Join Early Retirement Today

Taking Care of Grandkids
Old 11-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Taking Care of Grandkids

I was wondering how many of you are spending your early retirement babysitting the grandchildren. Are you enjoying it or do you feel you're a little too handy now?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyOutsourced View Post
I was wondering how many of you are spending your early retirement babysitting the grandchildren. Are you enjoying it or do you feel you're a little too handy now?
Just once in a while for us. Jobs, school etc take up a lot of their time

Old 11-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #3

DW does that occasionally for grandnieces which she enjoys immensely despite the two-hour drive. It is not a regular thing though, calling her is "Plan C" for the nephew so it happens about three, maybe four, times a year.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would love to have grandchildren to babysit, at least every once in awhile! Alas, I have a thirty year old unmarried son so no grandkids on the horizon.

My friends who are grandmothers invite me on trips to the park, zoo, playgrounds so as to enjoy their grandchildren with them.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do it regularly but not often enough, from my POV. My granddaughter is a delight. Her parents are well off, so they realize that giving her to me is a favor to me, and usually more of an emergency plan for them than a week to week go-to.

She is five and I would rather hear her opinions about things than those of most adults.

Ha
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am doing it right now for the 2 year old big sister whose newborn baby sister will be home from the hospital tomorrow. Joyous but exhausting. They do have a nanny during the workweek plus the other grandparents so we are not called upon for everyday childcare. I figure we will be able to demand payback in a few years.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My daughter lives a distance from me so I only get to do it when we are together. I adore my grandsons but would not like a daily babysitting job.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW and I are babysitting right now!

DS forget to let us know that his DW (our DIL) is traveling on business a couple of days this week, the nanny has class tonight, and the youngest grandson has soccer. So, we're here with the two oldest (11 and 12) while dad and the youngest are at soccer and nanny is at class.

We don't get called on for any regular babysitting but do get these kind of "urgent-help-I forgot" calls from time to time. And if we're free (we have such a busy social life you know) we get a kick out of popping over for a few hours. It's about a half hour drive.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

We have established with our daughter that we will babysit the three grand kids when her day to day paid babysitter arrangements are not available, if it does not conflict with our own schedule. We will not babysit on a regular schedule. We probably average babysitting once per week for 2 hours. The arrangement seems to work for all of us.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Well, this isn't ER anymore after so many yrs, but we get up at 3:30AM every Monday to get to the airport to fly 350mi, take a 1.5 hr bus ride involving 2 transfers, then babysit during the wk; every Friday at 5:30PM we reverse the process to do a touch-and-go wkend catching up w/ the mail and the lawn, then repeat.

We think we're exploiting the parents since we get to see our 9 mo. old (&first) grandkid......the princess and the tyrant simultaneously......more than they do.....during the wk anyway. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that won't last forever so I'm sure we will greet w/ mixed feelings her admission to daycare. Until then, we will enjoy being exploited.....
Old 11-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Our daughter became a single mom with a deadbeat husband this spring and she was paying almost $1200 a month for daycare. So when I retired in July I started watching our granddaughter on Mondays. It's a one hour drive to her house but it saves her almost $400 a month and it gives me a chance to be with her and help her around the house too! Funny thing is she lives just a few miles from where I was working before I retired so I still get to make that drive but it's only once a week now
Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #12

DW and I do it every chance we get and love every minute with the two grandkids ages 5 and 7.