Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2018, 04:17 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Amen! I gave five months notice and am really regretting it. I'm a few weeks out and NOW they are saying "oh $hit she's leaving. How do you do your job again?"
You too?

3 weeks out and panic is setting in.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still not clear as to how many days of work you have left. If it's before the end of the month, YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT!

Pick out some kind of mantra and keep repeating it. Have a vision for the first couple of days after work - even if it's just having 3 rapid drinks after your last commute and then going limp for two days. Then have something more active after that. Enlist your spouse. Beg for some extra pampering from spouse these last couple of weeks. Favorite foods, nice music, completely undemanding television shows. Promise to make it up to spouse afterwards.

At the 5 hour meeting, quietly play bullshit bingo - you can generate more cards, which you will need for a 5 hour meeting https://www.bullshitbingo.net/cards/bullshit/

Hey, ask your spouse to help with the famous "Three things I will/won't do in the future list." Have spouse make up some of them. Or enlist your megacorp peer veterans here. I'll bet they could come up with a splendid list, serious on top, derisive underneath.

In fact, even though I'm not megacorp, I'll start

1) From now on, I will view [X function of my job] from an end-to-end perspective rather than focusing solely on the immediate outcome.

Megacorp veterans? Can you suggest an all-purpose entry for OP's list of "Three things I will stop doing, and Three Things I will Do Differently" list? Something that will absolutely roll in Corporate Territory?
Old 08-08-2018, 01:32 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds like taking it easier and not responding to outside pressure is not an option for you. So you've got 10 days of hell to get through, people hammering you for responses and not enough time to do it. So you are in triage mode. Keep track of all tasks that have been asked of you in a prioritized list, or maybe to make it even easier just make it a first in first out list. Every time a new request comes in, put it on the list, and tell whoever is asking for it that you have x things to get done first and then you'll get to it. If they scream about it let them, you can't control others' actions. Tell them their request is in the queue and it will be done. Long term results and outcome of your work doesn't matter to you, you'll be gone before they are realized. Just keep moving through the list.

All the while keep the number of how much your vesting is going to pay you in your mind. If you are losing it, think of that number, and ask yourself, is putting up with this for x more days worth y more dollhairs? If so then keep at it, if not then walk out. The tradeoff will get better every day.
mrWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #84

What is the exact date of vesting?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #85

Hey gang..so today really sucked. Got asked to do a five hour meeting (really?!) with next to no notice. Sure am glad I only had my daily ski lessons on the docket for today or I would have been in real trouble </sarc>.

Called my Doc to make an appt and was told they can't get me in for TWO WEEKS. REALLY?!! TWO WEEKS? I might be dead by then.

Going to pursue either a FMLA or Personal Leave to sort this all out. My health has been horribly affected by all this and quite frankly it's a miracle I'm still here to talk about it. That is, once I can freaking get a damn Dr. appointment.

It just keeps getting better and better...NOT.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #86

Oh, and FWIW..the next vesting is not worth that much. Not like six figures or anything. A bit over $10K. But I want that $10K for all the gazillion of house expenses and estimated taxes I need to pay. After all..I'm going to be living on a very limited income soon.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #87

Good advice on the triage, and I've been attempting exactly that. Has not worked. Everyone thinks you can do 10-20 things at once. I tell people what's in the queue and apologize to them that I can't do 10-20 things at once yet it keeps coming at me faster than I can respond.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireSoon View Post
Oh, and FWIW..the next vesting is not worth that much. Not like six figures or anything. A bit over $10K. But I want that $10K for all the gazillion of house expenses and estimated taxes I need to pay. After all..I'm going to be living on a very limited income soon.
Living? Sounds to me like your job is killing you. Why hold out for $10k, to pay for your headstone? Get the hell out now.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:42 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Living? Sounds to me like your job is killing you. Why hold out for $10k, to pay for your headstone? Get the hell out now.
+1
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #90

I hear ya guys..I'm "very" slightly above my comfort level # and have a gazillion house repair and tax payments to make. It's not logical but purely psychological - I want the buffer to cover those expenses and stay north of the "safe" (to me) number. I also want to take DW to Africa to see the animals - it's our dream and going to cost probably $20K+ alone. Makes no sense to hold out for every last $ I can, but that's just me - totally illogical at times.

That said, I told my wife yesterday that I "feel like I'm signing my (career) death certificate" by leaving. 54 yo white guy. No job prospects. I've seen this movie and it does not end well.

Wife responded by saying "you're signing your ACTUAL death certificate by not leaving".

Wise words but this has been an excruciating move to make. Those who have suggested I need counseling by smart people with a bunch of fancy letters after their name are probably right. I clearly have security issues.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #91

You have used the terms Dying, Killing me, Death, etc., multiple times.... and yet you're holding out for....10k?

You can't be serious. Either you are exaggerating the health aspect (not likely given your quote from your wife) or you have something else keeping you at that job that you must, deep down, really really love. And, sadly, if that is the case, I predict we'll all be reading your next thread, when the next vesting comes up, in another 90 days... and again...and again... etc.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:13 PM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.

RetireSoon, so you are saying that with near record unemployment, you would not be able to get another (part-time even maybe) job at 54 (after a short mental health recovery break), if needed? Come on!

Even at half your current salary, it would give you stress relief and let you earn a few more bucks until you are ready to really quit.

Can you live on DW's salary alone for a bit?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
RetireSoon, so you are saying that with near record unemployment, you would not be able to get another (part-time even maybe) job at 54 (after a short mental health recovery break), if needed? Come on!

Even at half your current salary, it would give you stress relief and let you earn a few more bucks until you are ready to really quit.

Can you live on DW's salary alone for a bit?

DW is 60 and had a near fatal heart attack (living with me, I guess) a couple years back..it's time for her to retire and play in her garden. It's actually one of my greatest failings that I have not been able to get us to the point she can do that comfortably.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:58 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
You have used the terms Dying, Killing me, Death, etc., multiple times.... and yet you're holding out for....10k?

You can't be serious. Either you are exaggerating the health aspect (not likely given your quote from your wife) or you have something else keeping you at that job that you must, deep down, really really love. And, sadly, if that is the case, I predict we'll all be reading your next thread, when the next vesting comes up, in another 90 days... and again...and again... etc.

I absolutely AM serious. I went through multiple layoffs ~10 years ago and the terror of not having a W-2 income is very fresh in my mind to this date. Walking away - on my OWN CHOICE from a pretty significant W-2 is terrifying.

Seems like a lot of you here miss the pyschological aspect of all this.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #95

Quote:
DW is 60 and had a near fatal heart attack (living with me, I guess) a couple years back..it's time for her to retire and play in her garden. It's actually one of my greatest failings that I have not been able to get us to the point she can do that comfortably.
Stop beating yourself up. Know that we are cheering for you. We all want a happy ending to this and we have confidence that you have the skill set and knowledge/info to get you there. Hang in there for a few more days? less than 10 right? Don't sell yourself short. You have obviously accomplished a lot in life and it's time to turn to the next chapter. I think it will be a great chapter. Keep posting. We are all hoping for the best. Good luck.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #96

Quote:
I think most here get the psychological aspect of this (I'm planning to work through two weeks past December 31, just to get the $4K company match, and then the two weeks in January will pay for new laptops....it's purely psychological. I'm already 1.5 years ahead of where I thought I would be by now. Seriously, if you have the $, just bail!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #97

Quote:
I absolutely AM serious. I went through multiple layoffs ~10 years ago and the terror of not having a W-2 income is very fresh in my mind to this date. Walking away - on my OWN CHOICE from a pretty significant W-2 is terrifying.

Totally get the pychological aspect. I bet your resume is solid. Headhunters will love you after you take a few months off. Good luck.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went through something like this over 20 years ago. The company seemed to be failing, people jumping ship, horrible atmosphere. I left and it put me on my journey of starting my own business, so it turned out to be a huge opportunity for me.
However, after a year or two, the people that stayed and pushed through were also rewarded with bonuses and promotions. They were looked at as heroes and the ones who got the job done. So leaving is your choice, but staying just might prove to have its rewards as well. It’s all a mental game now.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I'm also walking away from heavy six figure stock vests to do so, but the money doesn't do me any good dead.

Now it's about $10k? Did the stock tank in the last 3 weeks?
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
What is the exact date of vesting?

Bump. I'd really like to know
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote