The answer is obvious... see post #11... and pack your bags... you're moving to Alaska!

Enjoy those low state and local taxes!

The answer is obvious... see post #11... and pack your bags... you're moving to Alaska!

Enjoy those low state and local taxes!

And 1k monthly heating bills. :D

Our state taxes are pretty reasonable. Prop 13 certainly helps with that. We also get quite a bit of services for our money. Today we took our dog for a walk at a public park with a couple of lakes, a botanical garden, and pretty mountain views of a nearby state park, all mainly maintained with tax payer funding. We usually vote for most tax increases for parks, schools, public transportation as we feel we benefit from it.

Our state taxes are pretty reasonable. Prop 13 certainly helps with that. We also get quite a bit of services for our money. Today we took our dog for a walk at a public park with a couple of lakes, a botanical garden, and pretty mountain views of a nearby state park, all mainly maintained with tax payer funding. We usually vote for most tax increases for parks, schools, public transportation as we feel we benefit from it.

Might be a good idea to follow what happens to the money after you vote for the tax. Often it replaces money that is siphoned off for other uses. Or it is reserved and then borrowed from for those other uses. Rarely does the money go to enhance what you thought, based on the wording on the ballot.

Might be a good idea to follow what happens to the money after you vote for the tax. Often it replaces money that is siphoned off for other uses. Or it is reserved and then borrowed from for those other uses. Rarely does the money go to enhance what you thought, based on the wording on the ballot.

We've lived in lower tax states and we like what we get here in general for our tax dollars. I have a $20 a year senior parks pass for 110 state parks, many pretty spectacular, plus all sorts of state beaches, reserves, historical sites and more. Our regional libraries have 3D printers, Great Courses, Lynda.com, passes to around 50 cultural venues, classes and more. We have two regional parks passes with beautiful parks and beaches between them and probably 50 free activities every week.

The local senior centers are in very nice, newish buildings with free lunches, door to door transportation, classes and activities and all sorts of social services for the elderly. We don't use the lunches or transportation programs but it is nice they are there for others, and maybe some day we will use them ourselves. BART could be run better but it is still a nice option to have. Our kids went to very good public schools from K through college. DH and I went to community college and Berkeley Extension for tech classes. U.C. Berkeley has some pretty cool public programs and speakers especially for astronomy.

We think we get a really good deal in return for what we pay in taxes. It is worth every penny to us.

Back
Top Bottom