Join Early Retirement Today
Re: SWR of 6.21% for 26 years
Old 03-19-2005, 03:43 AM   #241
Moderator Emeritus

John, I know your circumstances and that they are different than mine, but I found your last post very comforting. Somehow I have this basic insecurity that we will "lose it all" and will be in no position to go back to work.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2005, 04:00 AM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Running out of retirement funds and having the health to enjoy it are the two emotional touchstones - probably for all retiree's. They are always in the background - I won't use JG's Al Pacino quote - but managing risk is part of life - easy to say - so each ER has to come to his/her own version.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 04:17 AM   #243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like JG's attitude. To philosophize, right attitude will trump bad circumstances most of the time and bad attitude can defeat good circumstances or at least keep you from enjoying your good fortune.

That said, one of the reasons I stayed at MegaCorp was to get that other pension; one of the reasons I stayed in military was to cover healthcare. I remember a friend of the family during the 50s lose everything to the doctor bills, and he was a hard-working individual. I am an exercise fanatic and although that's no guarantee, it doesn't hurt.

I've lost in the Index Funds this year, but can remain where I am because of the pensions, healthcare, and a good supply of cash. If all of that goes, then JG's attitude and maybe even his prescriptions are the way to go. And to paraphrase Martha, I'll go back to work if necessary. I worked for 43 years, so, if necessary another couple should be easy.

Resist much. Obey Little. . . . Ed Abbey

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote