T minus ~30 days

That was the best possible decision you could have made.

Now every day until the last one gets easier and easier.

Really happy for you.

All the best, RetireSoon. Exit, stage left to a much better lifestyle!

Quick update as I work to 'exit stage left'..

Friday was great. Initial relief at finally making the tough decision. Spent the better part of the day just doing fun, mostly outside things to at least partly decompress. Was still PO'd at Director guy who hired me that I still report to not calling, but he did text me at the end of the day to say he understood I was taking some time off and didn't want to bother me - and that we'd talk Monday. Which takes us to..

Monday, decent and mostly positive call with Director. Told me I probably made the right decision. Has been concerned about me and "knew I was probably near my breaking point". But did ask that I consider an "extended transition" which was basically management speak for "holy crap, I'm going to be screwed on MY quarterly sales attainment if you leave now. Please stay at least through the end of the quarter so I don't get fired for missing my number again after the dismal Q2 we had". He also dangled a carrot that he thought there might be something for me in a different group in the company where I wouldn't have to have a "number" I was responsible for - but that group is basically a support group that wouldn't change a core problem I had, and that's total overload. There's only 2 other people supporting dozens of field people - and you can guess what kind of fun that probably is.

I did consider saying I'd stay on not just through EOQ but through November RSU vest as that'd be roughly another $50K in the piggy bank between salary, bonus and stock - but I just don't think I can do another 85+ days of this at this point.

Seeing what they come back with but the last couple days has been a living hell. I came in Monday at my usual 7:30 time and worked my tail off all day - just I always do, and like nothing had changed. Ditto Tuesday. Just about everyone knows now, and I've had to basically tell people that yeah, I resigned - and don't have anything lined up. Couple interesting comments - "I totally respect what you did" (after I said I needed to get my life back and get off the hamster wheel) and "I wish I had the courage to do something like that". EVERYONE in this company works 24x7. It truly is a sweatshop and there isn't a person who isn't totally burned out and fried to a crisp.

I was probably still in a bit of shock Friday and over the weekend. But it really hit me like a freaking FREIGHT TRAIN last night what this all means, and even though I have a very good plan the psychological part of this is starting to get a bit (OK, a lot) overwhelming and I'm an emotional basket case. My manager asked me on Monday when we talked if I "felt better" after having made the decision but I actually told him no, I felt like crap which I did. I loved my job and was really good at it - it just became totally unreasonable. It's not a choice I "wanted" to make. It's a choice I HAD to make to get my life, happiness and health back.

While the additional money and HC through Nov would be nice, I was SO out the door on Friday that I can't quite wrap my head around the concept of an "extended transition" or taking on another gig. Am most likely going to keep on course and speed but the past few days have been rough, oddly enough. Hoping it gets a LOT better when I finally do my last day. Wishing I had been smart enough to just pack it up the day I told them. Oh well.

Last edited:
Well it's a week later, what's happening?

Yep..resigned at end of August. They wanted me to do an "extended transition" and made it pretty financially compelling to do so. We went back and forth on whether that would mean end of quarter (good for them and what they really wanted so my leaving wouldn't torpedo their quarter as I had a huge pipeline of sales opportunities worth some real $$ to them in terms of revenue) or to next RSU vest (obviously good for me). At first they were insistent that they could only do EOQ but we've since come to agreement on next vest. It's only a few more weeks (OK, 6) past end of quarter but very financially compelling since DW is also retiring. I can literally pay for 2+ years of the "Affordable" Care Act premiums plus on the extra dough. So, even though it is no fun whatsoever am gritting my teeth and slogging it out..

It's really weird, though, as everyone knows I've resigned. So I'm neither in or out..I'm just..in the purgatory middle somewhere.

Problem is, I can't just "coast" to my departure date. Just not wired that way. So I'm working just as hard as I otherwise would and there's just as much politics and stress as always. Yay. This week particularly sucked and made me wonder what I agreed to..

I keep going back and forth on whether it is truly "worth it" but 2+ years of HC premiums with $$ left over (or whatever else we'd buy with the $$s) is pretty compelling.

Congratulations! Glad for you that you pulled the plug. Realize you still have several weeks but with a publicly announced end date, things should get easier as time passes.

Congratulations! Glad for you that you pulled the plug. Realize you still have several weeks but with a publicly announced end date, things should get easier as time passes.

Sure hope so. These last 2 weeks have felt like 2 YEARS. Can't imagine what the next 8 weeks will be like.

At least I'm "transitioning" (why does that sound wrong? :)) in my own time and not cutting off the W-2 income stream cold turkey. I do get some time to gradually exit vs somewhat or immediate leaving and "thought" that'd work out better. But it's literally like I never even resigned and has been the exact same it's been (ie: hell). Stupid on my part and probably not "worth" the $$.

We did agree that I was going to dial back my responsibilities and it was not "supposed" to continue to be so stressful. So I'm hoping once we are out of Q3 and into Q4 that things will simmer down some. It's a win for them also as it is going to take someone a LONG time to come up to speed (6 months minimum) and any of my Q3 deals that slip to Q4 I'll still be around to help bring in. So, win win - but I was SO "done" at end of August that it's putting me in an even weirder mental place also..

Sure hope so. These last 2 weeks have felt like 2 YEARS. Can't imagine what the next 8 weeks will be like.

At least I'm "transitioning" (why does that sound wrong? :)) in my own time and not cutting off the W-2 income stream cold turkey. I do get some time to gradually exit vs somewhat or immediate leaving and "thought" that'd work out better. But it's literally like I never even resigned and has been the exact same it's been (ie: hell). Stupid on my part and probably not "worth" the $$.

We did agree that I was going to dial back my responsibilities and it was not "supposed" to continue to be so stressful. So I'm hoping once we are out of Q3 and into Q4 that things will simmer down some. It's a win for them also as it is going to take someone a LONG time to come up to speed (6 months minimum) and any of my Q3 deals that slip to Q4 I'll still be around to help bring in. So, win win - but I was SO "done" at end of August that it's putting me in an even weirder mental place also..

I guess it not's really a win-in since your stress level hasn't dropped a bit. But you signed up voluntarily for the extension. It's sounds like your body doesn't agree with the decision your mind made...Hope you make it to you end date and don't keep extending.

Hi, this is the first story I ever saw on this forum. So did you finally retire or are you still trying to get some kind of bonus or benefit from your employer?

Yep - retired first week of Jan at the ripe old age of 55 and left a small fortune in unvested RSUs on the table (oh well!). Have been updating in a separate thread.

Am two months in to ER at this point and it's increasingly "weird". The first month and a half, I had some health issues that required I do a lot of Dr. and PT visits. Also had some major dental to complete. Now that's all behind me, there's a lot of empty hours to fill..

Also had one of my key sources of income (CTL dividends) go "kaput". Well, not entirely kaput, but cut by 54%. That was good times, about a month in. Stupid me, but I wound up with a bunch of CTL shares being a former LVLT shareholder and held for the dividends - which were a big part of my planned income. Now, that's significantly reduced, and to add insult to injury, the stock is cratering also. Just SWELL!

In a weird way, I do miss certain aspects about w*rk. Not the stress or the totally ridiculous expectations and politics, but feeling like I'm accomplishing something worthwhile. (You can only spend so many hours a day working on your financial plan, going to the Senior Center (!) and similar before you go bat-crap crazy..) Also weird that almost no-one calls/gives a rat's patookie what I'm doing, which is a VERY weird feeling and maybe the hardest part. It's almost like I don't exist any longer to most of them..So, still working on that part of things..

Last edited:
Awesome, congratulations! 55 seems like a good age. That's my target but we'll see. My job is ok for now, since I travel and don't have to spend time in a cubicle 9-5. I'm sure you will find fun worthwhile activities to fill your time with.

Awesome, congratulations! 55 seems like a good age. That's my target but we'll see. My job is ok for now, since I travel and don't have to spend time in a cubicle 9-5. I'm sure you will find fun worthwhile activities to fill your time with.

How much further for you to get to 55?

In a weird way, I do miss certain aspects about w*rk. Not the stress or the totally ridiculous expectations and politics, but feeling like I'm accomplishing something worthwhile.

Funny pointless busy work is one of the things that makes me want to retire. I am very busy - survived a layoff but was moved to a new part of IT that makes me feel rather ill - can't apply for anything within company until a year has passed and don't plan to leave before I qualify for the retiree health insurance. To me it is not an accomplishment no matter how much I "do". Seems a waste of my life.

This was my experience when I was 51, 12 years before I actually retired. It may or may not be useful to OP.

I had a high level job that was in a very dysfunctional nonprofit, with an Executive Director having what proved to be an emotional breakdown. During that summer while they searched for her successor, I did or oversaw all the administrative things for the company-- while another was named as Interim ED. (More jobs, no more money!). By the end of the summer, I had had it. I was not only leaving the company, I was going to retire.

I boasted to my friends that I had enough money and that I didn't need to take one more day of pain. More than one friend told me in no uncertain terms that I was making a mistake. Not because I did not have enough money, but because I was jumping from 0 to 100 on this decision. Leaving the nonprofit; fine. Leaving my usual field of work; OK. But those who knew me best said I still had a lot to give and I was shortchanging the world, but more, myself, by just dropping everything.

Over the next 12 years I worked part time for another agency. When being an employee for someone else no longer spoke to me, I became a consultant in private practice. I served 20 nonprofits, and yes, i will claim that I "saved" at least two from org death. When I retired from nonprofits in 2016, I had proven to myself that I was not a fake. That I knew a lot that was worth being paid for. And most of all, that I had personal power. When I left the field, I did it on my time, for my own reasons and with a real sense of completion.

The moral: This is a biased group. We don't know you and your unique situation. I suggest you talk to those family and friends who really know you and you really trust to tell you the truth.They can help you make a decision here that is not based primarily or solely (?) on emotion, at a time you may be tired and under stress. Taking their words may speak to your good for years.

Last edited:
How much further for you to get to 55?

I'm 43 so I have a ways to go. I think we surpassed the 1M net worth but I"m not ready to pull the trigger yet. Still have 2 young children to raise. I love reading stories of people who show the middle finger to the corporate world and leave on their terms at a relatively young age. I work with some late 50's early 60's guys and they are nowhere near thinking about retirement. I guess they let w*rk define who they are.

I'm 43 so I have a ways to go. I think we surpassed the 1M net worth but I"m not ready to pull the trigger yet. Still have 2 young children to raise. I love reading stories of people who show the middle finger to the corporate world and leave on their terms at a relatively young age. I work with some late 50's early 60's guys and they are nowhere near thinking about retirement. I guess they let w*rk define who they are.

Don't think for a minute the guys in late 50's early 60's don't think about retirement . It is like that song when you go to work !Sometimes I think it's a sin When I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again. Same reason you go back and purchase another car from a lot that ripped you off... You think your going to get even on the next deal. As time goes on you think you will walk the earth forever.

Slepp

Back
Top Bottom