Join Early Retirement Today

SWR and inflation rate
Old 12-30-2010, 05:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SWR and inflation rate

Hello everyone

I was using my FIRE spreadsheet last night and lowered the inflation rate from 3% to 1.5%. The impact of this change on the amount I can withdraw over 45-50 years is significant.

My question - how does your SWR factor in inflation ?

This is my last post for 2010 (I am traveling again until Sunday), so best wishes for 2011 to everybody.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #2

Sensitivity to inflation rates, especially over longer time periods, is one of my greater concerns with early retirement. It's quite scary inputting higher rates of inflation into Firecalc and watching the success rate fall.

At the risk of being inducted into the tinfoil hat society, I do expect my personal cost of living to increase by more than official CPI numbers and elevate my inflation assumption accordingly. How much? I'm currently hoping that 4% as a base assumption will prove to be too high.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Huge. I sure wouldn't base expectations on the current rates.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Hello everyone

I was using my FIRE spreadsheet last night and lowered the inflation rate from 3% to 1.5%. The impact of this change on the amount I can withdraw over 45-50 years is significant.

My question - how does your SWR factor in inflation ?

This is my last post for 2010 (I am traveling again until Sunday), so best wishes for 2011 to everybody.
SWR doesn't factor in inflation. WR plus inflation plus tax needs to be equal to or less than total portfolio return. So, the safe WR needs to be less than total portfolio return less inflation.

A lower inflation rate has a significant positive impact on portfolio survivability. Lower inflation is a risky assumption, however, and the consequences of being wrong can be severe.

In general, inflation is trending lower in those areas that are most important to younger consumers (manufactured goods, low value services) and inflation is trending higher in those segments most important to retired folks - travel, professional services, high value services.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Underestimating inflation over the long term can be a real killer. Probably better to overestimate it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Don't make the mistake of using a constant inflation rate over your projected retirement period. Order of events matters. An "average" inflation rate of 3% resulting from greater than 3% early and less than 3% late will result in less favorable outcomes, by far, than an "average" inflation rate of 3% resulting from less than 3% inflation early and greater than 3% late.

Early high inflation is the survival rate killer, even if the "average" inflation rate for the tested period is a reasonable number, such as 3%. I'd much rather retire into a recession, which I did, than retire into a high inflation period such as the poor suckers who were wearing "WIN" badges during their intial retirement years in the 70's.

One of the niftiest features of FireCalc is that it calculates survival rates vs actual historical rates of inflation. It's a mistake to override this and plug in an "average" number.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #7

Does anyone use a different, higher inflation rate on health care costs than on living expenses in general? I always hear health care goes up faster than inflation in general, but how much faster?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Does anyone use a different, higher inflation rate on health care costs than on living expenses in general. I always hear health care goes up faster than inflation in general, but how much faster?
Absolutely. I haven't messed with firecalc much but I have a complex spreadsheet and healthcare goes up a lot more than inflation. Without doing any research - 8-12% wouldn't be unreasonable numbers right now. After 2014 with the new US healthcare, I have no idea what will happen.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

A more complicated topic than one might expect...

Using an average inflation rate for analysis can be somewhat helpful, but it does not reflect reality.

FIRECALC let's you do some what-if scenarios on inflation variable (historical PPI, CPI, or a fixed inflation rate). You should be able to runs some scenarios and see how it changes. This will probably be more realistic than you spreadsheet (assuming your spreadsheet is just factoring in TMV and not the fluctuations in the variables from year to year).
Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

We use 12% for healthcare inflation and that per the last four years has been right on. this is on top of 3.5% for inflation in general for all other items in the budget.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
We use 12% for healthcare inflation and that per the last four years has been right on. this is on top of 3.5% for inflation in general for all other items in the budget.
Is that a total inflation rate of 15.5% on health care, or do you mean you inflate health care at 12% and all other expenses at 3.5%?