Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I think I've seen those in this neighborhood before. I understand that after attempting to mate, they silently pass away within a few hours. Ah, the Circle of Life...

I wouldn't know. Around my neck of the woods there is no closed season and no bag limit on 'em. They make the squeals that indicate an interest in mating and you know right where to shoot.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
gone traveling

Variable annuities are garbage, loaded with fees. glad we agree on something!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanp73 View Post
Variable annuities are garbage, loaded with fees. glad we agree on something!
OK, so what do you sell and from whom?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Junk bonds are also one of the easiest markets I know of to time. This has a lot to do with how these bonds are issued, bought, financed and managed. At the moment, I would not own any junk except the shortest, highest quality coupon-clipping stuff. Take a look where we are vs. historical spreads: BofA Merrill Lynch US High Yield Master II Option-Adjusted Spread (BAMLH0A0HYM2) - FRED - St. Louis Fed
Interesting M* discussion about HY bond spreads and default risks here: Default Rates and Credit Spreads - bonds
Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

"Take some volatility risk off table?"

I would not mind that, except that it tends to take potential gains off the table as well. And I like gains, lots of them whenever possible.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry if reviving this thread offends anybody (I came across it searching for VIX).

I was just wondering if a pre-planned variable allocation % might be a compromise... after longish run-up of stocks --> lower stock allocation towards wife, but then have a pre-planned commitment to increase allocation after -x% market pullback?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHoper View Post
Sorry if reviving this thread offends anybody (I came across it searching for VIX).

I was just wondering if a pre-planned variable allocation % might be a compromise... after longish run-up of stocks --> lower stock allocation towards wife, but then have a pre-planned commitment to increase allocation after -x% market pullback?
What happens if the market doesn't pull back and keeps going up? That has happened very often in the past.

Example, you get out and market goes down -5% but your plan calls for a -10% pullback. You get the pullback but only after the market is up 20% from your sell point. So you don't go back in, and the market goes up another few years.

This is easy to check out if you willing to do the work. Try to come up with an algorithm that has worked over maybe 50 years. Let us know what it is.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi SV,
You are entertaining the thought of market timing. I agree with Rick Ferri, "Market timing is an exercise in futility before costs and a money wasting activity after costs. Whether any market timing strategy works is a coin flip; and what worked this week may not work next week."
Advisers Are Dead Even On Market Timing
Old 02-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

I am not entertaining the idea of market timing (in this fashion)... but I think the OP wanted 65% stock and his wife 45% so I was just suggesting that there may be another solution to a single 55% compromise, if he considers a slightly dynamic range depending upon market conditions.

Since he was responding to market conditions in the first place, I didn't think it would be luring him to the dark side to suggest considering a pre-planned version.

Personally, I have never sold anything low so don't really indulge much in market-timing. Although I would bet a LOT of money that there will be a 10% correction - I have no idea when it will be so it is not really actionable (other than to accelerate my move of some new cash into the market if it is not already in).

The way I figure: if he picks 45-50% and market keeps going up without ever having a 10% correction then wife is happy with lower allocation and he is happy and has enough stocks to fund retirement.

Whereas if a correction does occur... he buys low to increase his allocation to 55-60%
Old 02-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Foreigh bonds tend to have low correlations with US equities and fixed income, which is the reason I like them as a portfolio component. I think highly of the people who manage GIM, so I am happy to buy at a discount to NAV.

I am about 30% in fixed income. Including the foreign bond fund, only half is market sensitive (i.e. mark to market like a bond fund), the rest is in instruments like a CD that accrue interest and can be withdrawn at book value (possibly with a small penalty). Given the chance totake some profits at what I would consider an attractive price, I would further reduce my bond fund exposure.
I have my wife's Roth in GIM and have since 2005. I do "time" it based on yield and price; I'm currently almost all in. (Five year return is 12.79. The 3 years before that was 9.9). I also own some total return (including Pimco Total R in my wife's IRA and Doubline in mine) as well as high yield, short term, and Fidelity New Markets (emerging) and Floating. I've bought some closed end munis, not so successfully last year but more successfully recently. I reduced duration slowly the last 30 months and sold the TIP fund and now am considering dollar cost averaging into intermediate/long term. Now that TIP funds aren't negative yield I'll look at them. It would be simpler just to pile a lot in Total Bond, plus one or two of the Total Return, and a smaller position in the emerging market and floating, which is a goal eventually when I return next year or mid year the year after, when I can consolidate some accounts.