Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

And speaking of grog: I found a good recipe for it on allrecipes.com, which I modified slightly: boil a cup of water*, add the juice of a lemon or lime, one lemon zinger tea bag and sugar to taste. Rum it up to your preference. Cane syrup is also good instead of sugar. Grog is my drink on miserable wet cold days, even though I haven't been sailing in decades. Yaaargh.

*Or substitute bilge water; pepper thoroughly to sink diesel fuel to the bottom of the glass.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Am I the only woman who lost a lot of sleep as a young girl, wondering how the heck I would land a man with a "living" to support me? I was socially retarded, academically gifted, so I read everything I could lay my hands on, but fixated on Jane Austen and other novels set in that time frame.
Thank heaven for the 20th century and the opportunity for a woman to make her own "living".
I have all the Patrick O'Brian novels on my bookshelf (the Aubrey/Maturin you refer to). I plan to go through them again sometime, just as I do all the John D. MacDonalds occasionally. But neither of those authors gave me fits wondering how I'd get by, because they're written from a man's perspective.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 AM   #43

Quote:
Am I the only woman who lost a lot of sleep as a young girl, wondering how the heck I would land a man with a "living" to support me?
I was raised with brothers and never even considered getting a man to support me until I was about 14. I always wished I was a boy then one day it dawned on me that being a female a man would work and give me his money.
When asked what I was going to do when I grew up I told my father I would marry a sailor and live on a houseboat. Tugboat Annie was my role model. I first considered living a life without work when a TV show giving away a million dollars was on TV. I computed that would give me $40,000 a year forever from the interest, my dad earned about $10,000. Funny most people thing get a million and you can buy things my first thought was living on the interest so it would last.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
*Or substitute bilge water; pepper thoroughly to sink diesel fuel to the bottom of the glass.
Don't have to worry about diesel fuel in the bilge water if it's one of them old sailing vessels - or even one of the modern ones as long as the motor is outboard only!

But ugh - lot's of other nasty stuff in that bilge water

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
I computed that would give me $40,000 a year forever from the interest, my dad earned about $10,000. Funny most people thing get a million and you can buy things my first thought was living on the interest so it would last.
Born to ER...
ESRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob View Post
I'd be curious if there are an inordinate number of 18th and 19th century European literature/lifestyle fans around ER circles....
I was always partial to the adventurous lifestyle of 18-19th century.

I would be part of another niche ER fan group influenced by a more recent, though still nostalgic lifestyle. Call it the "Beach Bum, Counterculture" influence (well, you get the picture). More impacted by music than books. Not so much a classic gentleman's life of upper-class leisure but a far more simple life of perpetual (mostly) ER in an idyllic location, or just vagabonding through a whole bunch of them.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob View Post
Born to ER...
Get your motor running...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
I was always partial to the adventurous lifestyle of 18-19th century.
I can only imagine what a Livingstone, Byrd, or Hillary could do with 21st-century technology. I bet they'd heal a lot faster, too...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote