Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
Going to pursue either a FMLA or Personal Leave to sort this all out. My health has been horribly affected by all this and quite frankly it's a miracle I'm still here to talk about it. That is, once I can freaking get a damn Dr. appointment.
I’m NOT a doctor, but you should get to urgent/immediate care ASAP.

Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I hear ya guys..I'm "very" slightly above my comfort level # and have a gazillion house repair and tax payments to make. It's not logical but purely psychological - I want the buffer to cover those expenses and stay north of the "safe" (to me) number. I also want to take DW to Africa to see the animals - it's our dream and going to cost probably $20K+ alone. Makes no sense to hold out for every last $ I can, but that's just me - totally illogical at times.

That said, I told my wife yesterday that I "feel like I'm signing my (career) death certificate" by leaving. 54 yo white guy. No job prospects. I've seen this movie and it does not end well.

Wife responded by saying "you're signing your ACTUAL death certificate by not leaving".

Wise words but this has been an excruciating move to make. Those who have suggested I need counseling by smart people with a bunch of fancy letters after their name are probably right. I clearly have security issues.
Honestly though what are they going to "do to you" if you decline the 5 hour meeting or work 8 hours a day ? $10K is not worth your health and are they really going to try to fire someone who already retired ?

limeyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
Now it's about $10k? Did the stock tank in the last 3 weeks?
No - I vest multiple times per quarter (already vested the bulk of them for this Q) and the remaining shares this quarter are about net $10K after sale of shares to pay taxes. There's still a pretty good amount of unvested shares to vest in future quarters that is the heavy six figures part.
RetireSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #104

I think most of us understand this is 100% psychological. We've all given you practical ways to handle this, but you are not able to look at them objectively and seem embedded, anchored, in your situation. (and before you wave us off, most of us posting have been there, done that, and gotten out regardless).

That's why I said I think somewhere deep down there's something you must really love about it. Not on a conscious level. But with no practical reason to be there, a mental one is the only thing that makes sense. (10k is NOT it when you counter that you believe you are hastening your death).

You've also hesitated these past few pages to post the vest date, because you are not sure of yourself, and want to avoid the "it's after MM/DD why haven't you...." posts that will follow.
Aerides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok man, I am giving up and going to stay out of it. Do what you want, and ignore the advice of all the me too'ers here. Let us know how it works out, if you survive.

Ok, that sounds maybe too harsh, but I do genuinely wish you the best!
Old 08-09-2018, 11:59 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Living? Sounds to me like your job is killing you. Why hold out for $10k, to pay for your headstone? Get the hell out now.
+1
Vincenzo Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, gang..quick update..

Last of Q3 stock vests today, so am planning on pulling the plug on Monday.

Has really been a tough decision but the situation is beyond unreasonable. I did hear rumors (pretty well placed source) that our Director "is in trouble" and might either be leaving voluntarily or be asked to leave, but even that won't fix the underlying fundamental problems. He's just a foot soldier doing what the higher ups want, which is where all the trouble originates.

Latest examples..

- EVP asked Director to tell us he wants "linearity" in our business - ie: drive sales on a monthly basis, not quarterly. Problem is - we do large ($100K-$1M) deals and those have long (6-12 month salescycles) and work on the CUSTOMER'S timeframe, not the timeframe WE want. I guess I missed the memo where we all received new super-powers to be able to control our customers to the point we can force them to buy when WE want them to buy.

- We have to do quarterly training, and all of us are behind on it (ie - missed the due date). So, manager sends out an email this AM saying he tried to get us out of it but no luck and we'll all still need to do. Here's the great part - he said "guess I'll be doing it this weekend because I don't have any time during the week" - ie: YOU ALL should ALSO do it this weekend. Um, that'd be no. I'm not working 60-80 hours a week AND also giving up the only free time I get during the week to do a training. These people are seriously disconnected from reality.

I can't really seem to get myself over the hump on this and am having some pretty strong panic attacks just thinking about bailing. But it's abundantly obvious things can't continue the way they are.

More to come I'm sure.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #108

RetireSoon, we hope your conversation to "pull the plug" on Monday goes well and you hold off on those panic attacks. It's definitely a scary thing to do, but you need to do what is best for the rest of your life. Good luck and keep us posted!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Hey, gang..quick update..

I can't really seem to get myself over the hump on this and am having some pretty strong panic attacks just thinking about bailing. But it's abundantly obvious things can't continue the way they are.

More to come I'm sure.
I was amazed at how much relief I got when I finally gave notice. But I gave too much notice (5 months) and in typical megacorp fashion, I'm leaving in 10 working days and now they're panicking. So I'm stressing now too, but I can handle anything for 10 days. Knowing it will be completely over in short fashion is keeping me sane.

The quicker you give notice, and the shorter it is, the better. Get the hell outta Dodge and relax and rejuvenate! You owe it to yourself - you owe them nothing.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Forget about the why’s now. You’re outta there! Congratulations
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #111
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Forget about the why’s now. You’re outta there!
+1

Life will get much better once you learn how to put all that cr*p behind you - the sooner the better. Not your problem any more, stop wallowing in the drama! Get on with living.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Do it today and enjoy your weekend. If you wait until Monday, you’ll fret about it all weekend. If they walked you out today, you’d still vest your options...you made it! Go talk to the boss now and start planning that trip with your wife.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
Do it today and enjoy your weekend. If you wait until Monday, you’ll fret about it all weekend. If they walked you out today, you’d still vest your options...you made it! Go talk to the boss now and start planning that trip with your wife.
Not sure about that..they could make my term date today, in which case I'd probably forfeit the RSUs (at least per my read of the agreement).

ETA - you're absolutely right about fretting all weekend. I've never been so stressed out of my mind in my entire life and I just want it all to end. I'm not sleeping well. Drinking too much. Basically freaking the F out. Feeling like I've failed my life and walking out with my tail between my legs even though that's illogical and DW keeps reminding me how lucky I am to be able to retire just this side of 55. Aside from that, all is good.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:24 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm looking forward to following your post-j*b success story and adventures. Good luck!
Carpediem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

I did talk with a very good buddy of mine who's in the same business as me..he's turning 62 this year and still able to get interviews. He hates his job also and is interviewing next week in fact. So, that does give me hope (where I previously had little) that it's not too late in life to make a move. He suggested I take a few months off..get my passion back..and make another run at it. Still don't know if I'll actually be "done" with this all or not when I leave, but I've looked for a gig with no job before, and it is HARD. And here I'm willingly putting my head in the guillotine. WTF is wrong with me?
Old 08-18-2018, 01:08 AM   #116
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I did talk with a very good buddy of mine who's in the same business as me..he's turning 62 this year and still able to get interviews. He hates his job also and is interviewing next week in fact. So, that does give me hope (where I previously had little) that it's not too late in life to make a move. He suggested I take a few months off..get my passion back..and make another run at it. Still don't know if I'll actually be "done" with this all or not when I leave, but I've looked for a gig with no job before, and it is HARD. And here I'm willingly putting my head in the guillotine. WTF is wrong with me?

My hope for you is that you will quit your job and enjoy your time off so much, you never go back to work.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #117
Full time employment: Posting here.

RetireSoon, where are you? Whatcha doin'?

SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote