Synthetic GIC what is it ?

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Small 401k from a long ago mega-corp job, has changed the stable value fund. Used to be invested in Guaranteed Investment Contracts spread among over a dozen insurance companies, and banks. , short term paper, etc.

The new fund prospectus says it is 4% cash and 96% " Synthetic GIC's" thru one foreign bank.

I have a rough idea of how " Synthetic CDO'S " work , so what the heck is a Synthetic GIC ?

For lack of a better term - Side bets among financial institutions ?

A synthetic gic is a pile of very conservative bonds wrapped with a guarantee from a highly rated financial institution. Also called stable value wraps. I think these are generally less risky than actual gics, formerly the mainstay of the stable value world.

The more complicated the offering, the more likely it was designed to make money for the seller, not the buyer. I would not even bother to try to understand it. I'd just stay away.

If you like the stable value fund in your plan, I would not let the use of synthetic gics keep you from using it. They are less risky than traditional gics.

What is the current rate? That would help me decide to invest or stay away. Our SVF slid all the way to 1.6% and lately rose a bit to 2%. There are better risk free options these days.

Thanks Brewer,

Now I'm not concerned.

Anytime I see something I don't understand, alarm bells go off........

Back
Top Bottom