Join Early Retirement Today

T Rowe Price Portfolio Manager gone bad?
Old 08-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

T Rowe Price Portfolio Manager gone bad?

Does anyone use this?

Investment Tools: Portfolio Manager - T. Rowe Price

I have been using this for a few years and have a ton of info in it. It has been available for free even if you aren't a TRP customer which I am not.

Just now I went to update it for month end and I can't get to my portfolio. I see some listing of stocks that I'm guessing is some default that they are using because they blew away these portfolios we set up for free on their website but aren't customers? I clicked on different things but I can't find my data.

If you use this are you able to access your data? If yes what address are you using?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I clicked the link and TRP wants me to log in. No thanks./

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #3

If you have a portfolio you have to login. It's when I login I see something that isn't mine and the question is have you (plural) lost yours or is it at a different location? I'd like to find it as I put a lot of time into it over the years.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Works for me. I used this URL to get there: T. Rowe Price - Corporate Home

Closer inspection shows it has "doubled" some of my holdings. For example, instead of 500 shares of X, it says I have two positions of X, 500 shares each. I have several portfolios in the portfolio manager there, so at first it displayed one of my other portfolios unexpectedly. I had to select my "default" portfolio that I am used to seeing.

I'll give them a few days to see if they fix this before I make any changes in the portfolio. In the meantime, I will enjoy the 50% increase in net worth while it lasts.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
In the meantime, I will enjoy the 50% increase in net worth while it lasts.
Love it!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #6

Quote:
I'll give them a few days to see if they fix this before I make any changes in the portfolio. In the meantime, I will enjoy the 50% increase in net worth while it lasts.
That's one way to FIRE!
Old 09-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Works for me. I used this URL to get there: T. Rowe Price - Corporate Home
Do you actually have an account with money at TRP? The reason I ask is because I don't, this is just something I found a link to years ago. It allowed anyone to enter their info into Portfolio Manager.

I just tried my usual way and your link and both take me to the BS portfolio that isn't mine, probably just a dummy or sample profile. I never owned these individual stocks it's all mutual funds and way more money than they show by a factor of about 3 times.

I am thinking they blew this option away for people like me who don't have an account with them but if you have an account with them them it is still intact, though maybe you made 100% since the last look!

Too bad it was handy to track AA and return. I can live without it but had I know this would happen I'd never spent so much time entering data from years ago about 2 years ago to get a valid result on the returns.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Do you actually have an account with money at TRP? The reason I ask is because I don't, this is just something I found a link to years ago. It allowed anyone to enter their info into Portfolio Manager.
No, I do not have an account with money at TRP.

When problems crop up with the M* Portfolio Manager at TRP, I have read that even folks with money at TRP have the same problems.

I do not use the PortManager to calculate returns or performance, so I just don't care too much about transactions that are entered. I use the tool to look at my asset allocation because I do asset allocation by the 9-box style grid and US, foreign, bonds, cash shown in an X-ray and not by fund names.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #9

Thanks for the info LOL. So when you click that link do you hover over the Login and then click on Individual Investors? Then you enter your userid and password. Then on that next screen MY PROFILE at the top left what do you do?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Here is an update from someone about this:
Bogleheads • View topic - T.Rowe Price Portfolio Manager
Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow! This looks like exactly what I needed to monitor my holdings. I even have a small holding in a TRowe fund so should have access. Going to have some fun inputting and see if this works. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I played around with the "new" version at TRowePrice today.

A major problem I have with it is that it does not properly treat multiple instances of the same ticker symbol. For example, I own VSS in 3 different accounts, so I would like to enter VSS separately 3 times to show that. I can do that, but as soon as I add a 2nd transaction to one of the instances, bad things happen. It seems the 3 separate instances get glommed together somehow. It's clearly a bug in the software, but I also do not believe that they will fix it.

The Fidelity GPS tool has a similar problem in that it "sees" the first instance of a ticker symbol and ignores the subsequent ones.

The work-around is to have a single instance of a ticker symbol in the tool(s).

Thank goodness, I do not have that many holdings, so entering them by hand was like a nice relaxing sudoku puzzle.

BTW, the old version had less of a problem with multiple instances of the same ticker, but would not combine them in the presentation of "top 10 holdings" on the X-ray page.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #13

I have had it with TRP. These morons have ruined all the data I have entered over the past few years. I see today they migrated from where is was CORRECTLY stored into a new place/portfolio that is all screwed up, entries are all deposits vs reinvest or interest, individual entries are missing for sporadic dates and even multiple entries for several months (like most of 2012 and all of 2013). I even TRIED to create a new portfolio from 12/31/12 forwards and that was fraught with problems and I just said after an hour this is not worth it. That PM is the biggest piece of crap I ever saw. How they can allow that on their site is beyond me, this reflects EXTREMELY POORLY upon them. I changed my password, email, security questions to all garbage, deleted TRP from KeePass database and that's it for them.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #14

Just got my T Rowe account set up online. It took a while, as I had just done a change of address, and they wouldn't allow access for 15 days.
After repeated attempts to get the Morningstar going, and conversing with their help line, I was told that the Morningstar portfolio manager is only available to those with over $250,000 at TRowe.
My $8,000 doesn't quite qualify.
Oh well, at least I can now check my account and see whether I can afford an extra shot of espresso.
I'm still looking for a good analytical tool for inputting all my stock and fund holdings. May go direct to Morningstar, as I am familiar with their tool and really like it, but think it may be quite expensive. Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It still works for me and I have no money at TRowePrice.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

For comparison to other free online tools:

Fidelity guided portfolio summary:

Vanguard Portfolio watch:
Old 10-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #17

LOL, you must really be special. I get no respect. I remember telling my psychiatrist that I felt like I was a dog. He told me to get down off the couch.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #18

So far FIDO has been doing OK on loading all my stuff (FIDO and non-FIDO assets)