Join Early Retirement Today

SWR - I've read many posts but still confused
Old 10-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

SWR - I've read many posts but still confused

I thought I knew how to handle the 4% SWR but after reading a few threads and many posts I am confused. I am math dumb so please bear with me.
Here's my hypothetical example. I start retirement with a 60/40 portfolio worth 800k. My first year's withdrawal is 32k.
In year 2, say the portfolio is worth 840k. Do I:
a) take out 4% of 840k, or
b) 32k plus adjusted for inflation.

Now I believe the answer is b) so now my question is:
In year 2, if the CPI is 2.5%, do I take 2.5% of the 32k, or 800K or 840K?
Thank you in advnace for your help.
Larry
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

b) 32k plus adjusted for inflation.
In your example, your year two draw would be 32.8K (32k + 2.5% of 32K)

If you haven't read this thread, I think it might help.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ate-19234.html
Old 10-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

I believe the 2nd and subsequent year amounts are adjusted for inflation.

So:
1st Year: $32,000
2nd year: $32,000 + 2.5/100*32000 = $32,800
3rd year: $32800 + 2.5/100*32800 = $33,620

And so on.....
maxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I thought you could also just take 4% from your new amount .Say year one you have I,000,000 so you can take $40,000 .Next year your portfolio has risen to 1,100,000 so you can now take $44,000 ?? Is this correct ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I thought you could also just take 4% from your new amount .Say year one you have I,000,000 so you can take $40,000 .Next year your portfolio has risen to 1,100,000 so you can now take $44,000 ?? Is this correct ?

You could do that and be 100% guaranteed of not running out of money. However the problem is when the market drops. For example if the portfolio dropped to 600k, could you live on 24k.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

The way I am seeing is the 32k figure is your fixed expenses/living allowance which is adjusted for inflation.

If your portfolio does better, I suppose you can take the higher amount but then it works the other way too i.e. what if your portfolio does poorly?

I think staying focused on the Fixed expense/Living allowance adjusted for inflation is probably the wiser choice - but to each his own.
maxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
That is not how the SWR rule works. It it as described above.

After year 1 you may end up taking more or less than 4% each year depending on how the portfolio is performing. The idea is that you have a predictable and stable income. Taking 4% every year of the total will give a variable income.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I"ve got it!
Thanks to all
Larry
Old 10-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxer View Post
The way I am seeing is the 32k figure is your fixed expenses/living allowance which is adjusted for inflation.

If your portfolio does better, I suppose you can take the higher amount but then it works the other way too i.e. what if your portfolio does poorly?

I think staying focused on the Fixed expense/Living allowance adjusted for inflation is probably the wiser choice - but to each his own.
When you start to vary the withdrawl based on portfolio performance, you venture into Guyton territory. I am personally planning a 4% SWR for my "gotta have" expenses and adjust my travel and extras on Guyton. If the market tanks, my vacation budget tanks; but if things stay strong, I'm living it up. I'm also planning on a shorter time period for this part of my portfolio. I'm pretty sure I won't be very interested in taking extended exotic trips when I'm 85.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
I'm pretty sure I won't be very interested in taking extended exotic trips when I'm 85.
You might want to check into Elderhostels & cruise ships... especially the Elderhostels on cruise ships.

It's a big business, and I'm sure those organizations have comprehensive detailed plans on what to do when their customers wake up dead on the second morning.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote