Join Early Retirement Today

Talk about rocking the boat - what happened this morning?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Talk about rocking the boat - what happened this morning?

I mean, VTI, total stock market, down 4.44% this morning at 8:15 pacific? OTOH, physical gold topped $1820/oz.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Turmoil returned to the stock markets on Thursday, as renewed concerns about the U.S. and global economies sent major indexes plunging and pushed gold to a new record high.
Investors rushed to move their money into safe U.S. government bonds -- and yields on the benchmark 10-year Treasury fell to a record low below 2%.
Investors were walloped by bad news on multiple fronts: Morgan Stanley put out a dismal forecast for global economic growth. A key reading on housing came in worse than expected. And a report showed a significant slowdown in manufacturing.
TN_INVEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Pardon me for not buying that explanation. Bill and Jane on Main woke up this morning and said "hey - yesterday we felt great, but today we have renewed concerns"? My conspiracy gauge says day trading computer algorithms. and I'm not even clear what an algorithm is.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
.... I'm not even clear what an algorithm is.
The internet rhythm method of contraception was invented by Al Gore over 20 years ago
Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

And to think....here in Canada, our housing market etc is doing well and the TSX is dropping like flies. Go figure......

Howdy Neighbours.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
... I'm not even clear what an algorithm is.
An algorithm is a song written by this guy:
Attached Images
File Type: png T-Al.png (21.8 KB, 267 views)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

(im)Patiently waiting with a pocket full of cash and an itchy trigger finger.

Trying to get a bead on how bad the European banking system is. They've been drawing heavy on their Reserves at the Fed recently - which means the interbank lending market isn't working again. Bad news. The Fed looking into the U.S. ops of Europe's banks is one of the things that has the market spooked.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The internet rhythm method of contraception was invented by Al Gore over 20 years ago
Thank you. There is a certain circular perfection to your explanation. So in this age of internet trading we are all f**ked, but nothing is liable to come of it?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
gone traveling

I can't help but feel the game is rigged and the house always wins. I think wallstreet (and the computers) is on the verge of killing the goose that laid the golden egg, with many older/mainstreet investors bailing and apt to never return to the market any time soon, if ever.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wonder if 20% drop from the high triggers selling like the drop below the 200 day moving average.

Point being sell orders might to automatic.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I followed G4G's foot steps and sold some TIPS this morning. It gives me fresh liquidities for future bargain shopping.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I followed G4G's foot steps and sold some TIPS this morning. It gives me fresh liquidities for future bargain shopping.
Yup. Those freaking things are back up around where I sold them. Craziness.

Just minutes ago I used about a quarter of the proceeds to buy back some of the equities I sold in April. Itchy trigger finger was too much for me.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I have to admit this seemed sudden, even after last week's volatility.

I am SO GLAD that my asset allocation is as originally planned (after trying 5% more stocks earlier this summer and confirming that I am not at all comfortable with that AA). Anyway, I am back at my good ol' 45:55 and all set for another round of rollercoaster rides.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

No no.... its all on the up and up... level playing field for you and them!

Quote:
Don’t blame Washington or Europe for the recent steep declines in global equities, blame the high frequency traders. Two legendary fund managers, Marvin Schwartz of Neuberger Berman and Leon Cooperman of Omega Advisors both told CNBC on Thursday that the high frequency trading programs are the cause of the crazy volatility.
“High frequency trading is the biggest drag on the market. They add nothing to the market and do nothing for the economy,” Schwartz said on CNBC.
Legendary Investors Blame High Frequency Traders For Steep Mkt Declines - Forbes

Quote:
High-frequency trading is a technique that relies on the rapid and automated placement of orders, many of which are immediately updated or canceled, as part of strategies such as market making and statistical arbitrage and tactics based on momentum. It accounted for about 53 percent of trading earlier this year, down from 61 percent in 2009, according to Tabb Group LLC, a New York-based financial industry research firm. In 2006 it was 26 percent of the market, Tabb said.
Quote:
U.S. prosecutors have joined a regulatory investigation into whether some high-speed traders are manipulating markets by posting and immediately canceling waves of rapid-fire orders, two officials said in April. Justice Department investigators are working with the SEC to review practices “that are potentially manipulative,” according to Marc Berger, chief of the Securities and Commodities Task Force at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York.
High-Frequency Firms Tripled Trades Amid Rout, Wedbush Says - Bloomberg

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #15

Thanks for sharing the info on high frequency trading.

Computers do a lot of good things, but this isn't one of them

I realize this is a VERY simple view, but aren't we supposed to buy or sell a stock based on the merits of the company?

Shorting, high frequency trading, etc is at its most benign legalized gambling and at its worst market manipulation....I am getting FED UP with the market in its current form (way too computerized) but there are no other real options for an investor.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
gone traveling

I really wish that new rules were implemented to cut out this baloney (eg stock/ETF buys must be held for minimum 5 trading days)
Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I can't help but feel the game is rigged and the house always wins. I think wallstreet (and the computers) is on the verge of killing the goose that laid the golden egg, with many older/mainstreet investors bailing and apt to never return to the market any time soon, if ever.
Always seems to bring up comments similar to "transferring of wealth from the inexperienced to the wise".

Some are afraid (of losses) and some are excited (sale prices) - as long as the back and forth of the market continues, I don't see it dying anytime soon (just an increase in market money flows - some winners, some losers).
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Thanks for sharing the info on high frequency trading.

Computers do a lot of good things, but this isn't one of them

I realize this is a VERY simple view, but aren't we supposed to buy or sell a stock based on the merits of the company?

Shorting, high frequency trading, etc is at its most benign legalized gambling and at its worst market manipulation....I am getting FED UP with the market in its current form (way too computerized) but there are no other real options for an investor.
High frequency trading has been around for many years. The old adage of looking at the merits of a company still holds true. In today's volitile market, there are some good companies with solid balance sheets that are "on sale" compared to their current price. Unfortunately, most people are too lazy to do their homework, and as a result, are scared of volatility that might cause swings in the prices of such stocks by 10-20% based solely on market momentum.

A rising tide may lift all boats, but it's only when the tide goes out that you can see which ones are leaking.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I really wish that new rules were implemented to cut out this baloney (eg stock/ETF buys must be held for minimum 5 trading days)
Another way to do that is through a financial transaction tax, as recently proposed in Europe. That would eliminate the profitability of the razor thin margins captured by high-frequency traders.

I don't have a strong view on the merits of this particular idea, but I'm generally favorable to the notion of taxing things we want less of. If we want less speculative trading, it makes sense to tax that instead of taxing things we want more of . . . like saving, investing and working (and no, high-frequency trading isn't saving or investing).
Old 08-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Always seems to bring up comments similar to "transferring of wealth from the inexperienced to the wise".

Some are afraid (of losses) and some are excited (sale prices) - as long as the back and forth of the market continues, I don't see it dying anytime soon (just an increase in market money flows - some winners, some losers).
Right, the inexperienced do not have a staff of 100 PhD's developing quantitative algorithms that are executed via computers/high speed data lines positioned in close proximity to wall street.